Deus Ex 3

What this game needs to have is open areas and some freeform gameplay that allows you to choose how to solve the problem at hand. That was one of the highlights of the first DX that DX2 screwed all to hell, among other things.

That first Liberty Island mission, with all of its openness and various gameplay opportunities, was one amazing first impression. DX2 never did anything as expansive as that, but the game does have a few redeeming qualities....

in my experience the 360 can hold its own against a 8800; it certainly isn't in another league.
:oops:
You need to play some multiplatform games that are on both PC and 360, on an 8800GTX (lets go with that member of the fam), at 1280x720, and see the resulting triple framerate or so. A nice example that comes to mind would be Oblivion, where you can run max AF and AA plus a texture pack that's larger than all of 360's RAM and still have the game run faster than 360 will run it stock. And Mass Effect, which stutters and pops in textures on 360, gets eaten alive by the 8800 again with AA and AF. First hand experience here. I have no doubt that the 360 CPU is part of the problem here too though, but it is part of the package.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda liked the intro's mood and gameplay related content.

But those screens have such obviously hand painted elements that I'm surprised noone's calling bullshot alert yet :)
Although adding the Square CGI team has certainly created some pretty nice converted ingame assets too.

wth ?
Why isn't this topic oogling with excitement ?
Let me ingnite the flame !

I am totally drolling right now at the trailer. But I need gameplay footage to be convinced.

And who cares that the 360 can't hold a candle to a 8800. The vast majority of gamers don't have highend hardware with those not constrained by their IGPs are mostly dependent on mid to low ranged cards that are 1 to 2 generations old. The consoles are a different market and DX3 will be compared to highend titles on those systems.

Furthermore, even though keyboards allow a complexity impossible on a controller, most games on the PC like DX1 were perfectly playable without relying on a bunch of keyboard stokes during action sequences on the PC. I don't understand why most developer just forego the realtime item/power selection on consoles that are pretty easy with KM and go with a pause based radial menus (one for each stick for selection) and append those to the bumpers (to bring up and turn off menus) which would put them to good use.

Not going to get excited until I know if the gameplay is closer to Deus Ex 1 or 2. If it's closer to 1 then I'll be the first to start drooling. If it's closer to 2, they might as well just throw it in the trash right now.

Hell, I'd be jumping for joy if the gameplay was like Deus Ex 1 with craptacular graphics. And I'd still throw it away if gameplay was like Deus Ex 2 but had graphics completely blowing away any game ever made.

Regards,
SB

I dunno, I kind of like the idea of punching through a wall and busting someone's neck then turning invisible and walking away. Call me old fashioned.

I dunno, I kind of like the idea of punching through a wall and busting someone's neck then turning invisible and walking away. Call me old fashioned.

That's the silliest part. Have to wonder what exactl that poor thug did to get mangled like that, since the dude didn't even want to get through the hole he made and clearly was in stealth mode.

Heh, it's just a CGI trailer, it's job is to look cool. Although we do put some thought behind stuff that happens in our movies... but in the end it's the client's wishes that matter. Eidos wanted to see that skill demonstrated so it had to happen and that's all ;)

When they were shopping the job around before the Square takeover, there was no word about anything else but an intro/E3 trailer... But I'd be happy to see another game with more cinematics, they're just too rare these days.

When they were shopping the job around before the Square takeover, there was no word about anything else but an intro/E3 trailer... But I'd be happy to see another game with more cinematics, they're just too rare these days.

Anathema!
Games are huge, risky, expensive projects even without firehosing millions down the drain with CG. Every penny spent on this (admittedly beautiful) trailer is money not spent improving the game.

Oooh but did you see that 25 minutes in Halo Wars by Blur Studios? Almost like a short movie on its own, sooooo cool. I wanna see more like that!

(And I wanna work on more like that... these super short schedules for 2-3 minutes are kinda stressing)

By the way think about these "intro" movies as just another part of the marketing campaign. They're almost always used to introduce the game's setting and features quickly and memorably in a dramatized way. There's a reason why publishers keep spending such money trying to grab the "best trailer of E3" title...

Oooh but did you see that 25 minutes in Halo Wars by Blur Studios? Almost like a short movie on its own, sooooo cool. I wanna see more like that!

Best part of Halo Wars and main reason I didn't regret buying it. I live for GOOD CG cinematics in games. Also why I continue to love Blizzard games.

Game engine rendered cinematics just don't pack any lasting punch.

Hell, I still go back and occasionally load up Halo Wars or throw in the Diablo II CE and Warcraft III CE cinematics DVDs just to rewatch the awesome CG cinematics. /drool...

Regards,
SB

Back