Crytek on PS3/X360 (+ more - great read)

Lysander said:
He said: "In principle [360 solution is] 2 cpu`s with 2 Hyperthreads each. If you are asking the hardware manufactures, that`s not the case though." He is claiming that IBM made fake chip.

no, it is a typo in the translation. In the german pdf he says:

The 360-Solution is similar to Hyperthreading. In prinziple they are three CPUs with two hyperthreads each. When you ask the hardware manufactures, thats not the case though. (meaning they are hardware threads) But if you look at it from a Software Engineer point of view its nothing else than hyperthreading"

Lysander said:
I do not understand him, but I think he is claiming that each X2 core is single threaded, but X2 core is software like "multy-threaded", while PS3 main core is hardware dual threaded. I am 100% that these sentence is a lie. He is sony biased.

what?....

the things we see these days..... jesus, thats a teamxbox type of comment just because he didn't said wonders of x360.

crytek is a new company, they showed up last year... first game was a PC game. the First and only CONSOLE they worked on was Xbox.

...but now he is sony biased.
lol...sure, not

Last edited by a moderator:
dskneo said:
what?....

the things we see these days..... jesus, thats a teamxbox type of comment just because he didn't said wonders of x360.

crytek is a new company, they showed up last year... first game was a PC game. the First and only CONSOLE they worked on was Xbox.

...but now he is sony biased.
lol...sure, not

No. They left Ubisoft, and took their engine with them, and they went to Big Daddy EA's house.

Ubisoft Montreal is the one working on Far Cry Instincts, they never worked on a console before.

OK, change "2" to "3". But my assertion stands.
He did not say that X2core and PS3ppe have each two thread, but second is faster because of vmx or something; no, he said (between lines) that first has 1thread and second has 2 threads. untrue

dskneo said:
what?....

I agree with you. I think the Crytek mailbox will be flooded LOL

dskneo said:
lol i dont "buy it" the type of program/cpu that stalls half the time :)
it has to be really, Bad lol...

Hmm, I've just described a lot of the programs out there. Things like Databases have a CPI of >2. Databases are a multi-billion dollar market that makes the video game market look like chicken scratch. So if you think it has to be really bad, be my guest. Go take over the market and makes billions. Start using Ferrari's for land fill.

aaron spink
speaking for myself inc.

I doubt these guys are anybody bias, they REALLY didn't say anything for or against any of the platforms mostly PR friendly stuff and fluff. Besides it's all in German I"M sure there were things lost in the translation.

therealskywolf said:
No. They left Ubisoft, and took their engine with them, and they went to Big Daddy EA's house.

Ubisoft Montreal is the one working on Far Cry Instincts, they never worked on a console before.

i might be wrong, but..... they did released Farcry for PC, after EA "bought them" or "agreed to publish the game".
For me they came along unknown, with a Beta Demo with beautifull graphics in 2003.

Now they are doing the Farcry instincts for Xbox... so they are working officialy for the first time on a console, and thats Xbox.

so i must have missed when they turned Sony biased... lol kids minds these days, oh boy.

aaronspink said:
Hmm, I've just described a lot of the programs out there. Things like Databases have a CPI of >2. Databases are a multi-billion dollar market that makes the video game market look like chicken scratch. So if you think it has to be really bad, be my guest. Go take over the market and makes billions. Start using Ferrari's for land fill.

aaron spink
speaking for myself inc.

And given the relatively large instruction and L1 cache latencies of these processors, a larger portion of programs will fit into this category.

I think 2x is optomistic, but the win should be significantly larger than that seen on most Intel hyperthreading processors where there is already an enormous amount of logic in the processor designed to keep the execution units working.

aaronspink said:

aaron spink
speaking for myself inc.

i was being sarcastic..... its games we are talking about here. Not Databases.

Thats why good DB servers have Xeon CPU's with giant monster L1\L2 caches, either wya the DB market is still smaller than the gaming movie market right?

c0_re said:
Thats why good DB servers have Xeon CPU's with giant monster L1\L2 caches, either wya the DB market is still smaller than the gaming movie market right?

every good company has a database... so, i think gaming is a small dot compared to the database world

dskneo said:
i might be wrong, but..... they did released Farcry for PC, after EA "bought them" or "agreed to publish the game".
For me they came along unknown, with a Beta Demo with beautifull graphics in 2003.

Now they are doing the Farcry instincts for Xbox... so they are working officialy for the first time on a console, and thats Xbox.

so i must have missed when they turned Sony biased... lol kids minds these days, oh boy.

You still dont get it do you?

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/farcry/index.html

Ubisoft Montreal Is devloping FAr Cry Instincts...not Crytek. OK!?

And it was after FAR cry that they went to EA. Ubisoft published Far Cry.

Christ, too many biased kids on B3D these days flipping out instead of reading what is actually written.

Oh well. Thanks for the translation, hadareud!

I doubt these guys are anybody bias, they REALLY didn't say anything for or against any of the platforms mostly PR friendly stuff and fluff.

The guy who spoke is biased, for PS3, against X2; I do not know for others; his sentences are untrue relative to every info about both cpus.
He is saying that IBM LIES and that he is right!

Lysander said:
The guy who spoke is biased, for PS3, against X2; I do not know for others; his sentences are untrue relative to every info about both cpus.

oh boy...

wait, let me check this forum name... no wait, its still beyond3d.

wrong place for that, buddy

Lysander said:
The guy who spoke is biased, for PS3, against X2

Please just stop. You're dragging down the conversation with your reactionary nonsense and no one is going to take the bait, so quit it.

Well basic dispute which I had with nemo arised from these 3 or 4 sentences about distinction betw. cpus, which everybody take for granted. The other part of article is mostly fluff, yea.

Lysander said:
Well basic dispute which I had with nemo arised from these 3 or 4 sentences about distinction betw. cpus, which everybody take for granted. The other part of article is mostly fluff, yea.

IMO, your dispute can be easily solved by simply learning to read and interperet information correctly.

Lysander said:
Instead of attacking the messenger, tackle the message. You haven't exactly disproven him outside of rhetoric.

Anyway, can we get back on topic? I think the most interesting thing here is the potential difference between the PPE and the XeCPU cores. Is the expansion from DD1 to DD2 the reason behind this claimed ability of the PPE to be able to run two threads concurrently (albeit at effectively halved clockspeed)? Months ago, there was discussion about what had changed, and it seemed evident from the die shots that a large portion of the DD1 die had be cloned. But not the full thing. There was speculation about whether or not the VMX had been cloned, and so on. Two run two threads concurrently would suggest twive the execution units correct? But Pana made mention at GAF of shared ALU/FPU/VMX units. How then could you run two threads? I assume it would also be less than 2x efficiency as you wouldn't be able to use the aforementioned units with two different threads at the same time. Is this the way the PPE is able to issue instructions to the SPEs without knocking down the other hw thread? I know he asked Hofstee this, but I don't remember seeing a reply.

Deano alluded to the 2x1.6GHz cores thing in his GDC ppt. Is that clock locked? Someone else at GAF made an interesting proposal of a variable clock proportions. Like 2.5G/700M split between threads. Since this is essentially what HT does (without user control), and since some hw resources will be shared (PPE isn't dual-core), what is the likeliness of such an arrangement. That would indeed offer the utmost flexibility and thus efficiency. It would appear that calling XeCPU a 3-PPE chip would be very flawed indeed. Please, correct me where I'm wrong. I'm really interested in learning more here. PEACE.

Back