Logitech G700 Mouse Review

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Bought it today and have been fiddling around with it a little. First impressions:

Comfortable to hold; good shape for the hand. Thumb grip very good. Not as comfortable to lift, due to right side sloping a bit too much and not offering any natural grip other than a rough plastic surface. To lift it securely, you need to squeeze the mouse with your fingers and thumb, so the thumb grip does most of the lifting. Feels a bit awkward due to the relatively high weight of mouse (especially with the cord attached), but I guess it's something you'll get used to after a while.

The buttons feel sufficiently stiff so you don't click 'em by mistake but not so hard they become unresponsive; particulary the middle mouse button on this unit is much easier to click than on my previous G9, which had a terrible middle mouse button. The wheel itself is also very VERY precise; as previous Logitech high-end mice it's made of metal, and offers free-wheeling action or discrete steps. In "stepper" mode the wheel feels just gr8. Each step is well-defined, distinct and sharp, making it literally a snap to flip between weapons, items or just scrolling a couple lines down a web page. The toggle switch for the wheel is now located on top of the mouse, making it easier for people who like to change modes depending on the situation.

The (most likely teflon, or perhaps polypropylene) feet are excellent. The mouse slides very easily on my Func Surface plastic mouse pad, and the laser sensor seems to track well too. Three of the four G buttons on top of the mouse are quite easy to reach, and you easily distinguish between them just from touch alone. The four G buttons on the side are just a little more cumbersome. The two at the front are big and easy to use for my hands, and the two smaller at the back are too small - even though they're actually LARGER than the front buttons, due to being set a little too far back. You might need to adjust your personal play style to fit, or re-jig your button settings until things feel comfortable. Still, I find having these extra buttons a big plus, and quite convenient. ...If only the software had been a bit better. Ah well. *sigh*

As good as the hardware is (for the most part), software-wise it's a bit of the same fucking mess as usual with Logitech. It's always been their achilles heel. The driver install package is a 25 friggin' MB download (wth! It's a MOUSE, not a nuclear reactor!), and it installs two separate programs, one to change nothing except a few very basic settings and another to configure the buttons and define macros. These two could EASILY have been baked into one and the same app just to keep things simpler and tidier, and to stop having TWO extra icons down in the systray. Oh, and WHY is the mouse software taking up more disk space than an entire windows 3.x OS install? Jeez!

The profiles/button mapping interface is functional, but not terribly intuitive or comfortable to use. To set mouse button functions you can't select a button to change by clicking it in the image of your mouse, you have to find it in the list view on the side and then pick a function out of a mile-long combo box. To assign games to individual profiles you end up in the Program Files folder every time - which for me isn't where I have my games installed (60GB SSD doesn't hold too much these days, blah lol); now this isn't a big problem for me really because I only tried this feature out with WoW and the two L4Ds, but it's a few extra button presses per game for those like me with non-standard install paths and a lot of games.

The mouse itself 'only' stores 5 profiles at any one time (for example if you're going over to a mate's house or something and want to bring your imba gaming mouse with its pre-set button presses with you - errr... No, I don't really understand what this feature's all about either!), but the software apparantly handles a lot more - thirty. I don't see a need for that many, I just made a couple to see how the process works. Again, not the most intuitive interface, but it is functional. Profiles can even control stuff like pointer polling rate, speed or acceleration, DPI settings (1 or up to 5 levels, selectable from the mouse if you dedicate one of the onboard buttons for it) and things like that.

If you don't have the 25MB driver package installed you obviously can't make the mouse switch profile automatically depending on which software you launch, so to switch profile manually, you need to set aside one of the 11 buttons for that task. It's up to you which one that is however, which is pretty cool (default is the G11 button, right below the scroll wheel and its toggle switch). It's also up to you which button - if any - should show battery level.

I made a WoW profile saved to the mouse and defined buttons G8-G10 to keyboard presses I always set aside for things like potions and racial abilities on my characters. Then I unplugged the mouse and stuck its cord into my other PC which did not have the driver installed, booted up WoW - making sure the correct profile was active in the mouse - and lo and behold. My Draenei cast Lifeblood and Gift of the Naaru on himself when I told him to. The profiles really do work independenty of the driver! As long as you don't need more than 5 at any one time that is. ;)

Random quirk: the button mapping software seems incapable of differentiating between alphanumeric keypad button presses and their corresponding standard keyboard button presses. This is IMO a big deficiency, that Logitech should fix ASAP on a gaming mouse, as it prevents you from binding actions specicfically to the keypad buttons - something I use in lots of games, FPSes in particular as I can't play with the industry standard WASD layout, I use the arrow keys instead.

