Compare and contrast XBox One and PlayStation 4 from the user perspective

You make it sound like the PS4 is noisy. Sure, maybe to you. But I can barely hear my PS4 in a completely silent room from my seating distance (~10ft). If the room isn't completely silent, I can't even hear it. It's significantly quieter than my PS3 slim, which most people didn't seem to have a problem with. The only time that my PS4 is somewhat noisy is when the BD drive is spinning, and even then it's about the same as my PS3 slim. I haven't tried playing a Blu-Ray movie yet.

Sound is highly subjective. 40 db is too loud for me for night time gaming. The noise floor in my gaming/media room at that point is between ~20-25 db. Yes, Libraries are generally quite a bit louder than my media room.

The DF measurements are thus worthless to me. I suspect their noise floor and/or limit of their measurement device was 40 db, thus making the Xbox One appear louder than it probably is.

For other people that might live next to a busy street, game during the day, have noise pollution from other electronics in their house (AC, heater, refridgerator, fan, computers, whatever) then they may not notice a difference between the two.

For example, the 5870 in the follow charts...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7481/the-amd-radeon-r9-290-review/15

Idles at 38.2 db. That is quite noticeable and distracting when watching a movie in my media room. Assuming I haven't cranked up the sound due to not wanting to wake up anyone that might be sleeping in other areas of the house. And yes both the X360 S and PS3 Slim would seem loud in that room if they were in there and powered on.

Then again, it's quite possible that if the Xbox One uses the fan at all during media playback, it might be too loud for my media room for night time movie watching.

Regards,
SB

Looking at the numbers both have the same minimum noise floor...

You can't tell that from the numbers DF provided. The XB1 could have half the noise output of the PS4, or essentially the same, and the numbers would look similar.

My impression is that the noise floor in the testing room is too high, supported by DF's own comments, and others apparently think the same. My speculation is that as the XB1 noise during gaming is essentially unchanged from idle at the seated distance, and both essentially the same as the noise floor, it will be essentially inaudible in all but the most silent rooms. As the PS4 noise did increase notably more "up close" (whatever that means), I wouldn't wager that it stays inaudible during gameplay in many rooms.

The Southpark episode about the console wars during Black Friday was again hilarious !!!

(last night was part 2, Bill Gates killing Ballmer WTF??!!)

Everything is running smoothly on my end. Games look great as well. I just want Sony to implement more UI features. By default, the PS4 should have all the functionality the PS3 did at the end of its lifecycle, and going through my PS3 menu's its a fairly huge amount of tuning they've done over the years.

Organize your files, download media to console and play like MP3's pics and movies, customizable backrounds, custom themes, automatic power on power off timer, USB support, DLNA, the works

I also saw a guy who had both Xbox One and PS4 hooked up, and was comparing Ghosts on both. The difference in resolution got a lot of flack. But it was also clear that the Xbox Live voice chat has improved a lot over the 360, as they have promised I think a little while ago and also used as an explanation of 360 and One not being able to voicechat, and it's a huge step up over the voicechat quality of the PS4.

The host also preferred the Xbox One UI, but indicated that he also really liked Windows 8.

That's just one game though, so who knows what that means. I also noticed in a comparison stream that CoD Ghosts loaded slightly faster from HDD on the One than on the PS4 (but it was a difference of maybe 6 seconds).

I'm guess the the flash in the X1 allows caching for faster loading similar to a SSHD drive?

In sure it is cheap DRAM like the 12GB PS3 and SD cards. The load times are pretty bad according to the live streams. Ryse can take upwords to 90secs when you die.

In sure it is cheap DRAM like the 12GB PS3 and SD cards. The load times are pretty bad according to the live streams. Ryse can take upwords to 90secs when you die.
It's nothing like the SLC in SSHD drives, it's a cheap MLC but it definitely seems to be a fast one, similar to the ones in high-end samsung phones (eMMC 4.5 interface). I don't think it's used like an SSHD at all though, more like system OS and the likes.

