Console Steering Wheel peripherals [2021]

the confusing thing is that FH harder to play with a steering wheel despite it should be easier. At least when compared to "simulation" games like GT and Dirt rally.

I have not tried F with a steering wheel.
can't keep the car from not sliding on Off-Road on wheel. It's just impossible I feel without letting go of the accelerator while everyone else is just full hamming it

the confusing thing is that FH harder to play with a steering wheel despite it should be easier. At least when compared to "simulation" games like GT and Dirt rally.

I have not tried F with a steering wheel.

It comes down to the emphasis on arcade driving versus simulation driving. From what I've heard Forza Motorsport works extremely well with steering wheels. So, I'm guessing that there's a lot of game code that assist with driving in an arcade like manner, like the following post where iroboto mentions controller players seemingly being able to keep the accelerator down. Steering wheels likely don't have the same assists built into the game code because then there would be a disconnect between what the wheel is doing versus what's happening in game WRT to the underlying driving simulation.

Basically, it's easier to abstract the driving mechanics for controller than it is for the steering wheel because there's no expectation of a certain type of driving response that is embedded in many people with experience driving cars. And thus to make the game more accessible to casual (arcade driving style) players, control with a controller is made to be a lot more forgiving of mistakes in control.

From my experience thus far, I have to say that while the controller is surprisingly (to me) easy to use in FH5, it also feels unrealistic. IE - there's times where I feel the car should be losing traction due to my speed and cornering but with the controller the car is still sticking to the track like glue. This is especially true at higher speeds where I am not good at using analog sticks to make smooth turns. For me it's more like nudge nudge nudge. But the controller logic is so forgiving that instead of making me lose traction, it assumes that analog sticks are naturally difficult to make smooth turns with so it compensates by being far more forgiving with the threshold for immediate traction loss.

I haven't tried mouse and keyboard driving yet, but I'm going to assume that same code is even more forgiving when driving using a keyboard and mouse.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I got a full back workout last night from playing several hours. I need to turn down the force feedback as once you go off road, good bye forearms.
I personally drive a car without power steering, and I found off-road driving to be exhausting with a FFB wheel. ANd it's incredibly hard to control, because it's constantly shaking your wheel left and right and left and right. The idea of sliding out and being able to counter steer is so hard because you need to turn the wheel so much.

I changed my axis dead zones to basically be a full revolution when turning 90 degrees just to be abble to counter steer. I cannot hold the wheel with one hand without hurting my wrists.

Watching Jericho on stream get used to a steering wheel is interesting. You can see that he's obviously used to using analog sticks on a controller. Whenever he loses traction due to oversteer/understeer he does the rookie driving mistake of over correcting and not letting up on the correction soon enough so that he ends up just swinging from one extreme to the other.

Something that works with analog sticks due to controller assists (allows for letting up on corrections later while still maintaining control) that are built into the game but will result in overcorrection leading to overcorrection leading to overcorrection leading to crash or spin out just like in real life if you steer into the slide for too long which initates another slide etc., when done with a steering wheel.

[edit] OK, he switched to Assetto Corsa on PC and he still makes the same rookie driving mistakes but they aren't as bad. So, support for steering wheels at least on the PC version of the game isn't the best. There's also better wheel configuration options in Assetto Corso.

Apparently there's a patch in the works to address some issues with steering wheels in the PC version of FH5, not sure about the console version.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
The driving schools bored me. But the instant racing (the top left menu) is really fun.

At first I only can play on the oval track. But then I became able to play on other tracks too.

I also really like with how the force feedback convey road texture. Like one of the Japan highway with lots of seams every few meters.

My t150 steering wheel force feedback is not good enough tho. As the ffb is basically gone when the steer is in the middle/neutral position.

Maybe wrong dead zone setting....
I have a G29, I love it when I go over a crest and the feel the steering wheel goes light then heavy again as the car hits the ground again. Hit the wall and have damage on, the steering wheel goes crooked until you able to get to the pits and repair.

I recommend nothing less than the G29 as the entry wheel for GTSport. I've had people say they want to get the T150 etc. I told them rather save a little more money and get the G29 because it's a better steering wheel. I will stick to that conclusion.

Last edited:
I have a G29, I love it when I go over a crest and the feel the steering wheel goes light then heavy again as the car hits the ground again. Hit the wall and have damage on, the steering wheel goes crooked until you able to get to the pits and repair.

I recommend nothing less than the G29 as the entry wheel for GTSport. I've had people say they want to get the T150 etc. I told them rather save a little more money and get the G29 because it's a better steering wheel. I will stick to that conclusion.

that feeling is also in T150.

btw from people that have both, their conclusion was something like this (just from what i remembered)
  • G29 (or its twin, G920) have a muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better build quality and finish than T150 (or its twin, TMX)
  • T150 have a smoother / less clicky / less clunky turning (someone disassembled them and turns out it was because g29 use pure gear, while T150 use gear + rubber ribbon hybrid thingy)
  • T150 have stronger force feedback than G29
  • G29 have better pedals (but when compared to T 150 pro rs, they say the pedals are comparably good with g29)
  • T150 is quieter than G29 (some say G29 in a rally disturb their neighbor but I'm sure they were exaggerating)
  • If the decision was between G29, T150, T150 RS Pro, just grab whichever got cheaper deals. Except for T150. Its better to go a bit more expensive for G29 or T150 RS PRO.