I haven't tested the wireless feature much yet, but web reviews I've peeked at say it's working fine. Since you need the USB cord to recharge the damn thing you must set aside two USB slots for this mouse; one for the receiver hardware, and another for the cord, unless you want to keep exchanging the two. I only got a single USB slot left now in my PC, so I stuck the tiny receiver dongle in one of the USB hub connectors of my Logitech G15 keyboard. I haven't tried gaming yet in wireless mode, but I can't see ANY lag whatsoever despite the wireless connection and the USB data going through a keyboard hub; the pointer appears immediately responsive to my (very fallible) human eye. Considering I used to game on Bluetooth mice years ago with their incredibly obvious lag, I deem any lag that might be present here to be so tiny as to be completely insignificant.

Overall:
Nice mouse. Slightly blemished by somewhat cumbersome and unintuitive software (which DOES work however without throwing up errors or crashing...), and a few design details which could have been better, like the not-entirely-optimal shape for lifting, and the too-small rear thumb G-buttons, but those are minor complaints. Oh, and the price is damn high too, but it IS a very nice solid mouse. If the hardware features appeal to you and you enjoy gaming and macros and tweaking things out and stuff, then this is an excellent product for you. Even just for gaming and never using the macros at all this is a good mouse. It's got most everything one could wish for from a PC rodent, and much higher build quality than 90% of the market, easily.

Great review Grall, I hadn't heard of this mouse before you posted up about it. :oops:

Sounds like it might be a worthy successor finally to the Revo, what mice did you used to have that you could compare it to?

Almost got one of these when they came out a few months ago. However, it uses a standard optical mouse laser rather than the Darkfield tech in the Performance MX. Hoping there'll be a future revision using the Darkfield tech.

Regards,
SB

Digi, I used the Logitech G9, which for the most part is a really nice mouse also. It has the most awesome thumb buttons, and the only thing that really mars it is the too-stiff middle (wheel) button. The exchangable shells on the G9 also have a slight tendency to wiggle slightly from side to side when it sits clasped to the mouse frame, if you're paranoid about your aiming precision you might lose a pixel here or there due to this. The G700 drops the removable shells for a standard unibody design, so there this won't be an issue period...

The driver install package is a 25 friggin' MB download (

Wow my logitech steering wheel software (which also supports my gamepad and joystick) is only 13mb

as I can't play with the industry standard WASD layout, I use the arrow keys instead.
(I cant use WASD, have to use WSQE)
You should get yourself a zboard merc (all the keys are programmable too)

pps: g700 £89 f*** me

I paid about £83/US$129, using the un-favorable exchange "buy" rate at the bank. The real one should be somewhere inbetween buy/sell, so these prices are slightly inflated but I can't be arsed trying to look it up... ;)

I used to use one of these

Stopped using it because I would allways forget to put the mouse in the dock to recharge
on the plus side i could use the bluetooth to connect my phone
ps:
Hard Drive Space
45 MB free (Install 100 MB)
edit: brainwave if someone made a mousemat with magnets embedded the movement of the mouse would create a current recharging the mouse

pps: Just realised you could of bought a logitech momo for less (prepares to beat Grall to within an inch of his life)

Don't want a fucking steering wheel. What a giant, useless chunk of plastic! :p Only driving game I play is Paradise City on PS3, and even that has only been a handful of times in the last year. Literally no more than I can count using fingers of one hand.

I turned my PC off last night, battery was at "good", two dots. Mouse seemed to shut off along with the system; would not respond to button presses. Came back this morning, 8-ish hours of sleep later, battery is now one dot, "low". So either it's just the battery which still needs further conditioning before it reaches full capacity, or the mouse isn't really as OFF as you might think it is, unless the mechanical toggle switch is used on the rear... My other wireless Logitech mouse (one of those small notebook type things) can run for weeks at the very least, if not months, just sitting on the desk if you forget it turned on, this one not so much it appears. Further testing needed. :)

I was originally going to buy the Rat, but it wasn't in stock at the suppliers the PC dealer I shop at uses so they hadn't any to sell me... :p The G700 however was available (and it has more buttons too), so I bought that instead.

Ooooh, very through review, thanks!

