Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

first time kinda important ps5 advantage in loading times, suprisingly not only better frames on ps5 but also higher dynamic resolution
Given the state of release on all 3 platforms, I’m not particularly fond of using Elden Ring to benchmark anything about any platforms performance.

it would be a different story if all 3 platforms held a perfect 60fps. It would give more confidence that they had done the work sufficiently to push all the systems; but this doesn’t look like it.

Given the state of release on all 3 platforms, I’m not particularly fond of using Elden Ring to benchmark anything about any platforms performance.

it would be a different story if all 3 platforms held a perfect 60fps. It would give more confidence that they had done the work sufficiently to push all the systems; but this doesn’t look like it.
if all held perfect 60fps then I woulndt consider it great benchmark ;d

if all held perfect 60fps then I woulndt consider it great benchmark ;d
Well then just look at dynamic resolution and graphical settings. Games that are released completely unoptimized are not useful we don’t know how much is a software/optimization issue and how much is a hardware issue. As noted by Dictator this is their first dx12 game. And as a PC owner of elden ring; it shows lol.

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/message-about-some-performance-issues-elden-ring

And the developers have come out to say performance is a problem; it’s not a great benchmark.

As per loading times; if during loading the cloud is hit during the load, it’s not a worthwhile benchmark. You’d have to run it several times over several days to know if network/server response times are included in load.

Well then just look at dynamic resolution and graphical settings. Games that are released completely unoptimized are not useful we don’t know how much is a software/optimization issue and how much is a hardware issue. As noted by Dictator this is their first dx12 game. And as a PC owner of elden ring; it shows lol.

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/message-about-some-performance-issues-elden-ring

And the developers have come out to say performance is a problem; it’s not a great benchmark.

As per loading times; if during loading the cloud is hit during the load, it’s not a worthwhile benchmark. You’d have to run it several times over several days to know if network/server response times are included in load.
yeah I know there are problems but to be honest most nowadays games for some reasons has after premiere and with your logic we cant compare anything as its not benchmark due to lacking of software quality

yeah I know there are problems but to be honest most nowadays games for some reasons has after premiere and with your logic we cant compare anything as its not benchmark due to lacking of software quality
That’s not true.
There is a point in time in which we know they hit hardware bottlenecks and there is a point in time we know it was just poor code. Being able to separate the two is critical in determining whether a game is useful or not.

This isn’t the same as me saying they didn’t use all the features on X platform. This is just me saying I see clear issues around sync and memory which can fundamentally impact performance and has no relationship to hardware bottlenecks.

We’ve seen NXG go after Xbox for many of these type of sync/stutter issues claiming they are I/O issues when they are really just api problems that get resolved with a later patch. This is why I don’t think it’s currently useful as a benchmark. If the performance dips are not reproducible and we don’t have a reason to see a dip; you’re better off waiting to see if those issues are patched out.

That’s not true.
There is a point in time in which we know they hit hardware bottlenecks and there is a point in time we know it was just poor code. Being able to separate the two is critical in determining whether a game is useful or not.

This isn’t the same as me saying they didn’t use all the features on X platform. This is just me saying I see clear issues around sync and memory which can fundamentally impact performance and has no relationship to hardware bottlenecks.
that could be true indeed but Im sure you don't think we shouldnt compare games if we think they are in not best software state ? (even after day one patch), comparison are not only to show hw diff

that could be true indeed but Im sure you don't think we shouldnt compare games if we think they are in not best software state ? (even after day one patch), comparison are not only to show hw diff
I think if someone needs to make a purchase these comparisons are useful; because who cares about hardware etc. you just want to know which platform is going to give the better experience.
But if we are talking technical here; then that’s a different story.

Elden Ring is a great benchmark for FromSoftware. Compared to their earlier titles, they've come a long way. But their games have never been ones I would use to determine the relative performance of a piece of hardware.

We’ve seen NXG go after Xbox for many of these type of sync/stutter issues claiming they are I/O issues when they are really just api problems that get resolved with a later patch. This is why I don’t think it’s currently useful as a benchmark. If the performance dips are not reproducible and we don’t have a reason to see a dip; you’re better off waiting to see if those issues are patched out.

It's not an IO issue unless the game is actually pulling a lot of data from the drive. And to say that Elden Rings pulls very low amounts of data from the drive is itself an understatement.

I bought the game earlier today and did a quick test of this. In short, the game loads around 4-5GB from disk during the initial load but then it streamed less than a gigabyte from disk over the next hour that I played it. Why are people listening to these YouTubers when it's so blatantly obvious that they've never even tested for this?

I bought the game earlier today and did a quick test of this. In short, the game loads around 4-5GB from disk during the initial load but then it streamed less than a gigabyte from disk over the next hour that I played it. Why are people listening to these YouTubers when it's so blatantly obvious that they've never even tested for this?
The fact that it runs about as well as any FromSoft game does on PS4/XBO should tell anyone that it doesn't require the highest amounts of IO speed. I would assume the newer platforms have higher quality assets, but still. This games isn't thrashing IO. It would be hard to make a cross gen game that really does, unless we start seeing very different versions for each generation.

If the performance dips are not reproducible and we don’t have a reason to see a dip; you’re better off waiting to see if those issues are patched out.
According to ACG, a lot of these stutters were patched in with the 1.0.2 patch and weren’t present (to the same degree) with the 1.0.1 patch he reviewed. Weird.

Last edited:
Why are people listening to these YouTubers when it's so blatantly obvious that they've never even tested for this?
And why people shitting on content creators while not even bother to watch video ? As Im sure nobody would talk about io in terms of performance advantage after watching nxgamer Elden Ring comparison.

And why people shitting on content creators while not even bother to watch video ? As Im sure nobody would talk about io in terms of performance advantage after watching nxgamer Elden Ring comparison.
In this particular video he provides “reasons” why ps5 runs better than series consoles. But doesn’t go to actually verify them.

though the reasoning may be sound; but it doesn’t explain all the dips and that during heavy alpha, overdraw and transparency, units of screen they are still relatively beside each other in frame rate.

none of it really has consistent reasoning and I think would have preferred nxg chalk the performance problems to IDK; wait for patch instead of pointing to fill rate and alpha as the core reason we are seeing ps5 pull ahead. It’s not really technical anymore if you are just putting in opinions without actual testing.

case in point. If the steam team is able to get better performance in their dx12 to proton wrapper on steam deck; it really points to an api coding problem given the level of virtualization happening.

That goes against my recorded experiences.

Honestly, after watching a handful of PC analysis videos, even when comparing scene-for-scene likeness between comparable PCs, there seems to be a high inconsistency in user experiences. Some report having similar experiences as yours, while others report not having such problems, especially at that degree. I haven't downloaded ER yet, so I can't make a judgment call on my end, but I do remember the initial complaints about Resident Evil Village (PC) having severe stuttering in certain areas, which in my case, I didn't have. I dunno... :no::runaway:

It’s not really technical anymore if you are just putting in opinions without actual testing.

And here we go again. Why some have to bring in NXG everytime… its like some are not interested in technical discussions anymore. NXG clearly isnt the best choice for any serious technical discussion, he’s clearly biased towards Playstation. I sont see many xbox fans sharing biased xbox videos/analysis (they do exist for every platform).

Back