Child of Eden

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
Got this for the 360. The game is a sequel to Rez HD which is availabe on XBLA. RezHD is an amazing game and very different. The mix of environments, music and score attack is in perfect sync and continues to build up.

Child of Eden is Rez on Roids. It's a proper sequel. More importatnly, it can be played with Kinect.

To me, this is the poster child for Kinect. The responsiveness is outright amazing. The controls work amazingly well. I have a Kinect and were looking for more of a "core" game, pick this up without question.

It's getting great reviews also btw.

The 2 sites I tend to rely on mainly.

Eurogamer: 9/10
Edge: 8/10

Child-of-Eden_Wall_03.jpg

** Game is in Stereo by Default, go to the options and change it if you have a surround sound setup! **

Read some impressions on a different forum.
The game were really good, hitting the beat where great with Kinect.
But it was way to expensive, 50$ for basically a 90 minute on-rail-shooter.

Is that true? Is there more optional modes or what?
It can't just be over after 90 minutes, and get those scores.

Read some impressions on a different forum.
The game were really good, hitting the beat where great with Kinect.
But it was way to expensive, 50$ for basically a 90 minute on-rail-shooter.

Is that true? Is there more optional modes or what?
It can't just be over after 90 minutes, and get those scores.

Replayability? It's score-based so you might choose to replay levels to try to get better scores. That being said, yeah, price is a hangup for me buying this game. I really want to see this on the big screen in the living room, too. :/

I really want to see this on the big screen in the living room, too. :/

Got it today and played for a little bit (in cargo pants with 4 controllers in the pockets ;)) and it is just stunning.

I cleared the 1st level, started the 2nd and then quit realising that I wanted to get 'better' in the first level before progressing.

I don't think this title should be thought of as a linear shooter, more a rhythm action title. You can probably bang through Guitar Hero 3 in a couple of hours, but we spend upwards of $100 to get good at each song.

This game is $50?!
Why did I have the impression that this game was a downloadable game?

Probably because Rez HD was, and because it is a relatively light game.

So yeah, price is definitely keeping me from buying this game on both PS3 and 360, so I'll wait for a bit.

For those not wanting to spend $50. Fry's and Toys R Us have it on sale for $40.

As for replay, like Rotmm stated, they replay factor for this game is huge.

Once you get into the flow with Kinect controls, it's really a very neat experience and something completely different.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/the-reason-we-havent-heard-about-child-of-eden-on-ps3/3410/

Q Entertainment has a small team of roughly 30 people working on the project. With Child of Eden on Xbox 360 out the door, the studio's now working on PS3.

"We're doing everything in-house, we're not farming anything out," he said. "Now, we're working full-steam on the PS3 version. Despite the fact that the 360 was the lead SKU, the PS3 version is coming along very quickly."

As for whether the extra time will result in other features or Move support, Mielke was coy.

"There's nothing I can really say about it," he teased, "except that it will definitely be worth the couple months that people have to wait for the PS3 version to get finished. People with PS3s, people with nice TVs, people with all kinds of control options...it's going to be really cool."

This game is $50?!
Why did I have the impression that this game was a downloadable game?
cause the amount of effort thats gone into making it is ~10x less than a typical $50 console title, perhaps

As much as I hate this stupid play time = value argument, and as much as I love Rez (even have the Trance Vibrator for it), 60€ is just way too much for this. Last console generation the situation was slightly different (but even back then you saw the release of something like Gradius V or Tomb Raider Anniversary for half price), but this generation has seen so many releases of comparable scope and quality for a fraction of the price in the download space that CoE feels a wee bit like a rip-off.

btw there something weird in CoE, the game is in 720p, but the video (like the opening video) is in 640x480 stretched to 1280x720...
disk space issue?

also this game got lots of XMA audio files, maybe too big for XBLA release so it decided become retail?

wondering if they compress the game data (maybe using zip like cod series) and use vorbis audio (like Kinect Fun Labs games) maybe the size will be smaller....

Why Vorbis vs. WMA? In my limited experience Vorbis tends to be a bit larger than other codecs at the same bitrate as it focuses on quality. All the assets are compressed though. No-one loads uncompressed data as it's way slower than loading compressed data and decompressing as needed. The only exception to this would be something like a CD audio track, but I don't think anyone does that these days.

2.5 GBs likely can't be compressed much more than it is. The only way to get it down to something like 1 GB for a download title (what's XBLA's limit?) would be to go lossy or reduce content. I wonder if the game will get a PSN release considering PSN titles have been that large before? If the disc sales are poor, it'd be worth giving that a try.

Professional reviews are great ... people who actually have to pay for games are less enthused about the time it takes to play through.

Back