chess question

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Ok, i thought i knew a little about chess, but i didnt think this move was legal.
This is the position of the chessboard, im white and its my turn:
chess1.jpg

i move that pawn 2 spots to protect my rook. This is the computers counter:
chess2.jpg

Is that move legal? Im a little baffled. thanks

epic

Yep, that's a legal move. If your opponent moves their pawn two spaces (from home only), ending parallel to your pawn, you can then take their pawn diagonally. Only in that circumstance is that move allowed however.

Did that black pawn take your pawn? That ain't right. :???:

EDITED BITS: Thanks Nate, I didn't know that. Aside from this and castling are there any other silly rules like that?

Ahhhh!! Thanks Natoma/DC, i never heard of that play. Im just starting to get into chess, and that move just didnt look right to me. Now it makes sense. thanks. :)

epic

Can you only pull that off immediate after the pawn double move, or can it wait a few turns?

What would have you guys done instead?, I'd probably took that pawn in E4 out with that rook...

Yes. It would have cost you a nice pressure pawn, but you can then gain a pawn by moving the rook to b4. Then if you play it right, that should be enough of an advantage to win the game.

Other 'special' moves and stuff in chess that I can think of right now:

- reaching the other side with your pawn, obviously (where you can trade it for any other piece except a pawn or a king, with most people choosing a Queen obviously)
- draw through repetition, when the same two moves are repeated for three turns
- draw through the 50 turns no strike move (if that still exists), meaning that if no pieces are taken for 50 moves, then you have a draw (very rare this one)
- draw through stalemate ... if one of the two players cannot make a move during his turn (a king is not allowed to make a move that puts him in check), then no matter if that player even only owns a king, it's still stalemate and thefore a draw. Something to look out for, as it sucks when you're that close to winning and then you accidentally draw. ;)

That's about all I can think of though ...

(By the way, should anyone fancy a match, I'm under the same name on itsyourturn.com)

Yeah, what Arwin said.

Another odd rule which I've come accross (to my surprise and annoyance) at a tournament.. I'm not sure what it's called, but I had about 4 mins left, my opponent had about 20 seconds. Neither of us could force anything in the position, it was a rook and a pawns each or something - I cant remember, but basicly neither of us was progressing. He stopped the clock and called the adjudicator, who decieded that it was a draw since I was basicly just moving to let his time run out (no repititions either).

Annoying, I dunno if thats a standard rule (or still is - seems stupid), but I guess it was a rule in that tournament :(

No, it's not ... but don't let that stop you! ;)

Well I did register there, my alias is Mhyyt...
I haven't played in a long time and I mostly like to play games with 25-35 min clock, could you explain little bit how that site works. Is there minimun of 3 days for player to make a move? that's a bit much isn't it? or did I misunderstood something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that move legal? Im a little baffled. thanks
epic
Look up "en passant", ie, In passing.

It relates to the fact that pawns originally only moved one spot at a time til "they" introduced the double move at the start to speed up the game opening.

Well I did register there, my alias is mhyyt...
I haven't played in a long time and I mostly like to play games with 25-35 min clock, could you explain little bit how that site works. Is there minimun of 3 days for player to make a move? that's a bit much isn't it? or did I misunderstood something.

You can set the maximum number of days, not the minimum. I generally move quite fast, but as a non-paying member you can only make 15 moves per day. If you only play against me though, that should keep the game going fast enough.

If you want though we can play a game more directly though, if you can find some site that allows us to play live ...

You can set the maximum number of days, not the minimum. I generally move quite fast, but as a non-paying member you can only make 15 moves per day. If you only play against me though, that should keep the game going fast enough.

If you want though we can play a game more directly though, if you can find some site that allows us to play live ...

Well there is www.caissa.com which allows 2 week free membership, but maybe it's easier to play at itsyourturn, since it's not so restricting.

edit: I sended you an invite, if you are the Arwin from Netherlands, as there were two Arwin's the other one was arwin with small a-letter... I'm going to hit the deck now, but maybe the game can start tomorrow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back