CryENGINE 3

The GI calculations are almost free in the current implementation. The GI quality can be increased with a corresponding decrease in FPS. It's all in cryteks pdf.

The baked GI won't work for destructible environments so that is a no go.

hm... the edge AA seems to also affect the specular/normal maps (blurrier). Works ok for the near vertical/horizontal edges, but the balcony and the ledges in the center of that shot look terrible. :s

So no MLAA for CryEngine3 :(. I wish we could have seen some comparison shots between their solution and MLAA. I guess we will have to wait until Killzone3 to see how well it works with a FPS.

So no MLAA for CryEngine3 :(. I wish we could have seen some comparison shots between their solution and MLAA. I guess we will have to wait until Killzone3 to see how well it works with a FPS.
It should work just fine, if you have proper solution for a thin and far away geometry. ;)

Their EdgeAA blur close objects quite strong [and make some artifacts] and dont AA edges as good as MLAA, but its cheaper.

Their EdgeAA blur close objects quite strong [and make some artifacts] and dont AA edges as good as MLAA, but its cheaper.
Seemed to work quite well, judging from the images shown at GDC China. Almost as good as 4xAA on some edges:
ezenbc.gif

Unfortunate

Just look at screens from this presentation http://advances.realtimerendering.c... 2010 Advanced RealTime Rendering Course).pdf

before EdgeAA
http://strony.aster.pl/kakarotto/snap01750.jpg
After EdgeAA
http://strony.aster.pl/kakarotto/snap01751.jpg
There's blur, lack of details and artifacts [like a shadow around an object]

That is unfortunate, my friend, and I feel it is unnecessary. They should have simply made a lower render resolution and had high quality AA like Street Fighter.

People don't mind low res. Look at best seller COD.

That is unfortunate, my friend, and I feel it is unnecessary. They should have simply made a lower render resolution and had high quality AA like Street Fighter.

People don't mind low res. Look at best seller COD.

In such a game like Crysis 2 lowering resolution might not be enough to counter perfomance hit from 2xAA and might end up with bigger RAM/VRAM needs. Maybe if reaching resolutions closer to 800x600 but that would be undesirable. Then the slight blur from their edge AA solution is better.

Edge blur really doesn't 'hurts' the looks while playing Crysis, but the reduced jagged edges certainly help in making the game look good. So I am all fine with Edge AA

In such a game like Crysis 2 lowering resolution might not be enough to counter perfomance hit from 2xAA and might end up with bigger RAM/VRAM needs. Maybe if reaching resolutions closer to 800x600 but that would be undesirable. Then the slight blur from their edge AA solution is better.
I guess there are also commercial consideration as a sub-HD games no matter its merit and even how it looks in the end would have been bad advertisement for an engine provider as Crytek.

Yeah, this really looks better. Nice contrast, realistic lighting, nothing really overdone.

Relatively small, enclosed space though...

That's pretty convincing. You can see secondary reflection from the archways up onto the little wall in the second pic, so there's reasonable resolution there. I'm not up to speed - this is just static scenery GI, right, and dynamic objects aren't geing lit this way nor affecting GI lighting?

Back