Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

yup. There's certainly enough data out here that suggests a trend: the series consoles architecture is not balanced to play all titles well. (Whereas PS5 is, as it follows directly from a 5700XT setup) Which is why we are seeing a lack of consistency here.

Is it necessarily, though? I would imagine that if a game is initially developed on PS5 that it won't run as well when ported to XBS consoles. Considering that PS5 is the lead platform for most developers, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that most titles are designed around the design choices of the PS5 and thus by default would run non-optimally without a lot of work on XBS?

The flipside would be true as well if XBS consoles were the lead platform.

Considering how tight budgeting is (both time and money) for modern AAA games, I can imagine that the optimization process for getting a title working as optimally as possible when originally architected around the PS5 hardware is less than it should be. Likewise, if the XBS console were the lead platform than the reverse would be true with much more work required to get the PS5 version performing similarly to the XBS version.

This isn't saying that one design is better or worse, but just that they are different and if a title uses one or the other as the primary platform then it'll require more work to get it to run similarly on the other platform.

If we look at Cyberpunk 2077, we can see that with no optimizations and no work done by the developers the XBS consoles have an easier time running "typical" games with no modifications. However, considering that Sony completely removed Cyberpunk 2077 from the PSN store likely incentivized CDPR to put significantly more work into the PS5 version of the game than the XBS version of the game in order to ensure that Sony would have absolutely no reason to find fault with their game.

IMO, whether a title runs ever so slightly better (we really are nitpicking to the extreme this generation) when normalized to the "on paper" capabilities on one console or another is more a reflection of which console is the lead platform than anything else.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Is it necessarily, though? I would imagine that if a game is initially developed on PS5 that it won't run as well when ported to XBS consoles. Considering that PS5 is the lead platform for most developers, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that most titles are designed around the design choices of the PS5 and thus by default would run non-optimally without a lot of work on XBS?

Considering how tight budgeting is (both time and money) for modern AAA games, I can imagine that the optimization process for getting a title working as optimally as possible when originally architected around the PS5 hardware is less than it should be. Likewise, if the XBS console were the lead platform than the reverse would be true with much more work required to get the PS5 version performing similarly to the XBS version.

This isn't saying that one design is better or worse, but just that they are different and if a title uses one or the other as the primary platform then it'll require more work to get it to run similarly on the other platform.

If we look at Cyberpunk 2077, we can see that with no optimizations and no work done by the developers the XBS consoles have an easier time running "typical" games with no modifications. However, considering that Sony completely removed Cyberpunk 2077 from the PSN store likely incentivized CDPR to put significantly more work into the PS5 version of the game than the XBS version of the game in order to ensure that Sony would have absolutely no reason to find fault with their game.

IMO, whether a title runs every so slightly better (we really are nitpicking to the extreme this generation) when normalized to the "on paper" capabilities on one console or another is more a reflection of which console is the lead platform than anything else.

Regards,
SB

Agreed. Lead platform takes precedent by design. Everything else involves porting and optimization to a level of "good enough" and not "gotta be equivalent". Outside of easy wins like enough extra performance to up resolution, most devs aren't going to push costs further by trying to get different ports of the same game to perform exactly the same.

Given we're talking about game development which is notorious for crunch, I doubt most of crunch is due to devs being anal about minute differences.

Its impossible to parse out the impact that hardware performance gaps may have on games because the software used to benchmark isn't identical.

Last edited:
Considering that PS5 is the lead platform for most developers, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that most titles are designed around the design choices of the PS5 and thus by default would run non-optimally without a lot of work on XBS?

flipside would be true as well if XBS consoles were the lead platform.

Agreed. Lead platform takes precedent by design. Everything else involves porting and optimization to a level of "good enough" and not "gotta be equivalent".

I can't wait to hear all the future lead platform warring about Zin/Beth/Act/Blizz games supposedly running smoother, looking better, loading faster on Xbox series consoles. And vice versa with Bungie games supposedly running/looking/loading better on Playstation 5.

And let's not pretend this warring isn't going happen... even if these assumptions from both camps aren't borne out by any evidence. Fun times ahead... not!

unknown.png

This is with the day one patch but VRR capable display will help.

Playing this on xbox now, the heavier areas like forests definitely have a little stutter. Feels absolutely fine on my vrr display, but im not super sensitive to this stuff. It's pretty clear this game wasn't super optimized for xbox, but from games never are super optimized for anything -- this xbox perf feels about equivalent to my experience with their prior games on ps4, so ps5 owners are in for a treat.

(also, the game is really good!)

No mirical patch, but better than before. While the PS5 performance mode isn't a locked 60fps, it seems from this video and others it's the best option to play outside of owning a VRR capable display (for the XBSX edition), or running the PS4 edition on PS5.

Whatever edition you choose to play, or system to play on, the framerate pacing still looks terrible. Great job From! /s

first time kinda important ps5 advantage in loading times, suprisingly not only better frames on ps5 but also higher dynamic resolution

Last edited:
Wait a minute.... You are telling me that this game from From Software has unstable frame rates!

Also, all these reviews that say something like "This game is classic FromSoft" makes my mind reply "Is there mechs in this game I don't know about".

IMO, whether a title runs ever so slightly better (we really are nitpicking to the extreme this generation) when normalized to the "on paper" capabilities on one console or another is more a reflection of which console is the lead platform than anything else.

Regards,
SB
But VRS exists on PC. This should have allowed the groundwork for VRS on XBOX Series.

Back