Console Steering Wheel peripherals [2021]

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Finally got a wheel
T150 pro.

What surprises me
  • For gran turismo sport it's AMAZING. But for other games (drive club, drive club vr) it feels really really weird
  • Gran turismo sport in VR with wheel is really really good. Way better feeling than in non vr mode. Unfortunately the AI is really dumb in VR mode.
  • Dirt rally in VR with wheel is way too immersive. Making me remember when I was in a remote place with dirt Rocky road. Way too nauseating to me tho
Hopefully forza horizon 5 will feel good with wheel... Drive club feels really weird.

Finally got a wheel
T150 pro.

What surprises me
  • For gran turismo sport it's AMAZING. But for other games (drive club, drive club vr) it feels really really weird
  • Gran turismo sport in VR with wheel is really really good. Way better feeling than in non vr mode. Unfortunately the AI is really dumb in VR mode.
  • Dirt rally in VR with wheel is way too immersive. Making me remember when I was in a remote place with dirt Rocky road. Way too nauseating to me tho
Hopefully forza horizon 5 will feel good with wheel... Drive club feels really weird.
Gt sport is simcade so it should have proper wheel support (tough for example fm7 is also and apprently have terrible), driveclub is arcade and such a games are more suited for pads, fh5 will be also probably better on pad

With console racing games that have been ported to the p.c you can tell they've been developed for a pad and very little effort has been put into wheel support
the games just feel "off" eg: the crew
Worst offender is need for speed rivals, who develops a racing game that doesn't support steering wheels

Last edited:
Finally got a wheel
T150 pro.

What surprises me
The problem you have is, that you tried to play arcade-racers with the wheel. Driveclub is a plain arcade racer without any realism. I tried it with Forza 7 and a wheel worked well when you set the controls to simulation. Same for Forza Horizon 4 but there the 60fps Mode is the way to go. But on the other hand FH4 is also a bit to "fast" in the gameplay to really use a steering wheel. It was, much, much easier to use just a controller.
Where the wheel was really great was (my son bought this) "Bus Simulator".

In the end, I am a bit underwhelmed by the wheel (logitech g920). Overall it is a nice addition from time to time, but not really my thing for long sessions.

With console racing games that have been ported to the p.c you can tell they've been developed for a pad and very little effort has been put into wheel support
the games just feel "off" eg: the crew
Worst offender is need for speed rivals, who develops a racing game that doesn't support steering wheels
This is again an arcade racer. To really use wheels in a game you need some kind of realism. Else the wheel is not really better than the Wiis plastic "wheel" where you put in the controller.

But not having any wheel support at all is just ridiculous arcade or not, every other need for speed game up to that point (19 on p.c) supported wheels
And I cant actually think of another p.c racing game that doesnt work with a wheel (I'm sure one exists somewhere)

But on the other hand FH4 is also a bit to "fast" in the gameplay to really use a steering wheel.
Analog sticks have a 180 degree range of motion in the y axis. Your wheel is at least 900 change the degrees of rotation to 180 or less

Overall it is a nice addition from time to time, but not really my thing for long sessions.
Have you tried it with a proper simulation ?

Last edited:
So, not that I will actually get a steering wheel for FH5, but I looked at what was available just out of curiosity and Logitech's offerings are a bit weird.

All of these have a 399 USD MSRP although the G920 and G29 appear to have been discounted recently.

The G920 and G29 have already been mentioned with the only difference mechanically being that the G920 has fewer buttons. Someone speculated that this was due to Xinput limitations.

However, the G923 also has a 399 USD MSRP and appears to be the replacement for both the G920 and G29 as it has both a PS5 and Xbox version.

This one has identical layouts other than the share and option buttons on the PS version. Certainly much better than the differences between the G920 and G29 where the G920 was also missing the selection dial, enter button and +/- buttons.

Although I do find it strange that the wheel has less buttons than the Xbox controller.

I'm also not sure why Xinput would be a limitation considering any button can be remapped as keyboard keys. So a Windows Xinput steering wheel can have any number of buttons, they'd just have to have some buttons mapped as keyboard keys as appears to be happening with the G923 for both the Xbox and PS versions.

Maybe if I get addicted to FH5, I'll consider buying one but I'm not sure it's worth it just for one game even if I end up playing it a lot.

Maybe I should just look at cheap non-force feedback wheels...

Regards,
SB

All of these have a 399 USD MSRP although the G920 and G29 appear to have been discounted recently.

I was never in the market for a wheel because I'm massively burned out on racing games, but I had no idea these things cost as much as a console. Yikes.

