(Console) gaming cribs? - no 56k!

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
This thread got me thinking about starting up another one of these threads.. I think the last one was over two years ago?

Here's mine! Dell W2300 LCD serving as a computer monitor, TV, and gaming screen, with an Athlon XP/FFDShow box in the the Ahanix case and wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse. Still using the Creative Inspire 5700 5.1 DD/DTS system.. but hey, if it ain't broken... I've got my PS2 hooked up with component cables too.

* I no longer own an Xbox, but when I did it was hooked up via an HD pack too.

setup24nd.jpg

setup31qb.jpg

setup78or.jpg

setup93ro.jpg

setup106bo.jpg

Fox5 said:
In that last picture why is there widescreen on the widescreen?

Well, for one my screen is 16:10, not 16:9 (hardly a difference), and secondly DVDs/movies are usually in wierd aspect ratios that still produce black bars - you can stretch it, but it usually distorts the picture too much. The MGS3, Apprentice and Gundam Seed Destiny shots are 4:3 stetched to 16:10 though.

Man, I wouldn't be able to put up with a screen that small at the distance you're sitting from it. Nice and clean setup though.

Here's mine right after I got a new TV stand for X-Mas:

dknewtvstand0lx.jpg

DeathKnight said:
Man, I wouldn't be able to put up with a screen that small at the distance you're sitting from it. Nice and clean setup though.

Here's mine right after I got a new TV stand for X-Mas:

Nice, but busy :p

23 inches is alright, its what I could afford at the time close to a year ago, but 26 or 30 would be ideal. To compensate, I've actually moved the screen and sideboard forward a foot or so from the wall, so it actually looks quite a bit larger than it actually is :)

What kind of TV is that? It looks like a Samsung CRT, but is it 480p/1080i?

It's the Samsung TXN2745FP (version that could have 1080i unlocked in the service menu). In that picture I'm watching the Nova special about diamonds on PBS HD (OTA through the Samsung SIR-T451).

Fox5 said:
In that last picture why is there widescreen on the widescreen?

To be precise, some movies are shot at a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Widescreen TV's/monitors are usually 16:9(1.78:1), but a few are 16:10(1.60:1) like the one pictured. When that happens the movie still has black bars.

I don't know really. Even 15-17" "fullscreen" LCD PC monitors are usually 1280x1024 which is 5:4 instead of 4:3. I really don't get why they don't make them standard ratios.

Having TV with 16:10 is about subtitles.
at least here in analog tv most of foreign programs are subtitled so that it uses 16:10 space instead of 16:9. This way the subtitles occupy less real image and take only slight slice out of black bars.

again, is this good thing, depends your opinion. others like, because the text don't take so much the moving image space and others do not like it, because in older 16:9 TVs there's no 16:10 option and they don't see text completely.

and the 1280x1024 and 5:4 has been discussed already several times on different topics. use my nick and "XGA" as search key and you should find quite long post about original XGA standard resolutions.

EDIT: the link to post mentioned above: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=59148&highlight=xga#59148

Alstrong said:
what's the reason behind 16:10?

I thought it had something to do with stretching 4:3 images - in my experience atleast, 4:3 stretched to 16:10 provides less distortion than stretching to 16:9. Native 16:9 on 16:10 screens produces ever so slight black bars which really aren't that noticeable.

Native res on my screen is 1280x768, vs 1280x720 for 16:9, so it's a 48 pixel difference.

zurich said:
Native res on my screen is 1280x768, vs 1280x720 for 16:9, so it's a 48 pixel difference.
Actually, it's a 61 440 pixels difference.[/nitpicking]

:D

Back