Crytek may go bankrupt

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by fellix, Jun 22, 2014.

1. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

LOL. One of my favorite episodes.

2. tuna

Veteran

In the latest Edge they have a big feature on Crytek UK. Pretty funny to read it now.....

3. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

4. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Many do not update until they have a new title etc.

5. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

Yeah, should he change it to "unemployed" or what?

6. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I buy on origin , steam and gog . Steam used to be my go too but I've moved more to GOG . I had a friend who's credit card did a charge back against steam based on the assumption it was theft and his steam account was locked and he still hasn't gotten access back to it

7. Scott_Arm

Legend

8. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Not enough triangles left for the body since the jersey barrier is there

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That doesn't even make sense. :p Crysis 2 had multiplayer so it was relatively easy to see people crouching behind barriers without that distortion. The original Reddit link doesn't even explain how they made the GIF. I'm assuming they tinkered with more than just the camera position.

Regards,
    SB

10. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Could have been different lower quality models with full animation and structure for MP.

11. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

Crytek comes forward about its recent financial woes.

#231 Cjail, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
  12. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

What a bullet dodge...
    Let's hope this serves them as a wake-up-call for more intelligent business practices rather than a stop gap temporary "solution" that'll merely delay their eventual shutdown.
    I hope this money ends up helping a company create as much great products and technology as they can instead of having it be wasted by inefficient managing like crytek apparently did with what it got in the past.

13. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

To me, their PR spin-letter sounded like they intend to stick to the F2P road towards mediocre bullshit they stuck out on. I see no sign of any change in direction.

I think they're circling the drain - you might not notice it immediately, if they've been re-inflated by new cash, but eventually they'll run out of money again and next time it won't be as "easy" to find more financing. You can only live off of someone else's money for so long, after all. And during the turbulence the company probably lost a significant amount of talented staff. This will not help them in the future.

IP and shit like that is just a minor thing, really. It's the people that are important in any company that creates stuff as their business.

14. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Not sure where you get that...

Is the closest thing to your supposition, but if you look at it closely seems to imply they are going to focus less on developing games and focus more on being a publisher of games.

Which makes sense when you look further down in their letter.

The bolded part and...

Seem to indicate more of a focus on engine development. Which kind of ties in nicely with being an online-publisher. For example, if they focus on publishing games using their engine, I could see where such a deal would see them waive engine licensing fee's in exchange for publishing rights.

That said they have both traditional games as well as F2P games being developed. And F2P doesn't mean crap. I already posted an abbreviated list of very good and very successful F2P games in a previous post. Just because it's F2P doesn't mean it's crap. And just because a game isn't F2P doesn't mean it isn't crap.

Regards,
    SB

15. Jedi2016

Veteran

I'm still trying to figure out who would actually invest in the company to pull them out of this rut that they got themselves into. They must have a hell of a spinster on the board to convince people to give them more money to burn through.

For an established company with multiple products already released, the only people who should be giving you money should be your customers. If you're having to beg for money from other companies or investors, you're doing something wrong. If you've "changed direction" and now have zero or negative profit, then maybe that direction wasn't the correct one. They're merely delaying the inevitable at this point.

16. joker454

Veteran

I have to assume that mass layoffs and/or restructuring was part of the deal, I can't imagine they will just continue as they are.

17. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

The story continues.

18. I.S.T.

Veteran

19. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Are those Kochs THOSE Kochs? ;)

Anyway, good to see the game studio live on. Warms the Kochles of my heart, etc. :)

20. shredenvain

Regular

Yeah Im glad to see Crytek live on. It is kind of sad though they had to close Crytek Us and Uk.
    They seem to really only care about online and f2p in the future.
    I mean they closed the 2 studios that had the greatest potential going forward.
    Of course Frankfurt is still there and taking over Hunt the horrors.