CryENGINE 3

I don't recall Far Cry 1 using any 2D bitmap backgrounds for islands. Games like Halo 2 did, but not Far Cry.

It is interesting how the mountainous terrain off in the distance still manages to look pretty good, considering how Crytek seemingly clipped out all the little tree and bush sprites that usually populate islands from afar. That's probably the most glaring omission from the PC version to me, is all the little LOD-generated foliage sprites littering the distant islands. Which indicates to me that the devs are struggling a bit with memory management and getting the game to run with the relatively low amount of RAM that the consoles are equipped with. Because they're strapped for memory (and aren't very experienced with dealing with memory management on consoles in the first place), they decide to clip the expendable details, particularly the ones way off in the distance, in order to make their task of streaming the big open levels work.

On that:

*thanks to marcocatena at crymod.com*

CryEngineComparison.jpg

http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=45537&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=3

Considering we are talking about Crytek and their lengendary ability to push hardware...and considering we are talking about running their stuff on these (what I consider to be extremely limited hardware) consoles, its not that bad. I think we are definitely spoiled by the PC's capabilities and what the Crysis series look like on truly top end hardware.

I agree with the urban demo portion looking really bad but the island vegetation bit was not bad at all all. I am impressed but not as much as I was hoping to be. Especially with that screenshot that pjbliverpool posted. It feels a bit rushed that trailer and I am sure they have improvements coming down the pipeline for that engine. I just hope and pray that they dont give up pushing the limits on PC hardware.

I think its looking pretty good, when you take into account the vastly lower spec of consoles compared to the high end PCs you see most of the Crysis screenshots on.

[size=-2]Still think it'll be TS4 we see first![/size]

Btw Gamersyde has a true high quailty extended video not just showing a bit more but also labeling PS3/360 rendering sections. There is a difference. Otherwise the HQ video just shows what looks like and runs like commented before in this thread.

http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_10376_en.html

Was gonna post it. The 360/PS3 labeling is welcome but will be the source of endless battles. :LOL:

I still want to see it on PC. :(

Edit: curious difference in lighting between 0:53 and 0:58.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was gonna post it. The 360/PS3 labeling is welcome but will be the source of endless battles. :LOL:

I still want to see it on PC. :(

Haha!

Yeah I thought about that when the camera was moving into the city walk-end since there was quite a difference there! :oops:

IMO I will be happy with just perfomance improvments and I dont expect much added tech if any. I mean check the link below for custom user TODs for Crysis, do we really need better?

http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=44080

Crytek just released a batch of new (PC-version) screenshots of the CE3, which are from what I can only assume to be the PC version of the engine, judging by the 16x10 resolution aspect ratio. Here's a good comparison between the console teaser video and one of the (supposedly) PC screens:

The two shots actually look surprisingly similar in terms of the effects and object detail being rendered on-screen. If the above is a shot of the PC version, then I take back some of the things I said before about certain LOD details being clipped out.

Here are the rest of the new direct-feed screens: http://gallery.thatvideogameblog.com/cryengine-3/Volumetric-Layer-and-View-D.jpg.html

hmmm .. the ps3 version is missing fog at 1:22

Yes I haven't notice ; but I see more polished and vsync on ps3 compared 360 version. And IQ well I guess, even textures have something but it's only my personal perception surely. Fixed. Some parts have more shadows and fog indeed on 360 but at least the cleaner seems better on ps3 (strange) for now.

Real-time Dynamic Global Illumination

CryENGINE®3 features a novel real-time dynamic global illumination solution, fully optimised for current and next generation platforms. For the first time – without pre-computation or geometric limits – you can experience light-bounces, colour bleeding and specular effects in a real-time game engine – unified for all static and dynamic objects.

Deferred Lighting

The CryENGINE®3 unique deferred lighting solution allows the rendering of a vast amount of light sources with per pixel shading efficiently; and simplifies engine performance tuning across multiple platforms.

Natural Lighting & Dynamic Soft Shadows

CryENGINE®3 features near-reality natural lighting at low-cost on multiple platforms; and creates soft shadows that dynamically respond to natural movements in real time. High-resolution, perspective correct and volumetric smooth-shadow implementations are also included in CryENGINE®3.

