Crytek may go bankrupt

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by fellix, Jun 22, 2014.

1. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Crytek may go bankrupt owing to Ryse failure
    :???:

#1 fellix, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2014
  2. joker454

Veteran

They are putting this all on Ryse? I think the fact that precious few companies are licensing their engine had a lot to do with it, with Ryse perhaps tipping them over the edge. They have had years now to get others to use their engine with seemingly minimal success. I don't think this can all be thrown on Ryse although I;m sure their article title is just click bait.

3. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

I also heard that their F2P approach wasn't that successful either.

And that they have nearly 800 employees!!

4. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Argh! Just make TimesSplitters! :yep2:

5. RudeCurve

Banned

The new Homefront is using Cryengine and it looks pretty good but nothing like Ryse probably due to art style.

6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

If Ryse didn't sell enough as a platform exclusive (launching on a platform with a zero install base) and that's affected their viability, they didn't negotiate well enough with MS. Either MS should have ensured it was going to be a profitable venture, or they shouldn't have gone exclusive. To limit oneself to a single platform with no certainty of worthwhile sales in what is obviously a competitive marketplace (PS4 was launching at the same time so next-gen audience was going to split somewhat) is bad management. Especially when you're wanting to push your cross-platform middleware! A showcase title on every platform is what CryEngine needed; not a niche 3rd person combat adventure on a single machine.

7. RudeCurve

Banned

Didn't MS fund some of the development of Ryse?

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

It makes me really sad to hear this, Crytek has been one of a relatively few studios to make big-budget flagship, triple-A titles for the PC, and I hope they can salvage the situation.

If Ryse was a problem for them, I'm sure it didn't help that xbone saw a relatively limited launch compared to what MS initially planned. The console still isn't out in places like scandinavia for example (I could have mentioned japan too, but since previous xboxes have done so poorly there it almost doesn't matter.)

Maybe port Ryse to the PC. I'm sure there's a market for the game there. :)

9. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

If the numbers I heard is right, they're way too large for what they have available in the marketplace; They employ over 800 workers. They'd have to have several gang-buster selling titles to support that size of a company.

10. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Ryse actually sold pretty well despite the shoddy reviews. This Gamestar piece is already being discussed in an other thread btw.

11. Nisaaru

Regular

I've never understood how they are a viable business anyway. How the sale of Far Cry 1+franchise and Crysis 1 could really financed 10 year development of their engine+games? Crysis2+3 sales were afaik below expectation. Why they didn't just make some Crysis1-3 port to next generation I've never understood. Low investment with easy ROI.

12. Scott_Arm

Legend

Crytek's biggest problem has always been that they make great tech demos, but not great games. I don't know why their licensing business never took off.

13. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Cost and tools in a competitive marketplace is my guess. IIRC CryEngine 3 had a $1 million licensing fee. That's one helluva up-front cost. Now they've changed to a monthly fee + maybe royalties/'pro' price like everyone else, but they are behind others in popularity. Crytek seem to have spent buckets on their engine before securing a market for it, and they weren't producing enough themselves to pay for it (unlike Unreal), and now they haven't the grass-roots userbase to pay for its maintenance.

14. Pixel

Regular

[strike]Yeah I'm curious why developers feel Unnreal engine 3/4 is superior to Cryengine3/4* has, so much so that there is a 10x licenses for that engine. I'm sure a google search would answer that.[/strike]

The industry would be smart to support a variety so these enginemakers have to compete with one another and give licensees a better deal.

#14 Pixel, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2014
  15. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

16. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

That doesn't make much sense. Are a selection of developers supposed to pay more for a license they'd rather not have just to keep the competition healthy? Developers will go with the best product for their money. They're not going to support anyone out of charity, no more than any other business. The industry will naturally select who survives according to the rules of business, which will inevitably lead to fewer, bigger players as is the way with free-market capitalism.

17. Freemantle

Newcomer

Yeah I don't see why devs should feel the need to be charitable at all, it makes much more sense they go the route which makes both financial sense, but equally as import offers them the tools and framework to get the job done. Epic's Unreal engine has been a huge success and clearly delivers on said fronts. Hell it could be a case of it ain't broke don't fix it.

Crytek seem to be a modern day id software, impressive technology showcased by rather weak games, both of which never really got many licensees.

18. joker454

Veteran

19. Davros

Legend

I disagree (not played ryse) but their other games were great

20. egoless

Regular

Delete

#20 egoless, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014