Compare and contrast XBox One and PlayStation 4 from the user perspective

Can someone tell me which controller they prefer?

At first I did not like the X1 controller, it was different. Then I started to use it and I find it better, my hands have not hurt any so that is good. DS4 my hands hurt, so that is bad and upsetting for me. :( Edit: I was hoping it would not be the case, if my hands hurt I end up just letting that system collect dust. So I am hopeful for the 3rd party makers here.

2nd Edit: The gamestop guys are on to me, they know I have gone digital and they were worried about this. haha

The PS4 system update to 1.51 took a couple hours which was surprising since it was relatively small (323MB I think). How long did it take to download XB1 system update and how large was the file?

From time of first power on through Day One update to dashboard was around 10-15 minutes total. I think the update was relatively small (560 - 860 megs range). The download portion was maybe 1.5 minutes total. I did the update around 11:30 pm EST Friday night.

Which state and city if I may ask ?

PM sent, I have no way of knowing what speeds are now bc I have everything and I don't use the PS4 presently for Netflix or any other streaming service. On a related note, has one tried Netflix or Amazon on PS4? I read online that it has an updated UI? How are they?

That is good news for you all, it took me literally days to download the PS+ and F2P games available at launch on PS4. The PS4 system update to 1.51 took a couple hours which was surprising since it was relatively small (323MB I think). How long did it take to download XB1 system update and how large was the file?

We downloaded the update in ~2 minutes yesterday afternoon when we setup my friend's XO. He's also getting exactly the speeds he expects to get for his cable internet connection. At no time has it been slow for him.

Regards,
SB

Some features I understand are harder to implement. But some omissions or implementations are pretty mind boggling.

You prioritize features and apply the resources you have, changes or in anticipated issues in almost any area, affect what you can ship, often in unrelated areas.
You have to prioritize what you can't fix after launch, or after any game depends on it.

Took me less than 10 minutes to download the 565MB update.

Same, about 5 minutes on my 50Mbit connection. Completely downloading Forza 5 took well over 5 hours though, but was playable in about 3-5 minutes. The game will tell you when you are trying to access content that isn't ready yet. Microsoft's CDNs seem to be only so-so speed wise for downloading games. I think when you do the math, my download used only 15Mb/sec out of a possible 50. Maybe it's because there were a ton of people online both grabbing the patch and getting a game but I hope it goes faster in the future...

Live has been very fast and responsive for me. I don't expect the service to have any scaling issues over the holidays.

The UI, which seems to rely on Server data is very quick also.

I was gonna mention that nba2k14 would be my next purchase. it looks broadcast quality from a couch.

I prefer the ds4 controller to the Xbox one controller. its more comfortable and balanced better. it also seems to have greater utility overall with the clickable touchpad. I still have to learn the x1 UI. the UI on x1 is visually more logical, but harder to navigate jmo.

So far I've seen the One win game startup fairly consistently by about 6 seconds. It's possible it loads things into the OS that games use that are separate loads on the PS4, but it could also be a HDD cache difference? Haven't looked at the details.

Cold start is really slow on the One and has been measured over 60 secs everywhere. The PS4 boot from standby varies by whether something is active it seems, meaning it isn't really in standby I believe when it takes just 3 secs, but who knows, there may have been some firmware tweaks.

So far I've seen the One win game startup fairly consistently by about 6 seconds. It's possible it loads things into the OS that games use that are separate loads on the PS4, but it could also be a HDD cache difference? Haven't looked at the details.

Cold start is really slow on the One and has been measured over 60 secs everywhere. The PS4 boot from standby varies by whether something is active it seems, meaning it isn't really in standby I believe when it takes just 3 secs, but who knows, there may have been some firmware tweaks.

3 seconds is about right for standby (sleep mode, memory remains powered and doesn't go through a full hardware boot when waking up), for PCs at least. Which is why I think they are doing hibernate (write memory to disk, everything powered down and requires a hardware boot when waking up) for their non-active downloads standby mode.

That would explain why their non-active download standby mode uses such little power compared to the competition or their active download standby mode.

Regards,
SB

You prioritize features and apply the resources you have, changes or in anticipated issues in almost any area, affect what you can ship, often in unrelated areas.
You have to prioritize what you can't fix after launch, or after any game depends on it.

I understand what you are saying but this could be partly irrelevant if some of these omissions are a result of wrong prioritization, wrong management, staff not being up to the task to get some things right or ready, bad programming or so many other reasons that may have contributed. There is no company that is free from error in execution or decision making. Of course we cant quantify the extend of errors or observe the actual reasons behind each omission or error.

I understand what you are saying but this could be partly irrelevant if some of these omissions are a result of wrong prioritization, wrong management, staff not being up to the task to get some things right or ready, bad programming or so many other reasons that may have contributed. There is no company that is free from error in execution or decision making. Of course we cant quantify the extend of errors or observe the actual reasons behind each omission or error.

I imagine given the limited time with the hardware, the exotic nature of the hardware and software and the "race to space" everytime a console launches. You have a nice mix of variables that are bound to cause issues.

Below I provide some

XBOX One

Internet browser still not very good

Why do you think that's the case?

Requires an app ti be downloaded even for basic functions
Although, outwardly, this seems "odd", and I even commented on it myself, but overall I don't see this as a negative. For starters, it gives the user the option to decide what they want to install on their system - if you have no Blu-ray's, for instance, why clutter up the harddrive with an unused BRD player?

Benefits of doing such things is that this also easily decouples the OS updates from the embed app updates; if the app needs an update then just download the app, of the OS needs an update then the system update will be smaller and quicker because its not saddled with all the apps.

Although, outwardly, this seems "odd", and I even commented on it myself, but overall I don't see this as a negative. For starters, it gives the user the option to decide what they want to install on their system - if you have no Blu-ray's, for instance, why clutter up the harddrive with an unused BRD player?

Benefits of doing such things is that this also easily decouples the OS updates from the embed app updates; if the app needs an update then just download the app, of the OS needs an update then the system update will be smaller and quicker because its not saddled with all the apps.

That's what I figured. With multiple OS' and an app based model it should give them very good granularity in regards to updates without having to take on a large QA/QC task just for minor updates.

Yes very good points. I think they need to work on noise cancellation and voice graphing a bit. The Kinect doesn't like ambient noise at all... I always wish that when the headphones are connected, the Kinect will defer to the headphone mic over the Kinect mic. It would really improve the experience dramatically and lower the level of effort for Kinect to hear you.

Does anyone have the PS4 camera for some comparisons?

For the Blu-ray app it makes sense, I presume they would do that so they don't pay blu-ray related licensing fees unless you install the app. For the rest could it be anti-trust related? Microsoft got into big trouble for that in the past, maybe they don't pre-install apps now for that reason, to avoid various forms of litigation.

Back