Compare and contrast XBox One and PlayStation 4 from the user perspective

They need to have a stable core run-time first. What they have is pretty good. Better than the Vita launch since I haven't encountered any system crash yet. ;-)

The rest can be stacked on top over time.

Yeah...I really scratch my head about the state of both systems...astoundingly incomplete for such supposed to be high level devices.

They really count on the fact that early adopters would buy happily even an empty box, without actual device in it...just a note: electronic device will be available in a future update. Stay tuned and thank you for your support. You are the fuel for our passion.

XB1: Batteries run out, replace them with freshly charged ones and you're still wireless
PS4: Batteries run out, you need to attach a cable to continue to use it no more wireless
Oh dont try to excuse the inexcusable. Normal batteries are an unnecessary cost, a material waste and a burden to the environment. If those batteries were such a convenience and such an efficient solution all CE devices would still be using those and MS wouldnt be selling you the charge pack as the better alternative.

There is mouse keyboard functionality on PS4, as warthunder supports it. 99.9 percent of those features are coming in future patches. I guess they figured it was easier to push out the box at launch and update it constantly

You cant use them to control the UI though. And most importantly the God damn browser.

Oh dont try to excuse the inexcusable. Normal batteries are an unnecessary cost, a material waste and a burden to the environment.

Oh don't try to force everyone to see the world the way you do.

I much prefer standardized battery sizes if the device size and shape accommodates them. If you want to make the argument that ergonomics would be improved were MS to have used a custom pack, please elaborate. But your supposed arguments above are misguided, as high tech rechargeables come in standard sizes too. IMO, MS has offered the far more flexible solution.

Please, please, please, let's not have the same batteries discussions in this thread...

Oh don't try to force everyone to see the world the way you do.

I much prefer standardized battery sizes if the device size and shape accommodates them. If you want to make the argument that ergonomics would be improved were MS to have used a custom pack, please elaborate. But your supposed arguments above are misguided, as high tech rechargeables come in standard sizes too. IMO, MS has offered the far more flexible solution.

I said nothing nor did i imply anything about ergonomics but i ll leave the discussion here

Yeah...I really scratch my head about the state of both systems...astoundingly incomplete for such supposed to be high level devices.

That's because like most forum goers, you think the hard part is the hardware...
Software and services really define the experience and even if you are starting with the BSD kernel, building a polished software product is incredibly hard.
I'm surprised both platforms shipped as complete as they did.

That's because like most forum goers, you think the hard part is the hardware...
Software and services really define the experience and even if you are starting with the BSD kernel, building a polished software product is incredibly hard.
Some features I understand are harder to implement. But some omissions or implementations are pretty mind boggling.

There are a few omissions, bad execution and imperfect implementations from both companies that they should have got right from the beginning. Some are even pretty much standard on CE devices and our last gen consoles.

Below I provide some

XBOX One

No mouse/keyboard support

HDD not replaceable.

Takes too much time to load a game for the first time. Apparently installation is slow and you cant go in unless 30% is installed?

Voice Controls: This feature is sold as a differentiator and a primary feature. Experience is not consistent across all users and across all features. For some uses its flawless for others its infuriating, Its also the reason why many territories are delayed. This also raises questions if it will finally be worth it all the hassle because its hard to implement voice commands perfectly for all languages and so many accents. For such a product you cant afford to delay a release without taking into consideration the market peculiarities and that the product may still not offer consistency across all users. In addition commands are sometimes not very intuitive and explanatory.

No Dolby Surround from day one

No 3D BR compatibility.

