Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to imagine it will run games just like unpatched titles do on Scorpio -> max AF + CPU/GPU boost. Unpatched Scorpio titles only saw half the GPU too, so Lockhart should be very capable of maxing out framerates and dynamic resolution.

edit:
I daresay as a 1080p TV user that I'd prefer to have Halo 5 @1080p with max AF than 4K with no AF. :p (not that I want Halo 5)

It'll be curious to see if the XSX will enhance Scorpio titles with forced AF. That would make things great.

Last edited:
This takes a little of the shine off the XSS, but it should at least run X1S titles pegged to their fps cap and at max dynamic res without much/any extra work. More positives than negatives at that price.
1S is fairly weak piece of machinery and not all BC titles were perfect. So I suspect it will largely improve performance on all 1S titles and 1S BC titles. Dynamic resolution will be maxed out; etc.

One thing that is nice from the DF video, it's evident that there's a possibility to run XBO-S titles at between 60-120 FPS. I think they mentioned Gears 5 running on XSS at 120 FPS.

That will help significantly with image clarity and image quality when compared to XBO-S. However, that's a MS title and they can always mess around with the rendering settings to potentially get the XBO-X version of the game running on XBSS...at 120 FPS.

I could potentially see some 3rd party developers doing something similar if they see a potential to sell some XBO gen titles on XBSS by slightly modifying quality settings of the XBO-X versions of titles.

It'd definitely be more the exception than the rule, however.

Regards,
SB

One thing that is nice from the DF video, it's evident that there's a possibility to run XBO-S titles at between 60-120 FPS. I think they mentioned Gears 5 running on XSS at 120 FPS.

That will help significantly with image clarity and image quality when compared to XBO-S. However, that's a MS title and they can always mess around with the rendering settings to potentially get the XBO-X version of the game running on XBSS...at 120 FPS.

I could potentially see some 3rd party developers doing something similar if they see a potential to sell some XBO gen titles on XBSS by slightly modifying quality settings of the XBO-X versions of titles.

It'd definitely be more the exception than the rule, however.

Regards,
SB
The upcoming CoD will have a 120fps mode on XSS just like on XSX and PS5.

The upcoming CoD will have a 120fps mode on XSS just like on XSX and PS5.
the CPU has a lot to do with that. A person gifted me a 1060 3GB a couple of years ago, I used it very little, but sometimes I gave a rest to my GTX 1080 and switched it on my PC for the 1060 3GB, and I achieved the same framerates that the GTX 1080 on non CPU limited games, just by dropping the resolution of graphics effects, or both.

the CPU has a lot to do with that. A person gifted me a 1060 3GB a couple of years ago, I used it very little, but sometimes I gave a rest to my GTX 1080 and switched it on my PC for the 1060 3GB, and I achieved the same framerates that the GTX 1080 on non CPU limited games, just by dropping the resolution of graphics effects, or both.

Yes its what DF said ;)

This takes a little of the shine off the XSS, but it should at least run X1S titles pegged to their fps cap and at max dynamic res without much/any extra work. More positives than negatives at that price.
I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be shocked if a lot of people didn't think the XSS is nothing but a diskless version of the XSX.

Indeed it is. Incidentally, there are more TVs out there with 1080p/1440p120fps support than there are that supports 4k120fps.
You beat me to it. A lot of people have TVs that can be 4K and they can do 120Hz, but can they do 4K at 120Hz, with HDR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back