Child of Eden

It works as long as you don't have to aim for enemies that are located outside the boundaries of the screen. Similar to most fps control methods involving the Move, the camera starts to swivel once you reach the edge of the screen with the pointer. Problem is that it's happening very abruptly and the turning speed is very fast, and unfortunately there's no way to really tweak it.

I find this game to be a fantastic way to chill out for a bit after work. I've only played through the first 3 stages, but the art and music are really chill.

As to the question above about strategy, it's very similar to Rez in that regard. Most of the difficulty of the game is shooting down enemies fast enough that you are'nt overwhelmed with projectiles that need to be machine gunned down. It's not always easy (the third stage took me a few tries), but it's not insanely difficult (so far anyway).

The bigger strategy comes when you're going for 100% clears or score. In those cases there's a fair amount of memorization to optimize for shooting 8 enemies as much as possible to build up big chain bonuses while still clearing all the enemies. The degree to which you'll care about that is directly tied to how much you like optimization puzzles (oddly, I never cared about that sort of thing in games like Rez or this, but was completely hooked on Sonic Adventure 2, which is still one of the best route optimization puzzle games ever made despite being an average platformer).

Bought it from PSN.
The Move controls are just fine after calibration imo, but in my setup it does require that I play it standing up.
There's so much happening on screen that at times it's difficult to know what you should shoot, REZ had less busy backgrounds so it was quite bit easier.
The game hasn't yet given me quite the same vibe as REZ did, but I've only played it once, so...

The 3D in this game is pretty good!!
It actually makes it easier to distinguish the targets, and the effect looks very good too, there's some in-your-face moments with explosions which are cool :)
Now that I've opened a couple more levels, I'm starting to really really like the game, the visuals and music are just so beautiful and Move controls work very well.
Only the 'flick forward' to release the ammo burst is not always as responsive as I'd like, but you can choose the control scheme where the target-and releaseis mapped to the Home button, so that could be worth trying.

Funny, the REZ and ICO were released at their time close to each other, and they were my favorite games on PS2 for a long time, and were two of the few games I played over and over after finishing.
Now Child of Eden and ICO (and Shadow of the Colossus) are released on PS3 close to another, and I think I'll be playing them for a long time again :)

I'd only need to find the time to finish Resistance 3 too, but that's a bit stressing game, and I now I rather feel like chilling and playing something relaxing like CoE, ICO and SotC,

Bought it from PSN.
The Move controls are just fine after calibration imo, but in my setup it does require that I play it standing up.
There's so much happening on screen that at times it's difficult to know what you should shoot, REZ had less busy backgrounds so it was quite bit easier.
The game hasn't yet given me quite the same vibe as REZ did, but I've only played it once, so...

This game requires only minimal arm movement to play if you define a small width/range during calibration. I play it like a traditional Move FPS on an arm chair. Rest my right elbow on the chair for support, and twist my wrist to aim.

That way, it's more comfortable to play than a full body motion game. Define a larger width/range if you want to sweat more. I like the flexibility in control scheme in this sense. I think all Move games should evolve along this direction (Incorporate both small and big movement control schemes).

The 3D in this game is pretty good!!
It actually makes it easier to distinguish the targets, and the effect looks very good too, there's some in-your-face moments with explosions which are cool :)
Now that I've opened a couple more levels, I'm starting to really really like the game, the visuals and music are just so beautiful and Move controls work very well.
Only the 'flick forward' to release the ammo burst is not always as responsive as I'd like, but you can choose the control scheme where the target-and releaseis mapped to the Home button, so that could be worth trying.

Yes, the flick forward gesture is not so accurate. If necessary, I spam the gesture in the target area (to destroy everything inside), so the game will usually recognize a few of them. This is where small movement helps tremendously. The machine gun is MUCH better since it's activated by the T trigger.

3D indeed makes the game more immersive. I can visualize the space better. It's like losing myself in a void. I bet HMZ-T1 will make the user feel more isolated. Overall, 3D is not as refined/polished as SuperStardust but I think it works really well here. :)

Back