CryENGINE 3

Crysis 2 PS3 'performs better than 360 version'
Wednesday 14-Apr-2010 12:45 PM
I don't understand why crytek release those idiots statements. Of course it's more fast on the ps3: in some parts not said to use half of resolution in lighting if I remember correctly? I means if more fast regards those elements well, great... :???: will see, but to now I'm very skeptical about how platform will performer better especially knowing pc developers.

For hardware tessllation I'm guessing?

No, you don't get my question - what exactly should the engine use hardware tesselation for?

As in, what is in Crysis 2 that would benefit from tesselation, especially at the relatively low quality that the X360 hardware can deal with? The most reasonable uses would be large open terrain, or interactive water, but none of these seem to be abundant in New York City.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't hardware tessellation allow you to do away with Normal Maps and implement a level of detail directly on the GPU allowing very detailed models with high poligons instead of the low poly used today with normal maps?

No, tesselation is just a tool: it takes a simple description of a surface and generates a polygonal mesh from it, possibly taking several parameters like curvature, view distance etc. into account. What you use tesselation for is another question.

It is possible to tesselate a surface to such a degree that every polygon is as small or smaller then a pixel on the final image. In that case the detail's enough so that you won't need normal mapping. But it's a very rare case even if offline rendering, and current GPU hardware's efficiency would be completely ruined by such polygon counts.

But tesselation makes sense for many other possible reasons, like automatic LOD for terrain or water, smooth curved surfaces and so on.

I believe Id Software is working on a hardware tessellation solution for DX11 enabled GPUs, maybe Id Tech 5 will implement HT, not sure if the consoles have the right hardware but mabye the 360's GPU will have some functionality. Does anyone know?

Id Software is currently working on a virtual texturing engine; their next engine's feature set is far from being set in stone yet. They are looking into rendering using sparse voxel octrees, which is something very different from tesselation; but depending on the direction that next gen graphics hardware is going to follow, they may end up abandoning the voxel research.

Id Software is currently working on a virtual texturing engine; their next engine's feature set is far from being set in stone yet. They are looking into rendering using sparse voxel octrees, which is something very different from tesselation; but depending on the direction that next gen graphics hardware is going to follow, they may end up abandoning the voxel research.

Seems like Crytek is looking into it as well :p

http://raytracey.blogspot.com/2009/09/sparse-voxel-octree-in-cryengine-3.html

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28504/Ignition_London_Licenses_CryEngine_3_For_Flagship_Title.php

Crytek has announced a new licensor for its CryEngine 3 in the form of UTV subsidiary Ignition (Deadly Premonition publisher), which will use the engine for an action-adventure title being created at its London development studio.

Publisher/developer Ignition, which is headquartered in the U.K. with offices in Los Angeles, Florida, London, Mumbai and Tokyo, will use the engine for a "flagship title" described as a "uniquely crafted combat action-adventure, set for release on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3."

Maybe an attempt to salvage WarDevil? Fits the bill - owned by UTV, London, action/adventure; last I heard they had a huge art team and close to zero programmers on the team - so buying an engine would make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really...but these are the same guys who published Muramasa: The Demon Blade...& that was a good game.
But I see where you're coming from Deadly Premonition was awful tech wise, from what I've heard it has a good story...could've been great if it had good production values.

Ignition seems to be an up an comer since they hired Shane Bettenhausen. He said on a podcast they're owned by an Indian conglomerate with lots of dollars.

Ignition seems to be an up an comer since they hired Shane Bettenhausen. He said on a podcast they're owned by an Indian conglomerate with lots of dollars.
Yea the company's name is UTV Networks, lots of money...very big player in the entertainment industry here.

I'd have thought the real keywords here are'Holiday Season'. ;) Missing that would be Bad as everyone's money will be spent already.

Wouldn't that defeat the pont? Wardevil ws supposed to have this amazing scalable engine that'd produce visuals for games or movies. Lose that and you have just-another-game.

Sounds like a pipe dream to me. Unless of course the do a serious downgrade to basically everything in the game.

Edited for clarification: I was refering to the whole RTE1080 engine @60fps real-time "surpassing pre-rendered cutscenes" thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a pipe dream to me. Unless of course the do a serious downgrade to basically everything in the game.

Edited for clarification: I was refering to the whole RTE1080 engine @60fps real-time "surpassing pre-rendered cutscenes" thing.

Just to know where is finished this project? :???:

I'm confused... isn't WarDevil meant to be by the developer "Digi-guys" and not the Deadly Premonition dudes?

Edit: Just realised Ignition is their publisher hence the connection. However still stands to reason that it sounds like Ignition licensed CE3 for the Deadly Premonition guys and not Digi-Guys.... dunno?

Quite a few fascinating stuff.

They say "server side rendering" "could change the direction" of future graphics drastically. And that 4G provides a good base in the next few years for server side rendering.

They also blatantly state consoles are holding graphics back, wont see a major jump or new techniques for ~5 years. Next ~3 years will be constrained by current consoles hardware.

Back