Compare and contrast XBox One and PlayStation 4 from the user perspective

At first I did not like the X1 controller, it was different. Then I started to use it and I find it better, my hands have not hurt any so that is good. DS4 my hands hurt, so that is bad and upsetting for me. :( Edit: I was hoping it would not be the case, if my hands hurt I end up just letting that system collect dust. So I am hopeful for the 3rd party makers here.

2nd Edit: The gamestop guys are on to me, they know I have gone digital and they were worried about this. haha

Sigh, that's a pity. Controllers are so important, playing GTA5 with a DS3 just constantly reminds me of that.

I think i'll have to go to the gaming store and see if the DS4 is that bad. Otherwise I hope Razer makes a PS4 controller.

I definitely recommend trying it yourself. I've seen many X360 users prefer the DS4 over the X1 controller. Not saying it's definitively better, but it's just a matter of preference.

For me personally, coming from a DS3 user, it took me a while to get used to the DS4. I mean it feels really good in the hands, but using L2/R2 rather than L1/R1 for shooters took some getting used to. I find that I have to hold the DS4 differently from the DS3 now. But after a few hours of BF4, I feel right at home now.

Sigh, that's a pity. Controllers are so important, playing GTA5 with a DS3 just constantly reminds me of that.

I think i'll have to go to the gaming store and see if the DS4 is that bad. Otherwise I hope Razer makes a PS4 controller.

I think the DS4 is much better than the DS3 was, but I do agree, the XB1 controller is the better/more comfortable controller.

Yep!

I have early/mild CTS, so the ds3 for example is around 20-mins before I give up. My vita is around 5-mins, I want to get that controller attachment thing for it.

I think the DS4 is much better than the DS3 was, but I do agree, the XB1 controller is the better/more comfortable controller.

Yeah, I definitely think it would be much better than the DS3.

Jwm having CTS is probably why he can't use it, and since I don't have CTS yet (though a few more 3 hour sessions playing Forza might not help lol) I should be fine.

Has anyone compared the thumbsticks between the two? Which are tighter (ie have more resistance, so you can use higher sensitivities), and if anyone's played BF4/COD:Ghosts on both which pair feels more accurate for shooters?

Can't believe what difference the new rumble triggers make. The controller is now perfect as long as it lasts. The 360 controllers held up well until their thumb sticks would start having a drag.

...regarding third party controllers...

this is what I use to play on my Playstation 3 because I prefer the XBox 360 controller

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V4AK8E/ref=pe_160430_30697430_email_1p_0_ti

I purchased the XBox One because I find the controller so comfortable. I really dislike the Playstation controller.

Unfortunately, I am having a little buyer's remorse right now. Wait, don't get me wrong! The One looks fantastic and I am enjoying it immensely! But as far as that $100 bundled Kinect...well, when I unboxed my system, I hurled the Kinect at my couch and have not bothered to hook it up.

I want to game, not talk to my TV. I knew going in that I was wasting that extra $100 on the Kinect but I was getting clobbered online even with my favorite Microsoft controller--it would be even worse with the Playstation controller.

My slight buyer's remorse comes from comments I'm hearing now about a noticeable difference in graphics/power that some are reporting and the fact that by purchasing the One, I'm kind of supporting Microsoft's Kinect media (not gaming) environment.

To GAMERS with no preference toward either environment, I'm suggesting that they save themselves $100 and get a system that is keeping them top of mind, the Playstation 4.

I think I am the only one who prefers the Dualshocks over the X360 controllers. I use the X360 pad on my PC for all games and that thing makes the tendons near my wrist hurt ! Whereas DS with its light as feather sticks is just perfect for me ! I know only one other person, personally, who uses Dualshock to even play on PC and everywhere.

BTW< I asked this before too but no one replied: THe new rumble in the triggers of the X1 controller: Can it make u feel textures by using subtle vibrations? Can it? I mean, that would really really be awesome and I might get it for my PC.

