NPD May 2005

THere have been no shortages . We've allways had enough pstwo units to meet demand . Unless they are talkig about shortages because of returns needing new units as the originals were malfuntioning and they are counting that as shortages

I think that Sonycowboy is correct. The PS2 will enjoy healthy sales for a couple of years yet. I'm thinking that Sony will end up somewhere around 125 million units with PS2, which means they still have about 25 million to go. I'll probably be one of these late adopters to the system. Depends how much spare time I have to play the games. :)

sonycowboy:
The PSOne KILLED the dreamcast in head to head sales, in every region, by a LARGE margin.
The overall margin was a little over 2 to 1 with the Dreamcast not available in the largest markets for some of that time. For the Dreamcast's only full-year sales period, FY2000, of which half didn't even include sales from North America and Europe since it hadn't launched yet, it sold 4.65M to PS's shipped 9.31M. The next year, within which the DC was discontinued before the end of the term, SEGA's system sold 3.39M to PS's shipped 7.40M.

I'll throw this back out there as well, since it seems to have been overlooked.

According to NPD, 2005 PS2 year-to-year console sales in NA are up about 10%--over 2003 (as of April). I'm looking at about 50% jump over 2004.

.Sis

jvd said:
THere have been no shortages . We've allways had enough pstwo units to meet demand . Unless they are talkig about shortages because of returns needing new units as the originals were malfuntioning and they are counting that as shortages
For clarification, when you say "we" are you referring to a specific store, all stores at a particular retailer, or all stores in general?

.Sis

Would it be possible to get the NPD sales figures for PC-games? VoodooExtreme posts the best-sellers every week but they can't include any figures.

jvd said:
THere have been no shortages .
There were reports of US and UK lacking numbers, qualified by a definite 'drought' un the UK attributed to a ship getting caught in a pile-up on the Suex Canal, and game stores posting a poor Christmas which they attributed to a lack of PS2 availibility. Prior to PSTwo there were reports of shortages, and it's release was into this backlog of demand, with added demand for the restyling resulting in units selling faster than they were being made.

So I don't understnad your above comment, unless it's alla conspiracy and the games compnies reporting low sales are in cahoots with Sony to artificial inflate the idea PS2 is still in demand :p

Back