Claimed: Oblivion coming to PS3, Nov 6 (launch?)

PR crap, faux underground secret developer leaking edition.

PS3 is going to use HUGE textures for EVERYTHING!
The PS3 will forgo highly compressed textures!
Size is everything!
VIRTUALLY no loading times.
Everything hyped is real!
Keep the faith, true believers, for your faith shall soon be rewarded!

:LOL:

Certainly there were a few dumb things in there. Most striking I found the comment on the load times - the E3 demos all ran from harddisk! The PSP outselling the DS and DS Lite by 1 million also didn't sound convincing, but maybe with some creativity you can construct a way in which this is actually true. Also the part where Resistance is 20gb now but will be 34gb when it is finished - I'd expect the first games to be released on single layer blu-ray discs for sure. It's not impossible, but I'd be surprised. We'll soon know, because as the guys from Insomniac said at their own forum, they don't have a lot of time left before the game goes gold!

However, a lot of things were pretty smart also. Certainly, if he's a fake, he did a good bit of research and a lot of things make sense. I wouldn't want to bet a whole lot of money on him being a total fake either.

One thing I am sure of, and that is that we are going to get a lot of news in the coming months!

(And also, I think Oblivion shouldn't be too hard to port to the PS3 - surely a game with that rating will be ported, and porting is a lot easier than writing a new game)

3.5GB per layer apparently for 360 discs. Also, that 4.5GB was the PC install size, with assets in compressed archives. The 360 version apparently fills ~6GB or something. If nothing were to change at all, Blu-ray should at least be able to provide redundancy for data streaming to help cut down on stutters.

Who care Ps3 have a built in hard drive.

Killzone 2 - This one has been MIA since last years E3. It is still in development and it is, unequivocally, the PS3s big "secret weapon." Announcements are being held back until closer to the PS3 launch as it's going to generate a monumental amount of buzz. It's one of those things that I can't get into too much detail about. However, it looks exactly like the video. Yeah. That video.
His Killzone comment fits in line with the Recent IGN Mailbag:
I can't tell you for sure when we'll see the first in-game footage or in-game screenshot (though I wouldn't be surprised if this year's TGS would be the place). But I can tell you one thing I've heard from several people on the inside: the target footage you've seen wasn't just to blow smoke -- Guerilla really wants to achieve that level of presentation and is working diligently to do so. Also, don't expect to see it in any territory until (at the very minimum) late next year.
I'm anxious to see how this game is coming along.

-aldo

http://www.ps3land.com/article-586.php

PS3Land: One of the latest games that used speed tree was Oblivion, what other games in the future might we expect to have SpeedTree in?

Kevin: SpeedTree is in many PS3 titles that have yet to be announced, but you'll see a long list of customers and projects, many of them still in development, in the "Who's Using SpeedTree?" section at www.speedtree.com (some companies that have signed to use SpeedTree include; 10tacle Studios, Atari, Bethesda Softworks, Bizarre Creations, Insomniac Games, KOEI Canada, Midway, Mythic Entertainment, Real Time Worlds, SEGA, Silicon Knights, Ubisoft, Vivendi Universal, and Volition / THQ

PS3Land: Are you looking forward to the launch of the PS3?

Kevin: Indeed! We can't say too much at this point, but there are going to be some great-looking forests on that console.

:p

That was kind of interesting but it certainly doesn't allow any Oblivion-related conclusions IMO.
When you ask Mr SpeedTree about the PS3, you might expect him to talk about SpeedTree on the PS3. The link to Oblivion as a specific use of SpeedTree is pretty weak.

His info on Resistance regarding the game size and sound system is correct according to this new MTV article.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1539078/20060821/index.jhtml?headlines=true

It sounds like he (or his source) attended the same Insomniac demo as the MTV journalist. Although his claims are hard to believe, they might be true after all.

Heavenly Sword looks like Advent Children?

Killzone looks exactly like that video?

360 Oblivion has gimped textures due space requirement but yet doesn't fill up a whole DVD?

A recent sports game looks better on PS3 than 360 due to Blu-Ray? (Madden 2007 seems to show the exact opposite)

More than 200 new PSP titles will ship between now and Christmas?

Come on now.

Heavenly Sword looks like Advent Children?

Killzone looks exactly like that video?

360 Oblivion has gimped textures due space requirement but yet doesn't fill up a whole DVD?

A recent sports game looks better on PS3 than 360 due to Blu-Ray? (Madden 2007 seems to show the exact opposite)

More than 200 new PSP titles will ship between now and Christmas?

Come on now.

For what it's worth he did get one right. Does that mean anything to you? :p

There is a post floating around where mod makers did significantly improve the textures in Oblivion. Not sure the size or performance penalty, but they looked great. So nicer textures in the PS3 Oblivion edition (which is probably coming, but most of the comments people are relying on are more imaginary than not) could look a lot better. But I would hope, like others, that performance was the main focus.

Man those screenshots make me wanna go play Oblivion again. I hope consoles will get Mods for the games also in some point. :)

The texture replacers on the PC version of oblivion are absolutely fantastic. The original textures are so bad that I almost have to think they did it intentionally. Here are some before and after pictures:

http://www.tessource.net/files/images/Landscape LOD Texture Replacement-1.jpg
http://www.tessource.net/files/images/Landscape LOD Texture Replacement-2.jpg
http://www.tessource.net/files/images/Landscape LOD Texture Replacement-3.jpg
http://www.tessource.net/files/images/Landscape LOD Texture Replacement-4.jpg
http://www.tessource.net/files/images/Landscape LOD Texture Replacement-7.jpg

The sad thing is that the replacement textures are basically just enhanced versions of the the ones Bethesda shipped. High quality custom textures would be even better. Bethesda really dropped the ball on this one.

Nite_Hawk

It looks more like the LOD distance was increased, a "problem" that FarCry had.

Unfortunately doing that in Oblivion doesn't work well. You can try to change the number of Cells that oblivion loads detailed textures for, and it appears to work, but it causes all kinds of random problems from tiles of water disappearing to odd jumping behavior. It also makes the load times unbearable, and the game slows down a fair amount too. The texture replacers are currently the best solution that's been developed.

Nite_Hawk

Back