The thumbsticks on the X1 controller are much much lighter than on the 360. They have way less tension. I tried the DS4 in the store, and I was impressed. I think both controllers are very good. To me, it just comes down to the angle of the thumbs, and which you prefer. Either way, I think both controllers are much better than what we had last gen.

For the Blu-ray app it makes sense, I presume they would do that so they don't pay blu-ray related licensing fees unless you install the app. For the rest could it be anti-trust related? Microsoft got into big trouble for that in the past, maybe they don't pre-install apps now for that reason, to avoid various forms of litigation.

That reality is based on practically having a monopoly in the desktop OS space. The Xbox platform wouldn't be encumbered with such issues.

I think I am the only one who prefers the Dualshocks over the X360 controllers. I use the X360 pad on my PC for all games and that thing makes the tendons near my wrist hurt ! Whereas DS with its light as feather sticks is just perfect for me ! I know only one other person, personally, who uses Dualshock to even play on PC and everywhere.

BTW< I asked this before too but no one replied: THe new rumble in the triggers of the X1 controller: Can it make u feel textures by using subtle vibrations? Can it? I mean, that would really really be awesome and I might get it for my PC.

Oh you're definitely not the only one. Plenty of folks @ GAF like the Dualshocks better than the Xbox controllers. ^_^

My personal opinion is that the 360 thumb sticks are good for FPS, but I prefer the DS3 for everything else (and prefer Move for FPS).

A little worried I will actually like the DS4 controller less, but from the 10 mins I tried it in the store it seems fine. And many people who swear by the Xbox 360 controller seem to like the DS4 controller just as well, which is a big shift as a lot of them hated the DS3 with passion.

I personally think the additional features in the DS4 are going to be more important this gen. But we'll see.

Nah, the DS3 is only better than the 360 controller for fighting games and action games where you have to mash the face buttons a lot (like Ninja Gaiden, God of War etc) - as the 360 controller's face buttons are plain painful to mash.

But for shooters and racing games, the 360 controller is clearly superior. Besides the thumbsticks which are vastly better than the DS3s it also has proper triggers that don't hurt your knuckles after repeated use (I played GTA5 on PS3 for 3 hours yesterday, did a few street races and my knuckles hurt so much today morning). The fact that Sony themselves changed both the thumbsticks and the triggers to more closely resemble their Xbox counterparts tells you a lot.

Do any 360 owners here think the DS4 is as good or better than the 360 controller (if not the XB1's)?
As that will be fine for me.

The thumbsticks on the X1 controller are much much lighter than on the 360. They have way less tension. I tried the DS4 in the store, and I was impressed. I think both controllers are very good. To me, it just comes down to the angle of the thumbs, and which you prefer. Either way, I think both controllers are much better than what we had last gen.

Hmm, does that make them worse for shooters then (since it's harder to use higher sensitivities)?

I do think that the assymetrical layout of the Xbox controller makes for a better angle of the thumbs, since in most games to make your character move forward you have to tilt the left thumbstick up, which is much easier to do for long periods when the thumbstick position is directly above your thumb (as it is on Xbox) rather than to the right of your thumb, meaning you have to drag it up with your thumb (which is a more uncomfortable angle for your thumbs to hold for long periods).

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal opinion is that the 360 thumb sticks are good for FPS, but I prefer the DS3 for everything else (and prefer Move for FPS).

A little worried I will actually like the DS4 controller less, but from the 10 mins I tried it in the store it seems fine. And many people who swear by the Xbox 360 controller seem to like the DS4 controller just as well, which is a big shift as a lot of them hated the DS3 with passion.

I personally think the additional features in the DS4 are going to be more important this gen. But we'll see.

I actually prefer the Xbox controller layout for everything else. Why? Because when using the left analog stick in conjunction with the face buttons, my thumbs are in their natural resting position. It's very comfortable.

When playing FPS, I actually have to hold one thumb down in a non-natural resting position which is a bit uncomfortable for me.

With PS3, if I want to use the left analog stick it's always in a rather unnatural position. If I want to use both analog sticks it's highly uncomfortable after long sessions. BTW - the same goes when using the D-pad in conjunction with the analog stick on the Xbox controller.

