Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Mobile phone batteries have come a very long way in just 20 years... First ones I remember were the size of a small case and provided a very small amount of power. This game takes place in some 40 years into the future, it's not so unrealistic to imagine something better will be available...

Or maybe it runs on an arc reactor :p

Internal organs are fitted with airbags.

The thing that always gets me is power source. Without something better than lithium poly batteries, these things wouldn't last more than 10 minutes on a charge. I suppose it'd add an interesting resource management to the gameplay. Find a power socket and recharge for a few hours every ten minutes, kinda like Captive on Amiga.

Some real-life systems use an internal combustion engine. It's a similar problem to powered a lawn mower :).
My grandma had (probably still has) one with a very long cord, nice piece of gear.
Evangelion's EVA suits (building sized) had an ombilical cord and then very short operating time when fully autonomous, which made for a dramatical effect.

Probably the game handwaves the problem, or maybe has some wireless power which would give a justification for preventing you to roam around too far.
Terminator would "solve" the problem by pretending the humanoid machines (rotting or not) were nuclear powered.

Seriously guys, battery technology is advancing at a very fast rate. On the one hand, there are all the mobile devices, and on the other, electric cars have just started to become a viable mass market product with the Tesla S and the BMW i3. The demand will only continue to increase for more power with less weight, which will drive up R&D investments as well. It's probably the least unrealistic element of the trailer, cloaking stuff is far more sci-fi IMHO.

Batteries aren't going to cut it as they just don't and won't get the required energy density. the massive interest portable power of the last 50 years has yielded very few real technological breakthroughs. But it is of course irrelevant to the game. It's just a common gripe of 'near future' tech with me. Writers ignore completely the power requirements of tech which likely cannot be solved without massive impact to the entire world (eg. fusion reactors capable of being portable would mean huge changes for the energy industry and hydrocarbon based economics, etc). One notable culprit for me was The Hunger Games. If the capital has the capability to fly massive airships and fabricate matter etc., why the need for coal and wood?? That doesn't stop one enjoying a work, but it's always a point of discussion (like also the ignoring of various physical laws like mass and Newton's Third when superhero's applies super strength). Truth is, ignorance is bliss. ;)

Seriously guys, battery technology is advancing at a very fast rate. On the one hand, there are all the mobile devices, and on the other, electric cars have just started to become a viable mass market product with the Tesla S and the BMW i3. The demand will only continue to increase for more power with less weight, which will drive up R&D investments as well. It's probably the least unrealistic element of the trailer, cloaking stuff is far more sci-fi IMHO.

Weirdly enough cloaking technology is probably going to be easier to accomplish than creating a personal portable power supply that meets the requirements of things like exoskeletons or inertia dampening barriers.

That's interesting, as some of the experimental exoskeletons I've read about are already running on built-in batteries...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Universal_Load_Carrier

Not sure how much power will be required for an actual real-world to be used in combat situations, or acrobatics like that in the trailer. However the guys aren't carrying an extra 100-150 pounds of equipment either...

And I imagine there can be various arrangements to help with any problems, like don't equip special forces that need to stay behind enemy lines for long, or carry a large generator with each squad for recharging and so on.

Digital version of latest Game Informer is out, COD: Spacey Warfare is their cover story. Founder of Sledgehammer Games confirmed they are using new engine, Tom Baker will give voice to main protagonist, campaign will be focused only on him.

Not sure how much power will be required for an actual real-world to be used in combat situations, or acrobatics like that in the trailer. However the guys aren't carrying an extra 100-150 pounds of equipment either...
You grossly underestimate work done against gravity. Just consider how far you can get on a tank of gas in a car rolling along the ground and compare that to how much fuel is burnt getting objects the fairly short distance into space. Or with another analogy, human terminal velocity is about 120 mph which means gravity is the same force to overcome as a 120 mph head wind, on top of which you need the energy to move. Batteries have ~1/20 - 1/50th the energy of chemical energy sources. Batteries will never cut it.