Subsurface Scattering

Simulates the diffusion and diffraction of light transmitted through translucent objects, like ice and jade. The CryENGINE®3 unified solution can be used on in-game assets such as trees and plants or to create realistic human skin.

CryENGINE®3 Realistic Infinite Worlds

CryENGINE®2 introduced incredibly interactive photo-realistic worlds, with huge natural environments that responded to player input and game events as if in the real world. From naturally frozen nature to fully destructible vegetation and buildings, players saw the game world as near real for the first time. CryENGINE®3 continues with this benchmark level of interactive realism in worlds limited in size only by the development budget; thanks to intelligent streaming of game data.

Natural World Effects

CryENGINE®3 features the most natural looking environments available in real-time – adding enhanced natural lighting to our existing large scale natural world representations.

Dynamic Volumetric Light Beams & Light Shaft Effects

These are used to create visually stunning light beams and shadows when light intersects with solid, highly detailed geometry, and to generate god ray phenomena in skies, on earth and through water.

Streaming

Game levels rarely fit into memory of most hardware platforms, so streaming content is often required. With the CryENGINE®3 scalable streaming solution, data is clustered for fast access, platform-specific features are utilized and data content is prepared and compressed for optimal streaming. CryENGINE®3 utilizes multiple CPUs and schedules access based on dynamic priorities, to deliver an efficient and scalable multiplatform streaming solution.

Integrated Multi-threaded High Performance Physics Engine

CryENGINE®3 physics can be applied to almost everything in a game world, including buildings, props, trees and vegetation, to realistically model reactions to forces such as: wind currents, explosions, gravity, friction and collisions with other objects, without the need of external middleware.

Interactive & Destructible Environments

All environments in CryENGINE®3 can be dynamically physicalized, regardless of their nature (wood, steel, concrete, natural vegetation, cloth, etc.). This allows procedural destruction of as much of the nvironment as the game requires. All broken objects or parts can be interactive, with realistic properties such as mass, buoyancy, etc. applied to the debris.

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=27428

A lot more at the link.

Crytek just released a batch of new (PC-version) screenshots of the CE3, which are from what I can only assume to be the PC version of the engine, judging by the 16x10 resolution aspect ratio. Here's a good comparison between the console teaser video and one of the (supposedly) PC screens:

The two shots actually look surprisingly similar in terms of the effects and object detail being rendered on-screen. If the above is a shot of the PC version, then I take back some of the things I said before about certain LOD details being clipped out.

Here are the rest of the new direct-feed screens: http://gallery.thatvideogameblog.com/cryengine-3/Volumetric-Layer-and-View-D.jpg.html

That won't be the PC version. Or if it is then CE3 is significantly worse than CE2 as Crysis looks way better than that on only "high" settings.

Regarduing the extended video, I've gotta say, the new pine tree location looks very, very good, especially that waterfall!

The beach front location shows a very clear downgrade in the water quality though (just before the scene changes to indoor)

Theres a sense of disparity between the amazing descriptions of what the engine can do versus the pretty standard current gen visuals it seems to be managing in the video.

Probably because the video only focuses on the current-gen version of the engine. Remember that it's designed for next-gen as well.

That won't be the PC version. Or if it is then CE3 is significantly worse than CE2 as Crysis looks way better than that on only "high" settings.
That would actually make zero sense, the idea of CE3 looking worse than CE2. All signs do point to those screens being the PC version, including the fact that the 16x10 aspect ratio is a very common PC screen format (and never a console format). Besides, "looking worse" or "better" is a highly subjective statement that may have little or no technical basis, especially considering the fact that the screen in question is set during a different TOD and is rather darkly lit, and thus may not appear as "visually appealing" as per your personal taste.

That would actually make zero sense, the idea of CE3 looking worse than CE2. All signs do point to those screens being the PC version, including the fact that the 16x10 aspect ratio is a very common PC screen format (and never a console format). Besides, "looking worse" or "better" is a highly subjective statement that may have little or no technical basis, especially considering the fact that the screen in question is set during a different TOD and is rather darkly lit, and thus may not appear as "visually appealing" as per your personal taste.

No, its blatently a worse loking shot than what you get in game with Crysis. Just look at the shot I posted higher up this page. The view distance alone is in a different league.

EDIT: Here's a pic of the same scene I just took on my PC at a mixture of high / very high settings:

Crysis1.jpg

Back