CryENGINE 3

Now the interesting but confusing part is that they say PC DX9/DX10 and release date 2011/2012. Why not list DX10.1, DX11 or even DX12 if that would rear it's face by then.
Well sounds to me like its an engine for the here and now. But with the capability to scale forward and target future platforms. Considering they've made the move to bring a CE3 so early, I wouldn't be surprised if the engine being licensed in 2012 will be CE4 with again a new architecture and support for a change in technological goals/philosophies.

Well sounds to me like its an engine for the here and now. But with the capability to scale forward and target future platforms. Considering they've made the move to bring a CE3 so early, I wouldn't be surprised if the engine being licensed in 2012 will be CE4 with again a new architecture and support for a change in technological goals/philosophies.

Infact the main reason they have brought out cry3 now is so that cry4, wont be numerically challenged against unreal4

xbox 360 anyone?

Sorry Fran, only kidding. :)

It seems this version isn't as console specific as I originally assumed. Kotaku is reporting it as being just as targeted towards the PC in addition to the PS3 and 360.

Which means it's not just a "console version" of CryENGINE 2.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems awfully quick to have a brand new engine out. I'm very curious to see what makes this CryENGINE 3, and not CryENGINE 2.5.

Well, the original Far Cry was released in 2004 and in 2005 we already had a tech demonstration video of Cryengine 2, so it's not without precedent.

Anyone else feel that the main goal of CE3 is to be more like Id Tech 5 and be multiplatform optimised where Devs dont have to sub-contract other devs for doing the ports on other plaform?

Also, yeah interesting about '11/'12 release and no mention of dx11.

cryengine will have nothing to do with dx9 if it is to come out on ps3

asheder model 3.0 etc, yeah, but dx9? forget about it

http://darkzero.co.uk/game-news/former-gears-of-war-team-starting-work-on-next-generation-project/

Following up on asking for new blood to join their Halo team, Microsoft Games Studio also seems to be seeking more staff to join them for a brand new project helmed by people who formerly worked on the Gears of War games. The news once again comes from a job listing that appeared on Gamastura.

As with all listings, nothing hugely exciting is given away, but the small snippets of info we get are enough to get excited about.

“Are you interested in creating innovative games that will change the way people play? If so, we want you to join our team to work on a next-generation project, built from the ground up at Microsoft Game Studios. We have a very strong team, (formerly the Gears of War Pub / Dev team) starting a new project in a start-up like environment. This is a rare opportunity to work on a team of game industry experts tackling the challenges of creating innovative social games which use software and hardware technologies in new ways.” says the adverts, one asking for a F/X Artist, and the other asking for an Artist .

Delving further into the listings, many mentions of various tools developers use are highlighted, such as Maya, XSI, and Photoshop. However, near the end it is stated “use with the Unreal 3 Engine or CryEngine a plus,” which is a rather interesting inclusion.

Maybe this will be one of the first console titles to use the recently announced CryEngine 3 by Crytek?

SM3.0 is DX9.
Or DX9 encompasses SM3.0 functionality :)

Of couse shader models can also be synonymous with other APIs.

I think the engine will scale back to support this in DX9 anyway, to me it seems unlikely they'd drop it.

cryengine will have nothing to do with dx9 if it is to come out on ps3

asheder model 3.0 etc, yeah, but dx9? forget about it

The engine is for PC to and thus they have backwards compatibility with DX9. And since the HW brute force allows it to go far beyond current consoles HW capabilities even in DX9 rendering path (with CE2 and CE3 is a refined and more optimised version) it still is good that it is included . And SM3.0 is part of DX9, SM4.0 DX10 and SM4.1 DX10.1. ;)

So ummm... when exactly are the Crytek guys gonna be showing the new engine? Will the general internet audience be able to lay eyes on it too? :)

It looks like the footage shown might be running on consoles, judging by the analog joystick aiming and movement controls, and the fact that only the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 logos are shown at the start of the video. It would also make sense to show those versions, considering that the CryEngine is expressly being marketed and produced as a multiplatform engine.

Update:
Crytek confirms that the footage is from the PS3 and 360 versions. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/965/965247p1.html

Looks pretty darned good to me. Dare I say, perhaps even better in some ways than the original Crysis? I mean, the part where you see the sweeping island view and the shooting of the palm tree leaves reminds me of the very early Crysis tech demos/target renders (which the final game didn't quite meet).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if I should be impressed with the lack of characters on screen... mm... I would like to know more of course. Empty worlds are a bit of a... pet peeve of mine.

Back