Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see developers skipping out on the usage of the amplification shader stage as is the case on UE5 and thus it's important to note that D3D12 doesn't force graphics programmers to use them in order to get the mesh shader stage. Developers can just stick to purely using the plain old mesh shader stage and they likely won't face a whole lot of contention in multiplatform development even on PS5 ...
Yeah, task shaders are fully optional and they don't use them in Alan Wake 2 from what I hear so there hasn't been a single game to use them yet despite them being available for over 5 years now. Bit of a bummer that technology takes so damn long to get implemented into new games. DirectStorage is also hardly used.

UE5 has the exact same limitation. The engine cant reflect even closely what the real enviroment looks. This here is the background of the scene:

UE5 (software) Lumen reflections are more a drawing, like somebody asked me to draw a picture of what i see...
UE5 developers can use planar reflections (or SSR) if they want to. They can also get accurate reflections using hardware Lumen with Hit Lighting.

Another broken console game ported to the PC without any optimizations for a modern nVidia-GPU - this time WRC on UE4:

F1 23 runs fantastic. This here is just bad like Starfield, Jedi Survirvor and other console games.
This game seems like a train wreck on all platforms - on PC though of course it is extra levels of trainwreck. A 7900 XT besting a 4090 at high res is frankly hilarious - what on earth did they do lol

Outside of GPU scaling, what is wrong with DX12? Why is this API so cpu limited?

These results remind me of Resident Evil 4 with hair rendering. No scaling on wider nVidia GPUs. The 3070 is 20% faster than the 6700XT, but the 3080 is only 8% faster.

Last edited:
Outside of GPU scaling, what is wrong with DX12? Why is this API so cpu limited?

These results remind me of Resident Evil 2 with hair rendering. No scaling on wider nVidia GPUs. The 3070 is 20% faster than the 6700XT, but the 3080 is only 8% faster.
When your poorly paid devs can't compete with the carefully written drivers lol

It's painful to transition from dx11 to dx12. Or you could just put a barrier after every pipeline operation to ensure no crash, like what Unity's doing. No wonder why it performs worse than dx11.

Codemaster should be experienced with DX12. Their Ego engine runs with over 200 FPS in 1080p in F1 23. WRC is displaying just one car and the enviroment without any kind of raytracing...

Another broken console game ported to the PC without any optimizations for a modern nVidia-GPU - this time WRC on UE4:
This game seems like a train wreck on all platforms - on PC though of course it is extra levels of trainwreck. A 7900 XT besting a 4090 at high res is frankly hilarious - what on earth did they do lol
PCGH tests are different though. All GPUs are within their normal position. The 4090 is 44% faster than 7900XTX at 4K. Don't know what's wrong with ComputerBase tests.

Tried WRC for myself. Unplayable. This is like selling a new car with a stuttering engine. No clue how you can release something like this.

I'm CPU limited at ~100 FPS with a 13600K. 10 years of DX12 and games cant even rendering a few tress, sands and rocks with more than 100 FPS.

Years later and I still cant find any actual gameplay footage of this. Does this game exist outside of these marketing materials?
There’s actual gameplay but in general more like a tech demo than a complete product (not really integrated into the whole game) There’s only one medium scale scene with mostly static environment geos showing off the mesh shading pipeline and that’s it.
Weirdly that’s how they usually partner with Nvidia. When RTX first came off, they made that one scene showing off DDGI and raytraced reflection. And then after RTX4000 came out, they made another scene featuring fully path traced lighting (1080p60fps+dlss performace+4090, you see why I say this is more like a tech demo)

There’s actual gameplay but in general more like a tech demo than a complete product (not really integrated into the whole game) There’s only one medium scale scene with mostly static environment geos showing off the mesh shading pipeline and that’s it.
Weirdly that’s how they usually partner with Nvidia. When RTX first came off, they made that one scene showing off DDGI and raytraced reflection. And then after RTX4000 came out, they made another scene featuring fully path traced lighting (1080p60fps+dlss performace+4090, you see why I say this is more like a tech demo)
Are these scenes places you'd visit during actual gameplay? If so do you have a video link?

Are these scenes places you'd visit during actual gameplay? If so do you have a video link?
“Actual gameplay” — No, they are mostly separate maps with no NPCs. But you can jump around inside. Personally I never made it to any of these maps because the game’s too boring, as much as I wanna see the tech

So the mesh shader’s:
【【逆水寒】打开光追,感受一下万佛窟的风景!-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/ZyzGjv2

【《逆水寒》万佛窟20亿面场景测试,RTX On,DLSS off,推荐最高画质。-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/jZbnmIH

And the path tracing: 【《逆水寒》RTX4090在逆水寒最高画质拂云庭的帧数表现-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/UrCIhkR

They are also recently pioneering mobile raytracing (likely due to partnership with hardware companies like Qualcomm and Apple), and they claim they are adding raytracing support on the mobile version of Justice MMO (btw mobile version is completely developed separately from the PC version)

Snapsragon raytracing showcase: 【【逆水寒x高通骁龙】实机演示:光线追踪加实时全局光照,去玩逼真的光和雷电!-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/Gy5i7pf

Apple A17Pro: 【【实机演示】逆水寒手游:率先在苹果系列支持光线追踪和实时全局光照!-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/lve5AYR

So they just made some random area you can load up completely separate from the real game? That does not qualify as a game with mesh shader support IMO. It's a tech demo.

Average ~100 FPS - here from a start of a race:

This is F1 23 with Raytracing at the start in Imola:

Dont know why Codemaster switched to UE4. Doesnt make any sense.
A few sim devs switched to it the last few years for various reasons. Kunos switched to it for acc to try remove some of the load from their lead programmer who wrote most of their custom engine, but they seem to be going back to in house for ac2. Raceroom was supposed to be changing to ue4 aswell, not sure how that went it's not something I really played or kept up on.

Like with UE5 this comes with a huge regression for PC gamers. We have 1080p 500Hz, 1440p 360Hz and 4K 240Hz displays but the fastest CPU on this planet is needed to maybe get 120 FPS in 1080p in WRC...

PCGH tests are different though. All GPUs are within their normal position. The 4090 is 44% faster than 7900XTX at 4K. Don't know what's wrong with ComputerBase tests.

Maybe there is something not properly translating through pics and videos, but this looks like a middle of the road, last gen game. Perhaps one or more of the settings at max is doing something silly, but needing a 4080+/7900xt+ to maintain 60fps at 1440p DLSS/FSR quality is insane. It's becoming increasingly difficult not to hold the viewpoint that optimization in most modern games has gone out the window.

Last edited:
Maybe there is something not properly translating through pics and videos, but this looks like a middle of the road, last gen game. Perhaps one or more of the settings at max is doing something silly, but needing a 4080+/7900xt+ to maintain 60fps at 1440p DLSS/FSR quality is insane. It's becoming increasingly difficult not to hold the viewpoint that optimization in most modern games has gone out the window.
If they were not labelled I would have picked dirt rally 2 as the newer game.

I just don't get it. I mean if I'm Epic I'd be doing everything I can so that these types of releases don't keep happening. It's seriously put a stain on the image of Unreal Engine. I honestly hear people say, "Was going to play that but not anymore since UE is trash"...

I'm not trying to be mean.. but its the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back