But I do prefer the PS3 for fighting games where you use the D-pad instead of the analog sticks. Then we're back to why I like the Xbox controller so much with both thumbs resting in a more natural position.

Short version. Both controllers suck for FPS, IMO. But one sucks less than the other. :p

Hence the Xbox Controller is perfect when used with my PC. Mouse and Keyboard for all FPS. Controller for platformers and such that use left analog stick + buttons and don't use the right analog stick or D-pad. While a controller with a playstation style layout is idea for fighting games, D-pad + buttons. Well, that was until I got a dedicated fighting stick for the PC.

Regards,
SB

The DS4's sticks are much better than the DS3, not just in the shape, but the length and resistance. Aiming precision is much better on the DS4. The sticks are also in a slightly better position.

From what I've tried of the X1, DS4, DS3 and X360 controller, the X1's sticks are pretty loose.. not as much as the DS3, but looser than the DS4/X360 controller.

As for the asymmetrical vs symmetrical argument again, that's just personal preference. When I hold my controller, my thumbs naturally rest somewhere between the DS4's and X1/X360's stick placement. When moving forward (which is what you're doing at least 70% of the time) my thumb sits at a natural position on the DS4.

All that said, I'm one of the people who don't have an issue with either controller or stick placement. But my preference has always been symmetrical. And pretty much all of the issues I've had with the DS3 have been fixed with the DS4.

I have never had any real issue with controllers.

The original Xbox controller had odd dpad. The only thing I had to be careful about DS3 was the triggers. When you lay a DS3 on the table, you may trigger the L/R2 triggers accidentally. In Demon's Souls, this may mean aggro'ing a merchant.

So far DS4 seems fine. The sticks are tighter. The grip is comfortable. Can't find any reason to hate it.

I am more curious to see better touchpad usage and innovative built-in speaker use cases.

I can already tell the gyro and rumble are better by playing Flower.

this is what I use to play on my Playstation 3 because I prefer the XBox 360 controller

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V4AK8E/ref=pe_160430_30697430_email_1p_0_ti

I purchased the XBox One because I find the controller so comfortable. I really dislike the Playstation controller.

Unfortunately, I am having a little buyer's remorse right now. Wait, don't get me wrong! The One looks fantastic and I am enjoying it immensely! But as far as that $100 bundled Kinect...well, when I unboxed my system, I hurled the Kinect at my couch and have not bothered to hook it up.

I want to game, not talk to my TV. I knew going in that I was wasting that extra $100 on the Kinect but I was getting clobbered online even with my favorite Microsoft controller--it would be even worse with the Playstation controller.

My slight buyer's remorse comes from comments I'm hearing now about a noticeable difference in graphics/power that some are reporting and the fact that by purchasing the One, I'm kind of supporting Microsoft's Kinect media (not gaming) environment.

To GAMERS with no preference toward either environment, I'm suggesting that they save themselves $100 and get a system that is keeping them top of mind, the Playstation 4.

I would hook up Kinect once, use it for a month, then decide to hurl it out the window. For even the tiniest things like auto sign-in (which is amazingly quick), it's useful. And make no mistake, the Xbox One is clearly designed around having Kinect. I know of no other way to activate the Game DVR besides saying "Xbox, Record that".

I would hook up Kinect once, use it for a month, then decide to hurl it out the window. For even the tiniest things like auto sign-in (which is amazingly quick), it's useful. And make no mistake, the Xbox One is clearly designed around having Kinect. I know of no other way to activate the Game DVR besides saying "Xbox, Record that".

Agreed. The auto sign in feature and the voice recognition alone make the new kinect worth the money. Alot of games on the XB one let you navigate the menus with voice which is quite convenient IMO. The kinect also lets you use voice to do in game actions that you would have to use the controller for without it. Example in Ryse you can give troops orders with your voice instead of having to hold down the LB for 3 secs to issue the orders. This comes in handy when you are fighting 7 people at once.

These games should take advantage of the touchpad to implement short cuts.

Or just implement voice recognition for both consoles.

Back