DLNA support appears to be limited compared to previous consoles

No Bluetooth support

Requires an app ti be downloaded even for basic functions

IR Blaster doesnt offer a consistent experience. Implementation sometimes works sometimes it doesnt work as it should, sometimes it doesnt communicate with some models

One of Eurogamer's comments caught my eye: So voice control becomes the default input interface. On the one hand this is great, because it works. On the other hand, though, it's not so great, because the main reason you're driven towards voice input is the counter-intuitive design of the user interface

Considering this is an AIO console that expects you to use it to control all your devices, it doesnt completely negate the use of the remote control when you need to use a DVR feature from your set top box. HDMI in doesnt completely solve the problem

Watching TV solution provided doesnt work for everyone. In some EU territories it also appears that the feature doesnt work with some of the largest satellite providers. Yet

Internet browser still not very good

They still insist on having to pay through a paywall to access basic features or to be able to access a service that also requires subscription

Game recording limited to 30 seconds at launch.

There are a few reports about apps/games crashing or slowing down the console when snapping too many stuff

Not all apps support snap yet?

I believe the XB1 doesnt let you use external storage devices to transfer your media on? Need confirmation on that

All your saves are saved on the cloud I have heard. But what happens when there is something wrong with my internet connection in a specific perio. Will I not be able to save?

Controllers still require normal batteries

PLAYSTATION 4

There is a trackpad. That should have been implement day one for use on the UI. Especially the browser. Why on earth couldnt they implement such a basic feature? Its there. Its screaming "use me". And its one of the features unique for the PS4.

No mouse/keyboard support.

Standard media features not supported from day one: CDs, MP3's dont play. And if I am not mistaken neither is DLNA. Why?

No 3D BR movies from day one. Why?

Cant connect external HDD to save games on

Not much in terms of UI personalization

Suspending/Resuming games I believe is not still implemented?

Very limited apps for media. Atrocious.

Internet browser still not very good

Camera features extremely limited, support appears abysmal and almost nothing was shown to convince of its capabilities

No Youtube support for game video uploads

You cant save your Game video anywhere else!

No video conferencing supported yet?

Cant turn off light bar on the controller

You still cant jump into a friend's game

The USB holes are compressed between the upper and lower plates of the console and if your USB device comes with a thick casing it wont fit

I am sure there are more that I cant think of right now
DLNA has been working fine for me so far, I wonder what do you mean by limited. I should try and test some more formats but the little I fiddled with it it worked as the Xbox 360 if not better -it has its own utility for DLNA-.

Agreed on the interface, some aspects are amazing, others aren't as straightforward as they were on the Xbox 360.

Say Messages. I Love how they are presented now. Friends is also fine when you see what they have been doing and stuff, BUT going to your friends list is not as straightforward as it was on the Xbox 360.

I miss the Xbox 360 dashboard guide, but I can live without it. (active download for instance, are easy to find, until you know what to do, if you don't there seemed to be nothing telling you about them)

DLNA has been working fine for me so far, I wonder what do you mean by limited. I should try and test some more formats but the little I fiddled with it it worked as the Xbox 360 if not better -it has its own utility for DLNA-.

So are you saying that you have a System Video Player like on Xbox 360 where you can go watch content that's streaming from a DLNA server on your network? That's how I use PlayOn on my 360. I'm not talking about using a "Play To" command from your PC or mobile device.

Tommy McClain

:cool:. Yes I am amazed MS pulled this UI together as ambitious as it is and as short a time they have had with hardware

We know from experience that it will only get more robust and feature rich over time

Curious for some feedback on how LIVE is holding up. Last week PSN was slow and that is being kind, what sort of download speeds are you seeing with the XB1?

Xbox Live seems as fast as it's ever been for me. No slowdowns at all.

I'll put it to a more extensive test tomorrow when I figure out which DD 50GB game I want to buy first.

Xbox Live seems as fast as it's ever been for me. No slowdowns at all.

I'll put it to a more extensive test tomorrow when I figure out which DD 50GB game I want to buy first.

That is good news for you all, it took me literally days to download the PS+ and F2P games available at launch on PS4. The PS4 system update to 1.51 took a couple hours which was surprising since it was relatively small (323MB I think). How long did it take to download XB1 system update and how large was the file?

Back