I'm a G9 devotee (bought 2 of these just for TF2 and Audiosurf) especially because of the claw grip possible when using the thinner shell. Is it still the same for the G700, or is this more of a palm-gamer thing?

Used a G5/MX510 at a friend's, didn't like the clicking mechanism (too slow for Audiosurf) too much either. Has it changed with the 700?

Is it still the same for the G700, or is this more of a palm-gamer thing?
You know, that's just impossible to say, not having your hands attached to my arms, lol! I can just say that I always mouse by shifting the unit around with my fingers, I don't rest my palm on it and wriggle my wrist; that's likely what has prevented me from contracting carpal tunnel syndrome from heavy mousing over the course of over 23 years of computer use.

A fingertip grip (I suppose that's what you mean by "claw" grip) is absolutely possible with the G700. It's a bit more comfortable to lift the G9 by using the rough clamshell attached (never used the smooth one), due to the somewhat high weight of the G700 as I mentioned, but one can always remove the fairly hefty NiMH battery and run it as a standard corded mouse. That would make it lighter, and would cut power use as well - slightly...

Used a G5/MX510 at a friend's, didn't like the clicking mechanism (too slow for Audiosurf) too much either. Has it changed with the 700?
You mean standard left/right clicks? Can't remember what the G510 felt like, as I recall weren't buttons fairly flimsy and easily misclicked on that one? G9 buttons may be a little softer as well than the G700, but it's so hard to tell. Button resistance surely varies with the age of the mouse, possibly from production runs, even individual units due to variations in component tolerance etc...

The buttons are good both for gaming and general use, IMO. Not sure how it would work for Audiosurf, as I haven't ever played that game. Seems strange to base your mouse purchases on one single entertainment title though... ;)

Btw, just put the mouse cord in to charge it up again - mouse ran for three days on "low" battery status, but never showed any visible warning. Didn't blink any red LEDs (which it has three of), didn't put up any on-screen messages. Weird. It just started lagging oddly and then died a few seconds later while I was doing some random web browsing.

Oh well. At least I didn't get gibbed and lose a world championship because the battery ran out. :)

Btw, just put the mouse cord in to charge it up again - mouse ran for three days on "low" battery status, but never showed any visible warning. Didn't blink any red LEDs (which it has three of), didn't put up any on-screen messages. Weird. It just started lagging oddly and then died a few seconds later while I was doing some random web browsing.

Oh well. At least I didn't get gibbed and lose a world championship because the battery ran out. :)

Normally the task tray icon should pop up a notification that the battery is getting low, but it doesn't appear to do it as much with the newer setpoint drivers. I've also noticed that when battery level starts to get low (at least on the Performance MX) that the LED's on the mouse itself are disabled entirely (probably to save battery power). On my older Revolution mice, it used to always show the power level when the mouse was in use. The Performance MX though was confusing me as it doesn't always display battery level with the LEDs. Again probably to save battery power.

On the one hand I like that it lasts far longer in continous use than the older Revolution MX, but I wish it would always display the battery level. :p It's easy enough now to just hover over the setpoint icon in the task tray though. Had to train myself to do that.

Regards,
SB

All hovering the Setpoint icon does for me is display a tooltip with the text "Logitech SetPoint" in it, and nothing whatsoever about the battery, regardless of if it's charging, running corded, cordless... Nothing.

I'd prefer if the icon instead of an ugly logitech squiggle (which reminds me of a green bird dropping) was the traditional stylized image of a battery which displayed an at-a-glance graphic of the battery's status. Would be much better.

Also, the mouse really should flash a red LED at least occasionally when the battery starts to become critical. It's what you expect it to do after all and then it refuses. Very odd.

All hovering the Setpoint icon does for me is display a tooltip with the text "Logitech SetPoint" in it, and nothing whatsoever about the battery, regardless of if it's charging, running corded, cordless... Nothing.

I'd prefer if the icon instead of an ugly logitech squiggle (which reminds me of a green bird dropping) was the traditional stylized image of a battery which displayed an at-a-glance graphic of the battery's status. Would be much better.

Also, the mouse really should flash a red LED at least occasionally when the battery starts to become critical. It's what you expect it to do after all and then it refuses. Very odd.

Odd, I wonder if yours uses a special version of the setpoint software. Mine shows the battery status of all connected Logitech wireless devices (mice and keyboard). As well things like caps lock, numlock, etc. As well my task tray icon isn't a squiggle, it's actually the right edge of a keyboard and mouse.

Regards,
SB

Back