DC Universe Online ???

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
Anyone know wht happened to this game ? I got to play it at Comic Con in NYC last time was held. But i haven't seen anything about this game. Shouldn't it be out already ?

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dc-comics-mmo/
http://ps3.gamespy.com/playstation-3/dc-comics-mmo/

Seems like its dead with no news updates since July 2009 .

I got to play it at comic con as I said and it was fun , much more fun than Champions online was at the time (or mabye even at release !!!)

It's reportedly a simultaneous release. And it needs to be, or I expect PC sales would cannibalise PS3 sales.

Yap, their first PS3 game, FreeRealm, will be demoed in E3 for the first time:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1425616&postcount=88

EDIT: Kotaku says November release is for PS3 and PC:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/02/dc-universe-online-enters-this-universe-in-november/

At a recent press event in LA, Sony Online Entertainment revealed a November release window for PlayStation 3 and PC MMO DC Universe Online (the company declined to comment on the possible effects of bridging our universe with DC's). When we pressed for a more solid release date, an SOE rep kept mum, but reiterated that both PS3 and PC iterations of the title would arrive at retail simultaneously later this year.

A developer interview on GameTrailers says they're playing PS3 vs. PC in the office. Whether that makes it into release depends on business decisions (it really should to promote PS3 MMOs in general) but the game sounds as done on PS3 as PC.

http://www.massively.com/2010/07/26/sdcc-2010-you-can-play-as-iconic-characters-massivelys-interv/

Massively: What do you have planned for the iconic characters in DCUO?

Mike: The number one thing everyone always asks is, "Oh, DC Universe, can I be Superman? Can I be Batman? Can I be Green Lantern," and we're like, "No, no, no, they already exist." You can't have a hundred Supermans flying around at the same time. What we're announcing now is that you can play as the iconics.

How we do this is that throughout the game you actually find "sim cards," like you find a Batman sim card. You collect these cards, and once you get into the PvP side of the game, then you can actually play as the iconic heroes or villains on whatever card you just collected.

DC Universe Online is entering beta next week:

Are they just going to be random world drops, or boss drops?

We're jumping into beta next week. That's where we're really going to start planning out where these drop to really make it worthwhile, because this isn't just a little thing. These are big, these are the things that you're really striving to get. And what better way to show off to your friends when you jump into PvP than to go, "Hey, who did you get?", "I got Robin.", "Oh really? I got Batman, let's go do this."

You can come in [to PvP] as your own character if you don't want to do that. You'll have a talent tree where you'll be able to spend points and keep beefing up your own character, and you'll be able to compete against Batman or whoever. It's one of those events where we want you guys to get into the game as quickly as possible. We always like immediate PvP action if you've only got twenty minutes or a half-hour to play. You can jump in and play as an iconic or play as your own character against an iconic, you get that whole experience.

yea posted about it on the pc board.

Last year at NYC comic con I got to play it on the show floor. I am def looking foward to playing this on the pc . I didn't like the feel of the controls for the ps3 although i generaly dislike the controller and the game was far from polished :)

I will be playing in beta hopefully.

yea posted about it on the pc board.

Last year at NYC comic con I got to play it on the show floor. I am def looking foward to playing this on the pc . I didn't like the feel of the controls for the ps3 although i generaly dislike the controller and the game was far from polished :)

If I were a betting man, I would probably put some money towards Move support becoming very popular in MMOs on PS3.

Actually, if they can dream up new super powers using Move control scheme, it may piqué my interest more. I need to see how devs balance their games between DS3 and Move. They may inevitably chip away the Move advantages, if any.

http://kotaku.com/5655276/dc-universe-online-knocked-into-early-2011

A fall release for DC Universe seemed like the sort of unlikely scenario you'd only find in comic books, but fans had hope. Now Sony Online Entertainment dashes those hopes, pushing back the eagerly anticipated MMO until early 2011. SOE president John Smedley says the delay will give developers extra time to "address community feedback in a meaningful way."

He also says this is the first MMO on the PlayStation 3, but if they delay it too far into 2011, Final Fantasy XIV will secure that title in March. Smedley says information on the new launch date will come as the game gets deeper into external beta.

Speaking of external beta, there is good news for hopeful players. Along with the delay, SOE reveals that players with VIP access codes and those registered with the DCUO website should begin receiving beta invites as early as next week. North American fans who preorder the game by November 15 are guaranteed beta access by November 30. Anyone who preorders after November 15 will gain beta access a week prior to launch.

In other good news, PlayStation 3 owners will get a collector's edition similar to the one revealed for PC earlier this year, complete with the DCUO Batman statue, the limited edition Art of DC Universe Online art book, the DCUO Legends Issue #0 comic book with a Jim Lee variant cover, the DCUO Prestige comic presentation of the DCUO back-story and the limited edition Jim Lee-drawn poster Version of the Issue #0 comic book variant cover.

FF is a failure , the game is horrible and unplayable. I bet that DCU is having the same problem but was smart enough to delay

IF they are giving vip codes out at NYC comic con does anyone want me to try and grab extras ? Can't promise anything but I will certianly try to grab as many as I can.

In response to the delay, they are now opening a public beta on October 11

I'm not much (translation: at all) into MMO's, but this one had me a little interested because, well, it's DC.

However, would I be right in thinking that the city looks horribly bland and generic and that whatever those characters were (maybe practising for the 2010 Gay Disco Competition?) just looked a confused mess?

Or is that what a good MMO is all about, and I'm just wrong?

Back