Crytek may go bankrupt

Liked the interview, but the cynic in me just does not want to believe.
Which is a shame because I think he comes across nicely and as honest and open as he can be, while protecting the company.

I mean we all want to hear that they where doom and gloom and mistakes and lucky bla bla. But that will damage the company even more, so he can not do that. Regardless of it being true or not.

So good interview, shame on me :)

Not sure that's a good way to treat employees. Delay their wages without explanation or knowing when they'll receive them, and blame them for not having better financial planning in their private lives so they don't get upset.

Not sure that's a good way to treat employees. Delay their wages without explanation or knowing when they'll receive them, and blame them for not having better financial planning in their private lives so they don't get upset.

Well, according to him, they was an explanation. Who knows. You either trust him or trust the employees. I don't know what was said. Their definitely seemed to be some disgruntled people leaking to the press.

Crytek should have had better financial planning in place so they could service their obligations ie paying staff every month as contracted. To blame staff for getting upset is despicable.

There's not many people (except the Yerlis of this world) with a big pile of money to sit back on and work for free for several months. Crytek let their own staff down badly.

I read from the article that it was explained and that they tried to help out when possible. I did not read it as he blamed people for their private lives, but just pointed out that somebody did it differently.

Assuming what he is saying is true, I think they did ok. Others would have just downsized before the cashflow issue became bad. They tried to do it differently and did. People have been payed and got some extra also.

Its not good, but if you get your money and some extra as a compensation for having you salary delayed. Now your getting a steady paycheck again, maybe its not so bad.

Not so bad? It's terrible.

How many competent staffers did they lose because of their financial foul-up? Dozens, counting low. Their main engine architect went to bethesda, that's a big blow.

People quitting because you're not paying them is awful company management. Just awful. There's no excuse.

How many competent staffers did they lose because of their financial foul-up? Dozens, counting low. Their main engine architect went to bethesda, that's a big blow.

People quitting because you're not paying them is awful company management. Just awful. There's no excuse.

Agreed. Although I'm well-off, I still want to be paid on time by my clients.

Could you imagine if Crytek partners didn't pay them on time and kept delaying payments... Yerli would be singing a different tune.

Great interview. Sounds like a very different Crytek is emerging, and one that is on solid footing which is good to hear. He kept mentioning "games as a service" which I view more like a Spotify of games, but they seem to be treating f2p as a service which seems an odd way to word it. But either way I'm definitely interested in what they have in store.

Crysis 4???

So no Crysis 4 in development right now?

Cevat Yerli: Don't know.

You would know. No-one else would know.

Cevat Yerli: Just saying, no comment. We're just focusing. That's what I'm saying,

Seems a go :p

I still have my doubts that with 700 employees Crytek isn't in trouble. I have my doubts F2P can really support a high head count core gaming developer.

It is much more realistic that they are prepairing Crysis Trilogy remaster package for nextgen consoles, and maybe that CryEngine3 version of Crysis 1 for PC [they released it only on PS3/X360].

Certainly would fit the remaster craze. I'd love it. Wont exactly turn around company fortunes though.

I'd think they'd have better luck maybe with a Crysis 4 on next gen consoles. Just dont let the budget go crazy and dont take forever and dont do a fall release against the big hitters.

If the choice is to go to your employees and say, shit we are out of money, we are working on fixing it, but we just can not afford to pay you until x time in the future. But you will be payed and compensated for the inconvenience. Or going to the employees and say, shit we are out money and we are fixing it, part of that is letting x% of you go, sorry, bye bye.

I think the first choice is braver and what I would have wanted from an employer.
Then I get the info and can decide for myself, if I want to try and tough it out with the company or try to get another job.

I agree its not good to not pay your employees, but if there is no money, what can you do?
Sure they should have not been in that situation, but how can you 100% guarantee that?

All this based on the assumption what is conveyed in the interview is true.

Ok, first off, from what we understand this is not what Crytek did, instead it would appear they just stonewalled on the company's financial troubles and let their staff continue working as usual without paying them. Obviously, lots of people did not think that was tolerable behavior, and quit in droves as a result. ...So, stupid crytek!

Second, if you worked for a company and they said, "hey, guys... We're kinda outta money, so we could fire you, or you can continue working and we'll pay you later - honest. Wink wink", and you accept their word, you'd be totally at their mercy wouldn't you. Potentially you'd be working for free, could still end up fired AND except with bonus: also not getting paid after having worked X days without salary! Awesome, huh?

