Compare and contrast XBox One and PlayStation 4 from the user perspective

this is what I use to play on my Playstation 3 because I prefer the XBox 360 controller

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V4AK8E/ref=pe_160430_30697430_email_1p_0_ti

I purchased the XBox One because I find the controller so comfortable. I really dislike the Playstation controller.

Unfortunately, I am having a little buyer's remorse right now. Wait, don't get me wrong! The One looks fantastic and I am enjoying it immensely! But as far as that $100 bundled Kinect...well, when I unboxed my system, I hurled the Kinect at my couch and have not bothered to hook it up.

I want to game, not talk to my TV. I knew going in that I was wasting that extra $100 on the Kinect but I was getting clobbered online even with my favorite Microsoft controller--it would be even worse with the Playstation controller.

My slight buyer's remorse comes from comments I'm hearing now about a noticeable difference in graphics/power that some are reporting and the fact that by purchasing the One, I'm kind of supporting Microsoft's Kinect media (not gaming) environment.

To GAMERS with no preference toward either environment, I'm suggesting that they save themselves $100 and get a system that is keeping them top of mind, the Playstation 4.

That's all hogwash. If you line up one system against the other in blind eye tests the majority of people couldn't tell you which was which. Kinect really does work and has some interesting uses. For example in Ryse, there are scenes where you lead legionnaires into battle into cramped urban spaces. You can defend the location with troops on the ground as well as archer support. In the midst of heated on screen battle you can order your archer support to fire into the barbarian hordes using voice commands. Its keeps you focused on the battle at hand by not obligating you to press buttons outside of your fight sequence. You DO have the option to use a button (Left bumper) but doing so also forces your fingers to charge that attack and wait for the volley fire gauge to fill. Its much easier and quicker to say "fire volley"

Another update to install times, this time from Kotaku with a few different games

We tested six multiplatform games on both consoles and every time, the PS4 was under a minute while the Xbox One install was several minutes long and required downloading an update before beginning the installation. When you include downloading those updates for each Xbox One game that happen in the background on PS4, the install times can get as high as fifteen minutes before you can even launch the game.

Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

The rest of these were tested on our office Wi-Fi which is around 9-11Mbps. It may have been faster on a wired connection, but you can compare your own connection speed here. These are our results:

Need For Speed Rivals:
XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38

http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836

WTF is XBO doing in the install process? That is a massive difference with PS4.

PS4 was designed for play while you install, XB1 might have some DRM leftovers.

Ah right, I forgot about that. I was assuming XBO had a similar play as it installs feature. I'm glad Sony took to heart all the games and OS install time complaints for PS3, especially when it's likely we'll be juggling around game installs when we run out of HDD space going digital.

Ah right, I forgot about that. I was assuming XBO had a similar play as it installs feature. I'm glad Sony took to heart all the games and OS install time complaints for PS3, especially when it's likely we'll be juggling around game installs when we run out of HDD space going digital.

It does install while you play. I was able to start playing Battlefield 4 at around 20-25% of the installation of the story mode. I guess it just takes longer to install, or it needs to install more before you can start playing.

MS does have a play while you install feature, but it's not as quick as the other guy's. I wished they would have employed Numecent/Approxy's Cloudpaging technology instead. With it you suppose to be able to start playing after 5-10% is buffered. Maybe this is a work in progress & it will get there, but it don't look good against the competition that's for sure.

Tommy McClain

Nah, the DS3 is only better than the 360 controller for fighting games and action games where you have to mash the face buttons a lot (like Ninja Gaiden, God of War etc) - as the 360 controller's face buttons are plain painful to mash.

But for shooters and racing games, the 360 controller is clearly superior. Besides the thumbsticks which are vastly better than the DS3s it also has proper triggers that don't hurt your knuckles after repeated use (I played GTA5 on PS3 for 3 hours yesterday, did a few street races and my knuckles hurt so much today morning). The fact that Sony themselves changed both the thumbsticks and the triggers to more closely resemble their Xbox counterparts tells you a lot.

Do any 360 owners here think the DS4 is as good or better than the 360 controller (if not the XB1's)?
As that will be fine for me.

Hmm, does that make them worse for shooters then (since it's harder to use higher sensitivities)?

I do think that the assymetrical layout of the Xbox controller makes for a better angle of the thumbs, since in most games to make your character move forward you have to tilt the left thumbstick up, which is much easier to do for long periods when the thumbstick position is directly above your thumb (as it is on Xbox) rather than to the right of your thumb, meaning you have to drag it up with your thumb (which is a more uncomfortable angle for your thumbs to hold for long periods).

