Chat with J Allard

Guden Oden said:
Maybe you bought ataris or something I dunno, but no nintendo system was ever offered with two controllers as standard. There were probably promotional pack-in offers for a limited period, but it was neverever standard equipment. I don't think sega included two controllers either, sony definitely didn't. Why should they offer a second controller for free when people would otherwise have to pay a lot of dough for what is essentially a bit of plastic at the end of a string?

My NES definitely had two controllers and my genesis...maybe it was a holiday bundle, or maybe Europe just got screwed as usual.
I remember being upset that the playstation only had one, because it was a dorm room favorite. I was always the first with the consoles, thanks to my GI Bill and disability pay.

Guden Oden said:
Maybe you bought ataris or something I dunno, but no nintendo system was ever offered with two controllers as standard.
The first Nintendo Entertaiment System to be released in the US came not only with two controllers, but with R.O.B, a Zapper and a cartridge. Later most NES systems were sold with two controllers SMB or two controllers, a Zapper and a dual cart SMB/Duck Hunt.

It's only in the end of the NES life that the console was sold with one controller and no games pack-in or with SMB3.

The Master Sytem also was sold with two controllers, same for the Megadrive/Genesis.

NucNavST3 said:
My NES definitely had two controllers and my genesis...maybe it was a holiday bundle, or maybe Europe just got screwed as usual.
Nope, Europe got the same packs (Except the first one with R.O.B.), same for the MS/Megadrive.

NucNavST3 said:
I distinctly remember my consoles coming with 2 controllers, and I am not THAT old.
I thought it was the playstation that killed off the two controllers...yes/no?

jeex i can't remember taht far back...my first console was the NES, but I had a knock off one wasn't a real nintendo but it playd the games, it only came with one controller, then was the super nes, I'm almost positive that it didn't come with 2 controllers, after that was n64 then ps2, then xbox, noe of which came with 2 controllers.

regardless, we can say that in the last 15 years it's been industry standard to supply just one controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
If sony actually gives up the cash cow that is memory cards I'll eat my shoe.
Memory Sticks are used for saving game son the PS3. You can buy either Sony's MS or Sandisk's as long as they support the MagicGate tech.
Sandisk's MS are also way cheaper than Sony's ones.

Tap In said:
that's how I look at it too.

Guys, I don't care about the price (to a degree), but since when did the "casual gamer" care about what was inside the box? Whats inside is only important for those of us here. I also have yet to see anyone post WHY the casual gamer is now willing to spend $300 instead of their normal $150-$200. It would seem to reason that the casual gamer is still going to wait for the price drop of the Core

I am pretty sure that I would have bought one at $500 (w/HD DVD), but MSFT lost one sale from me because @$400 I only bought one 360 instead of two, I did buy 4 games, and I am hoping my dgl-3420 works with the 360 (I dont see why it shouldnt). So instead of being able to stream HD to both TVs it looks like I am going to have to stick with D-VHS for one room or as Guden so mildly put it save for another one...cuz I dont care for beer that much :D

scooby_dooby said:
jeex i can't remember taht far back...my first console was the NES, but I had a knock off one wasn't a real nintendo but it playd the games, it only came with one controller, then was the super nes, I'm almost positive that it didn't come with 2 controllers, after that was n64 then ps2, then xbox, noe of which came with 2 controllers.

regardless, we can say that in the last 15 years it's been industry standard to supply just one controller.

Hey its not THAT far back, damnit, I'm still young. 30 is the new 20! :LOL:

Mr_Puffy said:
Not to mention MS seems to continually use the past “game industryâ€￾ as the standard for the x360 rather then trying to think different or pioneer like I believe they did with the Xbox.

And look where it got them; distant second place and still losing money on hardware.

Vysez said:
The first Nintendo Entertaiment System to be released in the US came not only with two controllers, but with R.O.B, a Zapper and a cartridge. Later most NES systems were sold with two controllers SMB or two controllers, a Zapper and a dual cart SMB/Duck Hunt.

