DC Universe Online ???

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by eastmen, Apr 9, 2010.

1. patsu

Legend

In the first place, the whole concept of dressing up in colorful suits to indicate you have special powers is weird. Wild animals need bright colors to advertise that they may be poisonous, superheroes don't really need that (See Batman, Invisible Man :lol:). May be they think by making themselves easy to spot, it's less work because criminals will moderate their behaviour.

Then again, superheroes were invented when N. America was in deep shit. So may be no one cares if Superman was (still is) wearing his pair of bright red thongs outside when he could tackle huge problems. The artists probably thought that he needed a colorful characters to brighten up the dull, dreadful real world too.

So today, to fix the problem you complain, you'll have to take it to the comics world first.

Also, have you been to Folsom Parade in San Francisco ? I think you underestimated the shock value. We had to wheel our Asian friend's old mother away quickly coz she nearly died of heart attack there. She demanded her son to return to their country with her after the parade. :lol: :lol:

2. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Superman the first Super hero was in the 1938 so I don't think we were in deep shit. I think the rest of the world was getting into deep shit.

Anyway characters like batman have dark costumes cause they are guys in an outfit with no powers. If batman gets shot he is dead. Its actually his excuse for the bat symbol on his chest. He explains it that its easier to pad your chest with kevlar than your head.

Superman and others that bullets can't hurt use bright colors so that they are attacked instead of others.

I played the game for awhile today , its not bad at all but it isn't great. Its better than champions online.

3. patsu

Legend

4. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

From your own link

Superman was the first super hero. Before him it was all mystery comics . In fact DC comics is named after thier first comic series Detective comics but batman wasn't in this comic untill years later.

He came out in 1938 so i guess it all comes down to what we consider the end of the depression

5. patsu

Legend

He's talking about his times. but there were others ahead of him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow (He wasn't colorful though).

6. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Funny considering i was just at a panel about the history of super heros and they never once mentioned the shadow as a super hero. They did talk alot about Superman being the first super hero and thus how super hero got its name.

Prob cause of this from your link

7. patsu

Legend

Superman is the prototype for many of today's superheroes.

8. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

well regarldess lets stop argueing in this thread ,we can take it to pm's but the first super hero was superman. The shadow was a radio show and a pulp novel magazine.

If you disagree i will continue to disagree through pm

9. patsu

Legend

Superheroes do not exist exclusively in comics only. The Phantom (1936) also predates Superman.

I'm not the one who made this up. Someone else mentioned that superheroes comics thrived during The Great Depression over NPR. And I read a few articles that say this too.

10. patsu

Legend

11. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I was at both panels. The first one was a normal panel , the second one was special. we sat at tables , they fed us hot dogs , ice cream , open bar. Then we had a qa that was basicly what we did at the other panel , almost the same exact questions. Then we all got posters that two guys signed (not jim lee) and vip keys and then we got to go. It was okay. nice that we didn't have to buy $4 hot dogs and $8 beers tho.

12. patsu

Legend

Wow, the entire beta game occupies 16GB of disc space. Will have to clean up my HDD to check it out.

13. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

been playing it since e3 nyc and it just stinks. Its not as bad as final fantasy online that just came out , but its bad. Its inbetween champions and city of heros . Hopeflly they delay it again.

14. patsu

Legend

I will wait for the next patch then ! :)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/15/welcome-new-dc-universe-online-beta-testers/

15. patsu

Legend

Read from GAF that a new patch has been released for PS3.

Patch note:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3968342/Patch-Notes-1220.html#3968342

16. patsu

Legend

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/21/dc-universe-online-enlisting-recruits-jan-11-in-na-jan-14-in/

17. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Pretty buggy right now, but that's rather to be expected from an MMO. (Especially one they're trying to jam on the PS3.) Only one complete freeze so far, so it's got that going for it... right? :razz:

Haven't played a whole lot of it yet to determine the "it stinks" factor. It comes off pretty wonky if you're expecting it to act and play like other MMO's... it really seems to want to eschew that and go straight to "3rd person action/brawler." Which may well be the largest problem, because repetitive 3PA's with shallow combat are bad enough, but an MMO version will be super-repetitive, and housed in a template which doesn't even deliver a real storyline to go through, and is trying to extend your playtime to all hell and back, and...

FFXIV was pretty obviously a confusing shitpile right after you got past the first story arc, and so far DCO hasn't been THAT bad... It looks like you may have enough fun stuff to play with, but I don't think it's attached to a workable template. Certainly not one that's going to appeal on top of all the usual MMO annoyances.

Right now, I would mainly recommend it to mentor under the Joker so you can listen to Mark Hamill's voice acting. :razz:

18. patsu

Legend

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-01-24-dc-universe-is-soes-fastest-selling-game-ever

19. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

a shame , its such a bad game

20. patsu

Legend

This is surprising to me:
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1145646p1.html