CryENGINE 3

Comparing the two consoles on this tech demo is a fun game in itself, but, really, it stands on very shaky ground since this demo runs virtually the same on both, give or take small bugs that are inherent to any software development process. Even more on cutting edge tech.
The engine interface to the rest of the world is the same, but internally it diverges in order to exploit the strength of each architecture.

Comparing the two consoles on this tech demo is a fun game in itself, but, really, it stands on very shaky ground since this demo runs virtually the same on both, give or take small bugs that are inherent to any software development process. Even more on cutting edge tech.
The engine interface to the rest of the world is the same, but internally it diverges in order to exploit the strength of each architecture.

Since your a Crytek dev, can't you just tell us the console differences? ;)

Great work btw, it's already looking like the most impressive open world engine in on consoles.

PS: After looking a bit closer; Grandmaster's right it's a blended frame not AA (or perhaps some blur effect in the 360 code).

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your a Crytek dev, can't you just tell us the console differences? ;)

No :D

It's a very good engine, that surpasses what I worked on and developed my self in the past and I'm very excited to be able to use it now. These guys are smart.

And can you tell us when/if we're gonna see a PC build running? I'd really like to see the differences in tech/performance between CE3 and CE2. I think some other people here might like it too. :LOL:

No :D

It's a very good engine, that surpasses what I worked on and developed my self in the past and I'm very excited to be able to use it now. These guys are smart.

:cry: Aww, why not?
I guess you want to sit there laughing to yourself, while we all try and decipher the IQ differences (and get them wrong)

Ok another question;
Are the images in this gallery all taken from consoles? Or are the CE3 PC shots in there as well (some seem to have AA).
Because some of the screens are really impressive.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7651_en.html

Ok another question;
Are the images in this gallery all taken from consoles? Or are the CE3 PC shots in there as well (some seem to have AA).
Because some of the screens are really impressive.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7651_en.html

11,12, 16-24, 26, 27. CE2 user created TOD/screenshots by community with CE2/CE2 tech features from older video. 13/14(?) says raw_pc.cry. Many of those are downscaled images.

Though that doesn't really mather since AFAIK CE3 will do everything CE2 does and more.

*** http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...eenshots/News/&menu=browser&article_id=677414

*** http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...ism-with-perfect-time-of-day-simulation/News/

Props to hawkeyeIpuppy for awesome TODs (browse thorugh thread to see the same/his screenshots done by him)! :oops:
*** http://crymod.com/thread.php?thread...0&sid=9927fcf677f0c97926cfb9e2bde7d3f8&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
1Though that doesn't really mather since AFAIK CE3 will do everything CE2 does and more.

Indeed...

Yerli addressed doubts expressed by the hardcore PC crowd. "There are some concerns from PC gamers that 'you've sold your soul to the consoles.' That is completely nonsense, because the PC version of CE 3 is still scalable and has more features, thanks to consoles actually…Let's say you want to do a PC-only game with CE 3 over CE 2, CE 3 will enable you to do more. There are features like our real-time lighting system and real-time global animation system that are not in CE2. These are features that are significant in adding visual fidelity that were not available with CE2.

Also, Fran.. can you clarify this statement?

"The CE3 runs currently at more or less the same quality bar. I say more or less because the engine still optimizes itself to power of the platforms' intrinsics. So the PS3 will run slightly better here, it'll look and feel probably the same, but the engine is diverting computation needs to power subsystems available to the PS3, and the 360 differently, and PC differently."

CE3 will optimise better on PS3 when compared to xbox360 or something else?... Also where does the PC stand in relation to this optimisation?

Judging by the techdemo it seems PS3 handles more lightsources better. Logo framerate with multiple lights, alley with more lights. Might be one part but of cousre +/- stuff for both versions visible in that video.

Just watched the Gamersyde HD comparison, much better quality feed in deed and it really DOES look impressive now and definitely one of the most impressive looking engine on consoles, well done Crytech! Thing is, since Crytech knows the engine the best, they have to at least make a game with CE3 to show case what it can do in the realworld, just like how Gears showed what UE3 could. And they need to do it fast, be it Crysis instinct or predator or else the hype will die down and newer games would surely bring competitions.

No idea, but one I just took (which is up close to the island, well closer) has a completey different texture compared to the ps3 which is rather odd.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3084/ce3360.jpg

Perhaps a higher LOD was loaded?

About the blur. Funnily enough I came across something very similar yesterday when I exported a 60fps capture at 59.94fps. The NLE didn't just drop the requisite frames as I thought it would, it blended the video instead. I'm almost certain that's what happened here because you can see the ghosting on the blades of the grass in the bottom left. In short, nothing to see here, move along ;)

Sounds reasonable enough of an explanation... How peculiar. :eek:

I'm still having a hard time believing all those 28 images from Gamersyde came from consoles. They were obviously rendered at different resolutions but look at pic 14, 22 and 23, aside from the resolution and AA, you're telling me consoles can render this level of graphics? Fran, sir?

I'm still having a hard time believing all those 28 images from Gamersyde came from consoles. They were obviously rendered at different resolutions but look at pic 14, 22 and 23, aside from the resolution and AA, you're telling me consoles can render this level of graphics? Fran, sir?

Higher resolution downsampling and MSAA can help alpha texture-heavy scenes quite a lot...

I do not know about the rest of you, but the video looked kind of ruff to me and did not create the best first impression. I do not know why you would show a stuttering and laggy video of your new multiplatform engine to potential developers, it just does not seem to be the best way to get people interested in using it. I have to admit it does produce some nice visuals though, particularly the volumetric smoke that interacts with the environment and the forest scene from the latter part of the demonstration.

Back