Maybe I should just look at cheap non-force feedback wheels..
NO,NO,NO
Seriously you are doing yourself a major disservice if you dont get a FF wheel
look at Thrustmaster T150 £170 or TMX £190

but I had no idea these things cost as much as a console.
Oh, you have no idea - you could buy a car for less
£19k without monitors or wheel and pedals
I was seriously contemplating getting a much cheaper version (£2.5k) for use with VR but I dont really have the room

Maybe if I get addicted to FH5, I'll consider buying one but I'm not sure it's worth it just for one game even if I end up playing it a lot.
after watching streamer I trust I can say not worth to buy wheel for fh5, bad force feedback implementation, it is drivable but far from being good, as expected its pad game (not to mention for now fanatec csl elite make game crash on pc ;d)

I was never in the market for a wheel because I'm massively burned out on racing games, but I had no idea these things cost as much as a console. Yikes.

Yes they are ridiculously expensive.

"budget" wheels like Thrustmaster t150 rs Pro and logitech g29 are almost the same price as XSS in my country.

To make things worse, those are not cross console.

after watching streamer I trust I can say not worth to buy wheel for fh5, bad force feedback implementation, it is drivable but far from being good, as expected its pad game (not to mention for now fanatec csl elite make game crash on pc ;d)

Yea it's far from what on gt sport and dirt rally.

Better than drive club tho!

so what is a cheap and effective wheel for PS5? Any thoughts? I could reuse my current stand, just swap the wheel, it's annoying but it'll work.

so what is a cheap and effective wheel for PS5? Any thoughts? I could reuse my current stand, just swap the wheel, it's annoying but it'll work.
The Thrustmaster equivalent of the G29 is the T150 (aka TMX for Xbox). It’s belt and gears instead of just gears, so presumably a slightly different feel (supposedly quieter?). I have the T150 and it’s okay. It doesn’t feel great near the center or with small changes of direction, probably because of the slop inherent in any cheap gears. It’s not bad as the T150 Pro with the better three-pedal set (T3PA) for US$250. It may have hit closer to $200 during the pre-pandemic holidays.

Otherwise the G29 for $244 or G29 with a shifter for $300 may be okay.

Both the Thrustmaster T248 and Logitech G923 are new wheels for $400 that may be based on the old tech.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Thrustmaster equivalent of the G29 is the T150 (aka TMX for Xbox). It’s belt and gears instead of just gears, so presumably a slightly different feel (supposedly quieter?). I have the T150 and it’s okay. It doesn’t feel great near the center or with small changes of direction, probably because of the slop inherent in any cheap gears. It’s not bad as the T150 Pro with the better three-pedal set (T3PA) for US$250. It may have hit closer to $200 during the pre-pandemic holidays.

Otherwise the G29 for $244 or G29 with a shifter for $300 may be okay.

Both the Thrustmaster T248 and Logitech G923 are new wheels for $400 that may be based on the old tech.
Yup, that's what I have for my Xbox right now, a Thrustmaster TMX. Hmm... my wife will kill me if I'm not sim driving all the time. The thing with GT, that I like, is that it really focuses you on trying to drive better. Forza is really just like, here you go big boy, take whatever super car you want. It makes for a dive in experience, but there is a part about learning to drive better that Forza doesn't really try to assist you with via training. And online play feels like bumper cars. It's really dirty on F7

Yup, that's what I have for my Xbox right now, a Thrustmaster TMX. Hmm... my wife will kill me if I'm not sim driving all the time. The thing with GT, that I like, is that it really focuses you on trying to drive better. Forza is really just like, here you go big boy, take whatever super car you want. It makes for a dive in experience, but there is a part about learning to drive better that Forza doesn't really try to assist you with via training. And online play feels like bumper cars. It's really dirty on F7
Hmmm, maybe try this adapter? https://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3050

Yup. Basically it's why MS has 2 different driving IPs.

Forza Motorsport for simulation driving (competition to Gran Turismo). Although you can enable some driving assists in game to get a slightly more arcadey experience which is still simulation based.

Forza Horizon for arcade style driving with more forgivable driving mechanics. Although you can turn most of the assists off to get a more simulation like experience (but it's still a bit arcadey).

Regards,
SB

Yup. Basically it's why MS has 2 different driving IPs.

Forza Motorsport for simulation driving (competition to Gran Turismo). Although you can enable some driving assists in game to get a slightly more arcadey experience which is still simulation based.

Forza Horizon for arcade style driving with more forgivable driving mechanics. Although you can turn most of the assists off to get a more simulation like experience (but it's still a bit arcadey).

Regards,
SB

the confusing thing is that FH harder to play with a steering wheel despite it should be easier. At least when compared to "simulation" games like GT and Dirt rally.

I have not tried F with a steering wheel.

Back