There are a few omissions, bad execution and imperfect implementations from both companies that they should have got right from the beginning. Some are even pretty much standard on CE devices and our last gen consoles.

Below I provide some

XBOX One

No mouse/keyboard support

HDD not replaceable.

Takes too much time to load a game for the first time. Apparently installation is slow and you cant go in unless 30% is installed?

Voice Controls: This feature is sold as a differentiator and a primary feature. Experience is not consistent across all users and across all features. For some uses its flawless for others its infuriating, Its also the reason why many territories are delayed. This also raises questions if it will finally be worth it all the hassle because its hard to implement voice commands perfectly for all languages and so many accents. For such a product you cant afford to delay a release without taking into consideration the market peculiarities and that the product may still not offer consistency across all users. In addition commands are sometimes not very intuitive and explanatory.

No Dolby Surround from day one

No 3D BR compatibility.

DLNA support appears to be limited compared to previous consoles

No Bluetooth support

Requires an app ti be downloaded even for basic functions

IR Blaster doesnt offer a consistent experience. Implementation sometimes works sometimes it doesnt work as it should, sometimes it doesnt communicate with some models

One of Eurogamer's comments caught my eye: So voice control becomes the default input interface. On the one hand this is great, because it works. On the other hand, though, it's not so great, because the main reason you're driven towards voice input is the counter-intuitive design of the user interface

Considering this is an AIO console that expects you to use it to control all your devices, it doesnt completely negate the use of the remote control when you need to use a DVR feature from your set top box. HDMI in doesnt completely solve the problem

Watching TV solution provided doesnt work for everyone. In some EU territories it also appears that the feature doesnt work with some of the largest satellite providers. Yet

Internet browser still not very good

They still insist on having to pay through a paywall to access basic features or to be able to access a service that also requires subscription

Game recording limited to 30 seconds at launch.

There are a few reports about apps/games crashing or slowing down the console when snapping too many stuff

Not all apps support snap yet?

I believe the XB1 doesnt let you use external storage devices to transfer your media on? Need confirmation on that

All your saves are saved on the cloud I have heard. But what happens when there is something wrong with my internet connection in a specific perio. Will I not be able to save?

Controllers still require normal batteries

PLAYSTATION 4

There is a trackpad. That should have been implement day one for use on the UI. Especially the browser. Why on earth couldnt they implement such a basic feature? Its there. Its screaming "use me". And its one of the features unique for the PS4.

No mouse/keyboard support.

Standard media features not supported from day one: CDs, MP3's dont play. And if I am not mistaken neither is DLNA. Why?

No 3D BR movies from day one. Why?

Cant connect external HDD to save games on

Not much in terms of UI personalization

Suspending/Resuming games I believe is not still implemented?

Very limited apps for media. Atrocious.

Internet browser still not very good

Camera features extremely limited, support appears abysmal and almost nothing was shown to convince of its capabilities

No Youtube support for game video uploads

You cant save your Game video anywhere else!

No video conferencing supported yet?

Cant turn off light bar on the controller

You still cant jump into a friend's game

The USB holes are compressed between the upper and lower plates of the console and if your USB device comes with a thick casing it wont fit

I am sure there are more that I cant think of right now

Controllers still require normal batteries

XB1: Batteries run out, replace them with freshly charged ones and you're still wireless
PS4: Batteries run out, you need to attach a cable to continue to use it no more wireless

Last edited by a moderator:
PLAYSTATION 4

Very limited apps for media. Atrocious.

It has almost all the PS3 video apps in US. ^_^

But it doesn't play user videos. Most of the whys are due to lack of time.

Game pause/resume works partially. I could jump in and out of games at the last point I left it. But if the game got unloaded (e.g., to load another game, or shut down), then the state is lost.

There is mouse keyboard functionality on PS4, as warthunder supports it. 99.9 percent of those features are coming in future patches. I guess they figured it was easier to push out the box at launch and update it constantly

Back