Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why give the number at this point? Does it really matter? The numbers may not be finalized. They're just trying to give people an impression of what it will be like, and saying it's 2x an X or 4x a One S a concept the average consumer can wrap their head around.

That's what i mean actually, i see people throwing numbers everywhere, from 8 to 16TF or even higher, but we have no information at all how many it will be. Phil only said 'twice as powerfull', and people can do what they want with that :)

@Dictator dat fire place! John is also looking good, healthier, good skin tone, looks like he may have lost some weight.

Good episode; agree on all points. Glad they took the effort to look for ray tracing spots here and there.
Thanks for the kind words, will relay it to John :)
I think we, like people here have been reasonably saying, just want some firm numbers on official channels rather than rumour mill secondary sources saying things. MS decided to Phrase the Gpu Power Thing in a way that consumers can get, but one that makes people on forums like this just a bit frustrated on what they mean.
Either way, the Gpu is looking good. Just want to see how AMD RT Implementation works out.
Alex is correct.
It's a soft "g".
Hahaa

I believe it was confirmed it was in-engine and real-time in another interview. But that's not really important I guess with respect to Alex's article here.
Key take away is that the video was there to showcase what the target for next generation visuals are expected to be and so in that regard I do feel most people walked away with the feeling of understanding the difference between today's games and what next gen will be selling.

We will know more in 2020; Sony is bound to have such a demo when they do their PS5 reveal. If it's in the same ballpark that's a good sign of things to come.

I wonder if it's more expensive or less expensive to do the graphics for these types of games. In many ways I recall the artists making high detailed versions of textures and models and then be forced to scale downwards to meet game requirements. But if they don't have to; then I guess it saves labour?

But then the detail is insane. Quite curious to see what studio costs will be on next gen games.

I believe it was confirmed it was in-engine and real-time in another interview. But that's not really important I guess with respect to Alex's article here.
Key take away is that the video was there to showcase what the target for next generation visuals are expected to be and so in that regard I do feel most people walked away with the feeling of understanding the difference between today's games and what next gen will be selling.

We will know more in 2020; Sony is bound to have such a demo when they do their PS5 reveal. If it's in the same ballpark that's a good sign of things to come.

Sony will do like last PS meeting and show gameplay. We will have a good idea of launch game visual.

Last edited:
Sony will do like last PS meeting and show gamepla. We will have a good idea of launch game visual.
That's the thing. They already showed gameplay (sure a PC / PS5 game, but so like Hellblade 2). The first official PS5 game that they showed at the Game award had some impressive gameplay and at even 60fps (not 24fps). I think it would have being a more interesting analysis than an "in-engine cutscene" analysis. We already heard that one with notably Uncharted 4 with the 60fps in-engine trailer.

We will have a good idea of launch game visual.

We already have that with the HellBlade 2 showcase, it is about what to expect. It is cleary a generation apart from what we got on consoles.

"It is good to be skeptical. Managing expectations regarding next-gen.” -Alex Battaglia

Words that can’t be stated enough for all next-generation platforms involved.

Have said it before, this time is the best regarding next generation consoles, the hype is real now already.

We already have that with the HellBlade 2 showcase, it is about what to expect. It is cleary a generation apart from what we got on consoles.

Have said it before, this time is the best regarding next generation consoles, the hype is real now already.

We will have gameplay this is a bit different... no in engine... ;)

Aha ok, good to know, the hellblade demo was there to show what ingame graphics are going to be. It's about what i would expect from ballpark 10TF navi hardware.
Wrong. For all we know inengine especially the non real time ones could be very far fetched to what ingame graphics would look. Even nowadays with Battlefield series, their inengine trailers look way above what the actual gameplay looks like. You can't possibly get a clear idea of what the next gen gameplay would look until we see actual next gen gameplay footage, simple as that. That said we can be hopeful tho, that with the radical improvement of next gen hardware the gap will shrink but we don't know that for sure yet.

It may be comparable to the Uncharted 4 reveal: in-game it doesn't look as good, but there's something wrong with you if that's appreciable during gameplay.

As a slight aside, I think all of Uncharted 4's cutscenes were rendered in real-time, certainly most were. It's not a deal breaker for me, but it is an approach that I prefer to pre-recorded - even if pre-recorded in-engine - just for coherence when it comes to costumes/equipment.

Like I say, it's not that big of a deal, but I enjoyed seeing Drake play Elena's PS1 whilst wearing a full scuba outfit. Or, less flippantly, Geralt looking resplendent in the armour that I'd crafted by murdering scores of foul beasts... who, come to think of it, only seemed to be going about their day when I came charging in, flailing with my silver sword, and flinging poison, fire, and arrows at them.

In engine but not real-time means the graphics can be dialled up to 11. eg. Your engine could support raytracing...running at 4 fps. You disable that for the game, but you enable it when rendering the cutscenes one frame at a time and dumping them to a video. That way you get to use the same assets but at far superior quality. Perhaps the best example of this is a Unity game on mobile. You could use the Unity Engine to render something like Book of the Dead/Heretic for a mobile game, run it either on a high end PC or at 0.001fps on mobile, and label it 'in engine', and then use completely different mobile-level graphics for gameplay.

The most important piece of info for any trailer is 'realtime on target hardware'.

"Alex Battaglia and John Linneman join forces to discuss their personal selections for the best gaming visuals of 2019, spanning both the console and PC spaces. Whether you're looking for the best graphics or simply some phenomenal gameplay experiences, all of these titles are strongly recommended!"

Death Stranding sure looks to be on the top, it's by far the most photorealistic game I've seen, really can't wait to see Decima on PS5!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back