Just from my very very brief time with the DS4, I thought it was a massive improvement over the DS3, and it felt really good. Whether it's better than 360 controller? I think that depends on your preference of the stick placement, and the resistance in the sticks. The sticks are really light, like the DS3 and Xbox One. You really don't have an option for those heavy sticks like the 360.

Personally, I'm not having any issues with the light sticks on the Xbox One. The ridges on the sticks and their concave surface really fight the ends of your thumbs. I find I can control them a lot better, but they are far more sensitive. Coming from the 360, it'll take a little getting used to, but it felt natural, and long term it should be an improvement..

I'm glad Sony took to heart all the games and OS install time complaints for PS3, especially when it's likely we'll be juggling around game installs when we run out of HDD space going digital.

It was the promise of immediacy, or close to, back in Son'y February reveal that sold me on their console this time around. Of course they've yet to deliver on a lot of it, including suspend/resume mid-game but I gather this is due in the next firmware update.

I would game more 10-15 min slots if it was actually practical but currently [on PS3] the time to boot, load the game, load a save file, play, then find a save point, make this impractical except in a few games. This is why game more and more on Vita and iOS now than my PS3. The idea that I can play 10 mins, switch off/sleep the console and pick up later exactly where I was within seconds is the real draw for me. Most of the rest of the stuff being offered: Kinect/Sony Camera, Social integration, I really don't care about at all.

@Scott @Azbat
Oh ok, so it's title dependent then. I guess the secondary chip (ARM?) for background tasks is making the difference here.

It was the promise of immediacy, or close to, back in Son'y February reveal that sold me on their console this time around. Of course they've yet to deliver on a lot of it, including suspend/resume mid-game but I gather this is due in the next firmware update.

I would game more 10-15 min slots if it was actually practical but currently [on PS3] the time to boot, load the game, load a save file, play, then find a save point, make this impractical except in a few games. This is why game more and more on Vita and iOS now than my PS3. The idea that I can play 10 mins, switch off/sleep the console and pick up later exactly where I was within seconds is the real draw for me.

Agreed, it's the best feature on Vita. One thing that's kind of strange is standby on PS4. So I thought it's basically like hibernate on Windows, but it isn't, since your active game gets shut down. I guess I'll be using Suspend exclusively whenever it comes out.

I'm still not very clear on the difference between the 2 modes aside from the game state saving in Suspend actually.

I think:

Standby applies to PS4 system. The system is still active and can wait for RemotePlay connection for instance.

Suspend/resume applies to individual apps/games.

Just from my very very brief time with the DS4, I thought it was a massive improvement over the DS3, and it felt really good. Whether it's better than 360 controller? I think that depends on your preference of the stick placement, and the resistance in the sticks. The sticks are really light, like the DS3 and Xbox One. You really don't have an option for those heavy sticks like the 360.

Personally, I'm not having any issues with the light sticks on the Xbox One. The ridges on the sticks and their concave surface really fight the ends of your thumbs. I find I can control them a lot better, but they are far more sensitive. Coming from the 360, it'll take a little getting used to, but it felt natural, and long term it should be an improvement..
Do you mean the DS4? If so, the DS4's sticks are much tighter than the DS3. I compared them back to back. The sticks are also shorter making them far more precise for aiming. I haven't used an X360 controller in a while so I can't really compare them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean the DS4? If so, the DS4's sticks are much tighter than the DS3. I compared them back to back. The sticks are also shorter making them far more precise for aiming. I haven't used an X360 controller in a while so I can't really compare them.

It's been a long time since I used the DS3. I remembered the sticks being lighter than the 360. I'll defer to your opinion, since you used them back to back. I feel like DS4 and X1 sticks are similar, but I wasn't able to compare them side-by-side. Either way, DS4 and X1 are both lighter than 360, I think.

The deciding factor on the controller for me is still the stick placement, the DS3 and DS4 are just not as comfortable to hold for me.
I also like the trigger rumble on the 1 controllers a lot.

i was iffy on DS4, just because i'm used to using R1 and L1 for shooting in FPS, it was akward at first, but i got used to it mostly

If they are both improvements over previous designs then I won't have any complaints when it comes to ergonomics. I have no complaints of the 360 controller but the DS3 always felt more natural because it's basically a design I've known for almost 15 years. I just had a problem of wearing out my DS3s while I'm still using the two original 360 controllers.

My first next gen purchase will probably be a ds4 since I can use it with my PS3 until I get my hands on both consoles.

I discovered a new use, with Skype I can use it as a baby monitor. ;)

Skype in the babies room is set to auto answer, and my wife just makes the Xbox voice command when she wants to see them. I know it is ROFL, but it is still pretty cool.

Any have too much vibration sound from the X1 controller? Mine is a rattle trap in Forza, I am tempted to open it up and check the motors.

Back