Whereas in case one, where the company lays off staff to remain solvent and able to actually pay salaries for remaining staff, you'd be fired, sure, but you'd also have time to look for a new job for a company that actually pays their employees on time every month.

Oif you worked for a company and they said, "hey, guys... We're kinda outta money, so we could fire you, or you can continue working and we'll pay you later - honest. Wink wink", and you accept their word, you'd be totally at their mercy wouldn't you. Potentially you'd be working for free, could still end up fired AND except with bonus: also not getting paid after having worked X days without salary! Awesome, huh?

Almost exactly what happened to me at my first job. They did pay us but only about 60-70% and it went on for almost a year. Most people never got any money back.

Also, giving up some of your salary is sort of investing in the company, so a minimum return would be some shares on top of the money owned.

I'd personally quit after two months max. Especially if the company was already loosing money for years and showed other signs of management problems. Then there's the attitude in that interview, I'd rather not work for people like that at all. As others have already pointed out, Crytek is going to have a hard time recruiting mid to top level talent from now on.

Ok, first off, from what we understand this is not what Crytek did, instead it would appear they just stonewalled on the company's financial troubles and let their staff continue working as usual without paying them. Obviously, lots of people did not think that was tolerable behavior, and quit in droves as a result. ...So, stupid crytek!

That was what was reported earlier yes, Yerli claims otherwise in his interview. The only one on record about the communication is Yerli. Albeit I am prone to believe the reports more than Yerli in his interview.

Second, if you worked for a company and they said, "hey, guys... We're kinda outta money, so we could fire you, or you can continue working and we'll pay you later - honest. Wink wink", and you accept their word, you'd be totally at their mercy wouldn't you. Potentially you'd be working for free, could still end up fired AND except with bonus: also not getting paid after having worked X days without salary! Awesome, huh?

Whereas in case one, where the company lays off staff to remain solvent and able to actually pay salaries for remaining staff, you'd be fired, sure, but you'd also have time to look for a new job for a company that actually pays their employees on time every month.

I wouldn't say mercy, you are free to leave at anytime as always. So its not like your stuck there 3 years later.

When you sign up for any job you really have no guarantee that you will get paid for the work you do, the company could go belly up at anytime etc.

And in this case the owners/management took steps to save the company, it was maybe not the best decision.

People will be wary about signing up for Crytek or they will get some extra clauses in their contracts etc. Many times its as much about working on/with something interesting in addition to getting a salary.
Personally I have signed up for projects that I knew would be hell and not really be professionally benefiting for no extra compensation. But just to get to work with some key people or interesting issues, even though I knew beforehand they would be hell to work with :)

But Crytek did screw up and they are now paying the price, at the same time they are trying to move forward.

Just dedicate 5 minutes to porting the PC versions of the Crysis trilogy for PS4, call it a FINAL PLATINUM DEFINITIVE REMASTER with 'vastly improved visuals' and off you go. It's like printing money, TR:DE style!

(Yes, I know it's not 5 minutes but you get the drift)

Just dedicate 5 minutes to porting the PC versions of the Crysis trilogy for PS4, call it a FINAL PLATINUM DEFINITIVE REMASTER with 'vastly improved visuals' and off you go. It's like printing money, TR:DE style!

(Yes, I know it's not 5 minutes but you get the drift)

No can do, the Crysis trilogy isn't F2P.
Unless they did a F2P Crysis, where the game would be completely free to try out but you'd have to pay a dollar for every time you'd want to use a suit power.
Maximum Armor: Pay $1 a minute.
Maximum Jump: Pay $0,2 per jump.
Cloak: this is practically a super-premium ability so pay $3 a minute.

The interview with Cevat Yerli seems like he's obviously trying to do damage control using lots of bullshit and maybe some lies. Even the interviewer gets that, which explains some follow-up questions.

No can do, the Crysis trilogy isn't F2P.
Unless they did a F2P Crysis, where the game would be completely free to try out but you'd have to pay a dollar for every time you'd want to use a suit power.
:D

I'd really hope a remastered Crisis trilogy is something they can outsource.

I'd really hope a remastered Crisis trilogy is something they can outsource.

Hum.. Truth be told, none of the Crysis titles would need a remaster. Just a straight port from the PC versions would suffice.

Back