CryENGINE 3

Can't say I'm overly impressed, I've definitely seen better on consoles. Maybe the engine is rushed for GDC showcase but atm, it looks very rough. Would like to see some direct feed from crytech.

I think it looks pretty good, considering it's a virgin developmental effort from Crytek in the console space. Although like a lot of people, I was holding out hope for them to really work some wonders with the current-gen hardware, but I guess that wasn't realistic. Who knows--maybe with some time and further optimization, we'll see some improved visual fidelity to what we're seeing now.

Well, It's perfectly understandable since it's their first attempt on nextgen consoles. If Naughty Dog is kind enough maybe they can share some pointers on how to stream textures efficiently on PS3.

Bearing in mind it's a cross-platform engine running on hardware that would struggle with the original Crysis, I'd say that it looks very good. I think where Killzone 2 has changed the game is in directing the artists to create assets that distinctly suit the strengths and weaknesses of the hardware being targeted. Perhaps it's not possible on a cross-platform engine, but the artistic look here was very generic in places... here's hoping they're placeholder assets.

Frame rate definitely needs some work. The shot where the building collapses looked pretty terrible and exactly how I'd imagine a bog standard Crysis port looking on Xbox 360. It also looked to me like some shots were v-locked while others weren't...

Bearing in mind it's a cross-platform engine running on hardware that would struggle with the original Crysis, I'd say that it looks very good. I think where Killzone 2 has changed the game is in directing the artists to create assets that distinctly suit the strengths and weaknesses of the hardware being targeted. Perhaps it's not possible on a cross-platform engine, but the artistic look here was very generic in places... here's hoping they're placeholder assets.

Frame rate definitely needs some work. The shot where the building collapses looked pretty terrible and exactly how I'd imagine a bog standard Crysis port looking on Xbox 360. It also looked to me like some shots were v-locked while others weren't...

Indeed, it's also rendering expansive, free roaming environments, unlike KZ2.
It should be compared with GTA4 or Far Cry 2, and the tech looks impressive in that company.

I think 'horrible' is pushing it a bit. I'm thinking that for many of the shots, we're seeing placeholder assets designed to show off an individual effect.

I think that if Crytek were opting to wow gamers, they'd have stuck to the jungle/vista-style shots... the sort we saw in that amazing, original CE2 demo - then everyone would be raving about how PS3 and 360 were running a very impressive rendition of Crysis and reaction would be far more positive.

Some moments are quite impressive, some, especially the textures in the early scenes, quite average.

Mixed bag overall, and slightly disappointing for "Crysis on consoles".

As the Console Technology forums, marketing discussion should have no place in here.

People have unrealistic expectations. Cryengine never was miracle/out of this world technology.
It's just a tech developped with highend hardware specs/target. and scallability.
They obviously had to do a lot of optimisation on CE2 to get this results and also they apparently reused old assets , quickly cut down .

Attention <STRIKE>Console</STRIKE> Platform Warriors:
Posts were deleted. Please stop the passive-aggressive comments WRT PC, consoles, Game & Watch, etc.

Ummm... if by chance my previous post was targeted by either of the mod posts, the reason I said in here that I'd like to see the PC iteration is twofold. I want to see it on the PC to compare its visuals/performance with CryENGINE 2, not to compare with the consoles because there's no point in that, and this is the only CryENGINE 3 thread available for now. :)

Well, besides the lack of MSAA, texture resolution, texture filtering, or abundant AI, the lighting fidelity is still present. I mean, throughout there is the obviety of light rays from occluding objects and the physics aspect, as well as the city environment with many occluders. I get the impression the video was hastily put together as the framerate is not particularly solid. Other subtle effects such as self-shadowing and even player-character shadows still come through.

Can't say I'm overly impressed, I've definitely seen better on consoles.

With what console game(s) you are comparing Crysis ? AFAIK, except FC2, there isn't a single FPS game with open-world style of gameplay and couple square miles of terrain rendered. I hope you don't have KZ2/MGS4 in mind 'cause they are not sandbox type of games, hence the engines and level design differ severely.

Last edited by a moderator:
AA would help a lot.

I don't think it looks bad, but it certainly isn't in a "whole other league" like some were no doubt expecting. Anyway, as Al "Banshee dropper" Strong said, we should reserve judgement until we see fully populated gameplay sequences.

Back