CryENGINE 3

Hi guys, just downloaded the HD version but instead of playing it on my PC I played it on my PS3. Besides the lackluster cityscape, the reminder of the demo looked pretty good. You might want to check it out from that point of view.

I just watched the shitty, low res IGN compressed version of the trailer. The urban footage looked ugly, but the jungle footage looked spectacular. Though I'm assume when I watch it in proper HD resolution, I'll see the poor image quality people are referring too?. Still, the volumetric lighting and foliage animation looked very beautiful.

I want to know what platform are they running these demos on.......looks in line with 360 or PS3 because an 8800 series GPU could do better. I like how the later part of the demo with part of the early level in Crysis cut out all the trees, foliage and detail on the other shore probably just to get it to run with some stability :D

I want to know what platform are they running these demos on.......looks in line with 360 or PS3 because an 8800 series GPU could do better. I like how the later part of the demo with part of the early level in Crysis cut out all the trees, foliage and detail on the other shore probably just to get it to run with some stability :D

I think it's 360 footage (as is usually the case with new engines).

The jungle environments are by far the most impressive (and the lack of AA is much less noticeably here).

A question: In the jungle scenes like the one below, is the land on the other side of the bay all real geometry? or is it some sort of image based rendering (like Far Cry 1 did), cause it looks impressive.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2dm9z9.jpg

The jungle environments are by far the most impressive (and the lack of AA is much less noticeably here).

A question: In the jungle scenes like the one below, is the land on the other side of the bay all real geometry? or is it some sort of image based rendering (like Far Cry 1 did), cause it looks impressive.

Crytek said the trailer contains both 360 and PS3 footage. No way to tell which is which though.

Anyways, the more I look at the vid it becomes more impressive. I even made a post on another board meant to embarrass Cryengine 3 by embedding HD youtubes of Cry3 then Crysis running on a high end PC for comparison. But actually it kinda backfired because Cry3 didn't look too bad by comparison.

I think it helps when the vid is small, but thats partly because the vid quality is terrible from ign. the HD one is like 20 Mb..

Hi guys, just downloaded the HD version but instead of playing it on my PC I played it on my PS3. Besides the lackluster cityscape, the reminder of the demo looked pretty good. You might want to check it out from that point of view.

Yeah, the city looks terrible. That's the bad part of the demo.

Crytek said the trailer contains both 360 and PS3 footage. No way to tell which is which though.

Anyways, the more I look at the vid it becomes more impressive. I even made a post on another board meant to embarrass Cryengine 3 by embedding HD youtubes of Cry3 then Crysis running on a high end PC for comparison. But actually it kinda backfired because Cry3 didn't look too bad by comparison.

I think it helps when the vid is small, but thats partly because the vid quality is terrible from ign. the HD one is like 20 Mb..
These two GIFs are from different console implementations (look at the muzzle flashes).

http://i43.tinypic.com/v805kl.gif

http://i42.tinypic.com/34h8fo7.gif

They might be from different console versions, but what they show is different firing modes. First one looks like a much more powerful alt-fire (a normal bullet wouldn't make trees move like that), without any spent ammo ejecting. Second looks like normal fire, with spent ammo ejecting.
The one that you think isn't ejecting ammo ejected on the right side of the gun. Of course, it just seems like the casings are appearing out of nowhere in the bottom GIF (no opening). Also, I doubt that is an alt-fire shown coming from the same chamber.

The one that you think isn't ejecting ammo ejected on the right side of the gun. Of course, it just seems like the casings are appearing out of nowhere in the bottom GIF (no opening). Also, I doubt that is an alt-fire shown coming from the same chamber.

I think it is an alt fire. Though it does come from the same barrel which is weird. Later in the vid the part where he shoots down the building with some type of grenade it comes from the same gun with the same muzzle flash as the part where the palm trees are being shot. It's at about the 0:38 mark.

Well, besides the lack of MSAA, texture resolution, texture filtering, or abundant AI, the lighting fidelity is still present. I mean, throughout there is the obviety of light rays from occluding objects and the physics aspect, as well as the city environment with many occluders. I get the impression the video was hastily put together as the framerate is not particularly solid. Other subtle effects such as self-shadowing and even player-character shadows still come through.
Looks rushed as hell tbh.

No surprise the jungle looks best too given we have Crysis assets readily available :p

I don't recall Far Cry 1 using any 2D bitmap backgrounds for islands. Games like Halo 2 did, but not Far Cry.

It is interesting how the mountainous terrain off in the distance still manages to look pretty good, considering how Crytek seemingly clipped out all the little tree and bush sprites that usually populate islands from afar. That's probably the most glaring omission from the PC version to me, is all the little LOD-generated foliage sprites littering the distant islands. Which indicates to me that the devs are struggling a bit with memory management and getting the game to run with the relatively low amount of RAM that the consoles are equipped with. Because they're strapped for memory (and aren't very experienced with dealing with memory management on consoles in the first place), they decide to clip the expendable details, particularly the ones way off in the distance, in order to make their task of streaming the big open levels work.

That is real geometry although not really much but it does the work together with mapping. And Far Cry had no 2D background landscape, it was all 3D.

Back