It's only in the end of the NES life that the console was sold with one controller and no games pack-in or with SMB3.

The Master Sytem also was sold with two controllers, same for the Megadrive/Genesis.

WAY OT: Who was it that killed off the game included?

NucNavST3 said:
Guys, I don't care about the price (to a degree), but since when did the "casual gamer" care about what was inside the box? Whats inside is only important for those of us here. I also have yet to see anyone post WHY the casual gamer is now willing to spend $300 instead of their normal $150-$200. It would seem to reason that the casual gamer is still going to wait for the price drop of the Core

IMO the people buying the core buyers at first will be the people who are avid gamers but who are financially strapped. These people don't have a HDTV, and they don't have a PC, yet they are still avid gamers, and the $299 pricepoint, while still expensive, is certainly better than $399.

I see it as a way they can give the console to the non-HD/online gamer for a more affordable price, not neccesarily "casual" gamers, simply ones who don't make that much money but still are very avid gamers.

Confidence-Man said:
And look where it got them; distant second place and still losing money on hardware.

You mean from 0% to 25% worldwide market share?

From 0% to 35% of the US market?

That's where it got them. Pretty damn good in 4 years if you ask me.

Looking at total consoles sold they may be a distant second, but look at the current software sales and hardware sales and they are more like a very close 2nd, especially in North America where they have ~35% of the market share vs Sony's 40%.

Quick derail into OT

NucNavST3 said:
WAY OT: Who was it that killed off the game included?
I'd say Nintendo. By the end of the NES era they started offering game-less packs.

*Pushes thread back on rails.* :mrgreen:

Vysez said:
Memory Sticks are used for saving game son the PS3. You can buy either Sony's MS or Sandisk's as long as they support the MagicGate tech.
Sandisk's MS are also way cheaper than Sony's ones.
On IGN it says the ps3 has “slots for Memory Stick, SD and CompactFlash cards.â€￾, whether it stays that way and at what cost; to be continued.....

scooby_dooby said:
You mean from 0% to 25% worldwide market share?

From 0% to 35% of the US market?

That's where it got them. Pretty damn good in 4 years if you ask me.

Looking at total consoles sold they may be a distant second, but look at the current software sales and hardware sales and they are more like a very close 2nd, especially in North America where they have ~35% of the market share vs Sony's 40%.
'Nuff said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr_Puffy said:
On IGN it says the ps3 has “slots for Memory Stick, SD and CompactFlash cards.â€￾, whether it stays that way and at what cost; to be continued.....
Yeah, the console have a multi-format reader, but games can only save on a MagicGate device (MS).
The other formats can be used for the multimedia feature of the console (musics/photos and I guess videos too).

Tap In said:
well I remember buying my Atari 2600 in 1981 :D

2 controllers BTW ;)

Sadly, I was not allowed any consoles while younger. Only computers, c-64, vic-20, atari 400, trs-80,atari 520ST, amiga,coco2, coco3,8088-80xxx. The first console allowed in my house (because I bought it) was the genesis. Then I went on to buy, NES, playstation, Dreamcast (3) times, pawned twice while in college (I still own one), and two xbox consoles (one we will call Core and one *cough*"premium"*cough*), now its on to the xbox 360 (hoping to have two or one 360 and one PS3).

Yet, with all of that, I would never consider myself a hard-core gamer.

NucNavST3 said:
Sadly, I was not allowed any consoles while younger. Only computers, c-64, vic-20, atari 400, trs-80,atari 520ST, amiga,coco2, coco3,8088-80xxx. The first console allowed in my house (because I bought it) was the genesis. Then I went on to buy, NES, playstation, Dreamcast (3) times, pawned twice while in college (I still own one), and two xbox consoles (one we will call Core and one *cough*"premium"*cough*), now its on to the xbox 360 (hoping to have two or one 360 and one PS3).

Yet, with all of that, I would never consider myself a hard-core gamer.

sadly, I was an "adult" when I bought my Atari. ;)

nice computer collection you had there though. :D

Back