CryENGINE 3

Crytek just released a batch of new (PC-version) screenshots of the CE3, which are from what I can only assume to be the PC version of the engine, judging by the 16x10 resolution aspect ratio. Here's a good comparison between the console teaser video and one of the (supposedly) PC screens:

The two shots actually look surprisingly similar in terms of the effects and object detail being rendered on-screen. If the above is a shot of the PC version, then I take back some of the things I said before about certain LOD details being clipped out.

Neither of those are PC Crysis screenshots.

That would actually make zero sense, the idea of CE3 looking worse than CE2. All signs do point to those screens being the PC version, including the fact that the 16x10 aspect ratio is a very common PC screen format (and never a console format). Besides, "looking worse" or "better" is a highly subjective statement that may have little or no technical basis, especially considering the fact that the screen in question is set during a different TOD and is rather darkly lit, and thus may not appear as "visually appealing" as per your personal taste.

Well it simply is not! We actually have the game, it is just to launch it and check! If it is then it is heavily downgraded or a medium/low/lowest type setting screenshot, and why would they downgrade Crysis when it already is out!.

Well I have my own TODs but those change just artistic aspects and I dont have my hands on the original right here. Flat high settings and it is evident the mountains have lots of trees/sprites even at this distance.

Very high settings draw distance for trees is obviously better. This is how I play Crysis.

This is flat medium with HDR enabled. As you see the distant vegetation is clearly visible.

This is flat low with HDR enabled. You still have visible vegetation at distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell is wrong with the colors in the direct feed shots? Looks like they're CMYK versions for print...

I'd also like to add, after watching the video, that all those overexposed pixels look very, very bad... Bleeding out everything to white won't make anything better :(

Check 0:54 and 0:58 as mentioned in the thread, of course it's a matter of opinion which is better, but XB360 seems to have softer shadows and lights, while on PS3 the shadows are tad sharper and the light reflecting on the ground has really pronounced edges, unlike XB360

Actually the 360 has higher resolution/better LOD for shadowmap if you look at 'fine-grain' detail pronouncation. You can also see to the right-middle height that the shadow LOD for the PS3 versions is more aggressive creating a line between sharp and blurry shadows

http://www.cubeupload.com/files/120c00cryenginecomparison.jpg

Actually the 360 has higher resolution/better LOD for shadowmap if you look at 'fine-grain' detail pronouncation. You can also see to the right-middle height that the shadow LOD for the PS3 versions is more aggressive creating a line between sharp and blurry shadows

http://www.cubeupload.com/files/120c00cryenginecomparison.jpg

Given the aliasing along the left side of the lit section, it looks like a stencil.... light?

Check 0:54 and 0:58 as mentioned in the thread, of course it's a matter of opinion which is better, but XB360 seems to have softer shadows and lights, while on PS3 the shadows are tad sharper and the light reflecting on the ground has really pronounced edges, unlike XB360
Also, look at the barrel and box missing shadows, unlike PS3.

Given the aliasing along the left side of the lit section, it looks like a stencil.... light?

Indeed whereas the 360 version seems to have static lighti/fake light with no shadows. IIRC the shadows from the flashlight in Crysis is stencil type.

What does he mean here,is he saying PS3 is better?

Yerli went on to describe how the engine is being built to perform across platforms. "The CE3 runs currently at more or less the same quality bar. I say more or less because the engine still optimizes itself to power of the platforms' intrinsics. So the PS3 will run slightly better here, it'll look and feel probably the same, but the engine is diverting computation needs to power subsystems available to the PS3, and the 360 differently, and PC differently."

I think it's just his english that's not too clear in that sentence, or perhaps we'd need to know what he was pointing at. It seems to me like he's saying "the ps3 will run slightly better here, the 360 there..." etc.

(...the pc everywhere... ;))

http://www.incrysis.com/images/stories/other/CryENGINE3.pdf

I like the info in the pdf in page 3.

Hot-Update for all Platforms
Changes can be made to original art asset sources (using standard art tools) for CryENGINE®3
SandboxTM on PC, then CryENGINE®3 immediately and automatically converts, compresses and optimizes
the content, then updates the output to all supported platforms. Developers can instantly see
the effect of lighting, material and modeling changes within moments on any supported platform.
Cross-platform development has never been so easy!

So autmatically adapting system, this should ensure high quality base asset that then is adapted to X platform.

Their improved GI solutions sounds interesting and ready for the future. I hope their multi-core support is better this time!

Msot other stuff seems the same as CE2 but probably tweaked etc.

So, where the heck is console Crysis already? I mean, that's obviously a real game there, not just an "engine".

I expect they'll announce/show it at E3 judging by the IGN interview.

Crytek needs to hurry up with that..

Seems a bit late in this gen for a new engine too. This is even later than Idtech 5. They just in essence say "it's for this gen and next gen so dont worry about it". Which doesnt seem possible..

So, where the heck is console Crysis already? I mean, that's obviously a real game there, not just an "engine".

I expect they'll announce/show it at E3 judging by the IGN interview.

Crytek needs to hurry up with that..

Just a demonstration of one part of the first mission. If you look you see it lacks all gameplay logic and just been modified to be adapted to the console limitations. And then the framerate really chugs like crazy.

I will say it does look to be true Crysis with all it's vast expanses intact if pared down visuals. As opposed to Crysis : Instincts with massively reduced scale.

Back