CryENGINE 3

I will say it does look to be true Crysis with all it's vast expanses intact if pared down visuals. As opposed to Crysis : Instincts with massively reduced scale.

Yeah but the techdemo lacked any AI etc. Nothing more than a modified "empty" shell of the Island mission. And who knows how much more would have to be reduced to move the framerate from unplayable to acceptable, seems not doable at all. As is Crytek hasn't mentioned anything about doing Crysis for consoles but they have several times stated they wont. All they are doing know and talking about is licensing their engine to other dev houses and so far ~20 seem to be interested! :D

All they are doing know and talking about is licensing their engine to other dev houses and so far ~20 seem to be interested! :D

Not too surprising "if" (big if) cross platform developement is as easy as they claim for Cryengine 3.

And if that's true and they get it running at good speeds on all platforms, it'll be hugely popular to develope on I would imagine.

Regards,
SB

Not too surprising "if" (big if) cross platform developement is as easy as they claim for Cryengine 3.

And if that's true and they get it running at good speeds on all platforms, it'll be hugely popular to develope on I would imagine.

Regards,
SB

I do know their editor is very advanced, easy to use and you can test out all stuff in realtime etc. I think the full dev tools will be very actractive to lots of developers. Let's hope for that atleast!

http://www.eurogamer.pt/gallery.php?article_id=491444#anchor
another comparison between the consoles. The PS3 definitely has sharper texture on the mountain and rocks in the 1st shot. In the 2nd shot, The lighting appeared to have a major difference between the two. I have to say PS3 probably has more effects in the lighting like light scattering as seen in the more natural color tone. The jagged shadow edge sticks out like a sore thumb though.

http://www.eurogamer.pt/gallery.php?article_id=491444#anchor
another comparison between the consoles. The PS3 definitely has sharper texture on the mountain and rocks in the 1st shot. In the 2nd shot, The lighting appeared to have a major difference between the two. I have to say PS3 probably has more effects in the lighting like light scattering as seen in the more natural color tone. The jagged shadow edge sticks out like a sore thumb though.

It's not sharper texture in the 1st shot, it's lack of distance fog on PS3

The direct feed looked a lot better. /me suggests everyone watch the gamersyde media. As for user comments, with Crytek labelling each shot, well, popcorn time because this is sure to be as good as the charging premium bandwidth for downloadable content! :LOL:

It's not sharper texture in the 1st shot, it's lack of distance fog on PS3

The blurring still affects the foreground on the 360 shot though (and it's not easy on my eyes). That said, it is hiding high frequency aliasing throughout when you zoom in (edges & foliage).

Has anyone noticed from the eurogamer comparison shots, the 360 shot seems to exhibit less aliasing than the PS3 one. There's also the missing distance fog Kaotik pointed out
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/4/9/1/4/4/4/PS3_1.bmp.jpg
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/4/9/1/4/4/4/360_1.bmp.jpg

ModEdit: Please don't hotlink from newsites, especially the larger file sized media. We've already got the link to the gallery above. -Al

To me it just seems that the 360 shot is blurry and PS3's is not.

:p More seriously, my first impression was a lower resolution with 4xAA & alpha-to-coverage for the foliage.

Why would they do that :?: The rest of the video looks consistent. Just a poor capture at the time?

Actually the 360 has higher resolution/better LOD for shadowmap if you look at 'fine-grain' detail pronouncation. You can also see to the right-middle height that the shadow LOD for the PS3 versions is more aggressive creating a line between sharp and blurry shadows

look better the video.It's just the splits of cascaded SM.

The WMV on the Gamersyde page is well worth a download. It looks sooooo much better than the previous cacky quality IGN re-encode. Lots more new shots. Frame rate remains the issue here but it looks sensational to me.

About the blur. Funnily enough I came across something very similar yesterday when I exported a 60fps capture at 59.94fps. The NLE didn't just drop the requisite frames as I thought it would, it blended the video instead. I'm almost certain that's what happened here because you can see the ghosting on the blades of the grass in the bottom left. In short, nothing to see here, move along ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back