Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we don't know for sure. This is the problem when you don't show actual gameplay, you can control stuff. The first footage of Horizon 1 was mainly gameplay so there was no doubt of the final result, no ambiguity. Here they made the bold choice of impressing the gamers with their cutscene, which they did, but they certainly didn't impress that much the technicaly minded people like they did with Horizon 1.
That's true of course, we'll have to wait for actual gameplay for that. But if you recall when HZD was first revealed there was a realtime cutscene trailer shown right before the gameplay and the visual fidelity between the two was pretty darn close. All I'm saying is if GG keeps a similar trend with the sequel then we're in good hands.

i'm sure the character will be exactly the samme, minus maybe added light sources like it's the norm in cutscenes, and i'm also sure there are things in the sceneray that will be enhanced for the final game, in the trailer you can spot some trees that are straight out of HZD1, look like placeholders for an unfinished game.

Also i read from some people that it looked no better than what a PS4 pro only HZD would look, and now it's supposed to not be realtime ? ^^

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I don't really believe it, at least for the underwater scene, and the "beast" waking up in the pond. Time will tell anyway.
Believe it. Notice the Captured on PS5 on lower right.
image_horizon_forbidden_west-42164-4519_0007.jpg

image_horizon_forbidden_west-42164-4519_0001.jpg

As ridiculously good looking as the game is, it's in fact realtime. Every time when Sony share screenshots with "Captured on PS4 tm" it's guaranteed to be real time and I don't see it changing with "Captured on PS5 tm".

Every time when Sony share screenshots with "Captured on PS4 tm" it's guaranteed to be real time and I don't see it changing with "Captured on PS5 tm".

Just like last of us 2, UC4 etc? It means as much as in-engine to me. Which would mean HB2 could be representative of what we get, blowing HZFW out of the water.

Believe it. Notice the Captured on PS5 on lower right.

As ridiculously good looking as the game is, it's in fact realtime. Every time when Sony share screenshots with "Captured on PS4 tm" it's guaranteed to be real time and I don't see it changing with "Captured on PS5 tm".
You are not going to change someone's mind/thought process. People will believe what they believe even if things are shown contrarily to what they believe.

Just like last of us 2, UC4 etc?
Yes. Doesn't mean there won't be downgrades in the final game, but it shows what the engine is producing in realtime on the hardware in a carefully tailored trailer. Rootax said he didn't believe it was running realtime on a PS5. Short of Sony outright lying, we can take that as true and the game being what is attainable on PS5 hardware.

I can understand the tendency to doubt because of the heightened attention on the "Here is what was Shown. Here is what was Delivered" topics. But this happens with nearly everything. Healthy skepticism is fine. At least you won't be disappointed. ;)
Death Stranding was another game where people didn't believe the graphics were real. Turns out ...

And
Yes. Doesn't mean there won't be downgrades in the final game, but it shows what the engine is producing in realtime on the hardware in a carefully tailored trailer. Rootax said he didn't believe it was running realtime on a PS5. Short of Sony outright lying, we can take that as true and the game being what is attainable on PS5 hardware.
Once upon a time Sony showed a rendered on PS3 trailer for Last Guardian. Only after the game was released on PS4 did we find out in a post mortem interview that the game only ran at 15ish FPS on PS3 and they rendered it out and doubled the playback speed for the presentation. This isn't to say that I don't believe that Horizon's footage isn't what we should expect a next gen Horizon to look like. Even if something like the turtle standing up could be hypothetically unachievable on the hardware (again, I don't think it's impossible), there's nothing stopping that scene from using prerendered elements composited with realtime models like Rise of the Tomb Raider did for some scenes, played back on a PS5 and captured.

Horizon looks like what we should expect from a generational leap in graphics, but "Captured on PS5" means just as much as "In Engine" means.

Just like last of us 2, UC4 etc? It means as much as in-engine to me. Which would mean HB2 could be representative of what we get, blowing HZFW out of the water.

This is realtime but a cutscene and maybe gameplay on the scene when she rides a charger (robot) but from a cinematic perspective. For all we know like Digitalfoundry told HB2 is maybe using game assets but prerendered. After out of Senua, the scene with the Vikings on the beach I don't see what is extraordinary about the trailer.

They let LOD popin in a prerendered trailer and SSR. :LOL: This is coming from HFW trailer. After this the same reaction to each generation... This is a new generation with this time much better streaming capacity, more powerful APU, more RAM, memory bandwidth.

i'm sure the character will be exactly the samme, minus maybe added light sources like it's the norm in cutscenes, and i'm also sure there are things in the sceneray that will be enhanced for the final game, in the trailer you can spot some trees that are straight out of HZD1, look like placeholders for an unfinished game.

Also i read from some people that it looked no better than what a PS4 pro only HZD would look, and now it's supposed to not be realtime ? ^^

It seems coming from HZD directly. I think some assets for snow environment are from HZD and will improve a lot. Other part are new asset for Horizon 2

mas-hein-team-green-003.jpg

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DVNAE

Last edited:
Every game should game that Dynamic Resolution Target FPS setting. imho. Oddly enough I was downloading F1 2018 for gamepass PC today and then this video appears. Gotta play F1 2018 at 165fps -plus it supports HDR-.

I have to say, the DF item about F1 2020 gave a very different impression of the game from what I’m experiencing now that I’ve bought it. I’ve had two hard crashes, which basically never happened with any other game ever for a long time. The HDR lighting is unimpressive - barely notice any difference versus normal - and there are lots of parts of the game that are downright janky.

I have to say, the DF item about F1 2020 gave a very different impression of the game from what I’m experiencing now that I’ve bought it. I’ve had two hard crashes, which basically never happened with any other game ever for a long time.
I thought you meant car pile-ups for a moment there. ;)

Heh! Twitter suggest that every time you beat a rival in Time Trial the game crashes, seemingly also on other platforms like PC.

The jankiness I was talking about also relates to most of the animations like in the pits and pitcrew etc. Which have weird aliasing, texture pop in and very shoddy framerates.

The force feedback also isn’t amazing. My son went straight back to GT Sport. On the other hand the driving model is ok, and certainly the graphics are most of the time much sharper than the live broadcast I am watching now. [emoji23]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back