Reactions: snc
I read that the T150 may be less reliable than the equivalent Logitech, but mine is okay so far. Can’t say I’ve used it that much in the few years I’ve had it, though. It was available, it’s not especially noisy, and the Pro pedals aren’t bad. Either should be fine as a second wheel. If you’re buying new, ponying up for a direct drive with interchangeable wheels that will work on all systems makes more sense.

official gran turismo wheel from Thrustmaster

A much cheaper ps5 wheel

And a wheel for xbox users

Last edited:
Yeesh, went to potentially pick up a G923 at Amazon and they are now completely sold out of the Xbox version and the PlayStation version has gone up from 349 USD to 390 USD. Amazon themselves are completely out of stock, so it's just 3rd parties selling it on Amazon now.

Also, the G920 is completely sold out. 1 week ago they were still well stocked at 243-249 USD. On the PS side you can still get the G29 for 243 USD.

Looks like FH5 likely completely wiped out stock of Xbox compatible Logitech wheels on Amazon. Looks like stock of Thrustmaster (TMX) Xbox compatible wheels have also been wiped out at Amazon US. I currently only see 1 listing for the UK version of the wheel from a 3rd party.

Looks like I may not be able to easily get a wheel until after the Holiday shopping season.

that feeling is also in T150.

btw from people that have both, their conclusion was something like this (just from what i remembered)
  • G29 (or its twin, G920) have a muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better build quality and finish than T150 (or its twin, TMX)
  • T150 have a smoother / less clicky / less clunky turning (someone disassembled them and turns out it was because g29 use pure gear, while T150 use gear + rubber ribbon hybrid thingy)
  • T150 have stronger force feedback than G29
  • G29 have better pedals (but when compared to T 150 pro rs, they say the pedals are comparably good with g29)
  • T150 is quieter than G29 (some say G29 in a rally disturb their neighbor but I'm sure they were exaggerating)
  • If the decision was between G29, T150, T150 RS Pro, just grab whichever got cheaper deals. Except for T150. Its better to go a bit more expensive for G29 or T150 RS PRO.

Many of those are due to Thrustmaster sticking with the belt driven system while Logitech switched away from belt drive to their current, less satisfactory and less robust system. Lots of people were not happy when Logitech ditched the belt driven system that they used to have (and which earned them a reputation of having the best wheels back in the late 90's early 2000's) for the new mechanism. The new mechanism, at the time of the switch, was less crisp, had less force, and just overall felt weak and mushy compared to their previous belt driven wheels. Wish I'd never gotten rid of my old belt driven Logitech wheel.

I'm hoping they've at least improved upon those things as I'm likely to get a Logitech wheel for FH5. I'm still on the fence about getting one, but I'm increasingly leaning toward getting one to only use in FH5 (and possible future FH games).

Regards,
SB

The new Fanatec is cool for Gran Turismo because the four color-coded directional pads are essentially shortcuts to various settings like TCS, brake balance, fuel savings, and I think AWD balance (IIRC from SuperGT’s okay review). Is it $700, available in March cool? FYI, apparently the $150 “kit” they sell to upgrade the base from 5Nm to 8Nm is a standard PSU, so you can save some $ by buying that separately (according to YT comments in SuperGT’s video).

The new Fanatec is cool for Gran Turismo because the four color-coded directional pads are essentially shortcuts to various settings like TCS, brake balance, fuel savings, and I think AWD balance (IIRC from SuperGT’s okay review). Is it $700, available in March cool? FYI, apparently the $150 “kit” they sell to upgrade the base from 5Nm to 8Nm is a standard PSU, so you can save some $ by buying that separately (according to YT comments in SuperGT’s video).
but separatly cost also 150$ ;)

wait until playground fixed the disconnection issue with logitech wheels.

That's been fixed in the last update. To verify, Jericho (Twitch Streamer) played a long session of FH5 after the update and he didn't experience any disconnects for the whole session, nor did he have to fudge around to get his G923 working in the first place like he did before.

Regards,
SB

but separatly cost also 150$ ;)
Ah. Those same YT comments said it was like half price. That’s what I get for trusting the internet. ;)

Amazon has some laptop 180W PSUs for like $50, but I don’t know if they’re the right output voltage or where to get an adapter to connect to the wheel base.

Fanatec also says using another PSU will void the warranty. https://fanatec.com/us-en/accessories/wheel-base-accessories/boost-kit-180-8nm

Ermin H’s review is the only other one I (half) saw. His review was PC only, unlike SuperGT’s PS5 focus (with a PS4 game). He went into the Fanatec control panel and recommended some settings. He also started the review with the base clamped to a rickety computer table and moved onto installing it in his fancy sim rig.

Last edited:
Back