The relevance in games and fiction is that it offers a limitation to affect the rule-set. If designers factored in their energy source, they could build around its limits. We have guns that need reloading including power-packs, yet armour is running of Unobtainium and Everlastium. It's not the end of the world that none of them do, but it'd be a nice sophistication if any designer actually applied basic thermodynamics to their fictional world. Pretty much every one of them has been to school and studied grade-level science/physics so it's not like it's asking a lot.

Still along way off jumping suits. ;) TBH I think a robotic rover, like a donkey (as in functioning like a donkey, not a robotic donkey per se), makes more sense for transporting gear. An exoskeleton makes most sense for the uses in science fiction IMO. There's also the issue already raised of the forces exerted on the 'pilot', but these may be able to be dealt with. A bipedal landing with the exoskeleton absorbing the impact (pilot would need to learn to keep their legs netirely relaxed on landing) and providing a more gradual deceleration seems plausible to me.

Still along way off jumping suits. ;) TBH I think a robotic rover, like a donkey (as in functioning like a donkey, not a robotic donkey per se), makes more sense for transporting gear. An exoskeleton makes most sense for the uses in science fiction IMO. There's also the issue already raised of the forces exerted on the 'pilot', but these may be able to be dealt with. A bipedal landing with the exoskeleton absorbing the impact (pilot would need to learn to keep their legs netirely relaxed on landing) and providing a more gradual deceleration seems plausible to me.

There is a battery based pneumatic catapult that can launch a 45 lb UAV at 15m/s and uses a 14.4V Li Ion cordless drill battery.

http://www.uav.ee/products/1/uav---pneumatic-catapult

Metal air battery particularly Li air batteries have the potential to reach an energy density comparable to gasoline. And given we are talking 40 years in the future, exoskeletons able to launch a man a couple stories off the ground doesn't seem farfetched.

There is a battery based pneumatic catapult that can launch a 45 lb UAV at 15m/s and uses a 14.4V Li Ion cordless drill battery.
It launches at 11 degrees, with far reduced impact from gravity and using the plane's own wings for lift.
Metal air battery particularly Li air batteries have the potential to reach an energy density comparable to gasoline. And given we are talking 40 years in the future, exoskeletons able to launch a man a couple stories off the ground doesn't seem farfetched.
Sure. I suppose as technology progresses, we'll get closer to a point where there is energy available. However, for the past 100 years, portable energy has been crap and yet no writers have factored that into their universes. They treat it as a solved problem. It'd be nice if whatever tech was used was explained. Theoretical techs like Li-air have a history of taking a long time to materialise and even never actually happening due to real-world issues inhibiting the theoretical performance.

I'm not going to predict bouncing exoskeletons won't exist in forty years time. I'd just like to see more thought in the application of tech. That said, it wouldn't be for every game. Many games and stories require Universal laws to be ignored/broken or they wouldn't be any fun. ;)

Just saw on ign that COD:Ghosts is the best selling title on both next gen hardware - better than Titanfall and all other games... Bit depressing. I mean good for them but I do get the feeling that they just won't even try to change the formula and maybe make the games a little bit deeper if it's so successful. AW looks pretty good though.

Just saw on ign that COD:Ghosts is the best selling title on both next gen hardware - better than Titanfall and all other games... Bit depressing. I mean good for them but I do get the feeling that they just won't even try to change the formula and maybe make the games a little bit deeper if it's so successful. AW looks pretty good though.

To me this just looks like another proof that Titanafall was a fun game but severly lacking in many areas. Very low on content, visually unappealing (although they mastered the use of large mech inside traditional COD-based arenas), and utterly failing to reach to the casual FPS gamers that represent the large portion of COD userbase.

To me this just looks like another proof that Titanafall was a fun game but severly lacking in many areas. Very low on content, visually unappealing (although they mastered the use of large mech inside traditional COD-based arenas), and utterly failing to reach to the casual FPS gamers that represent the large portion of COD userbase.

Well I just used Titanfall as an example. COD has sold more than ALL other next gen games. All of them.

I think he means that Titanfall was expected to give COD a serious run for its money, by almost everyone. Especially with a not so good COD release.

1080p60fps is definitely possible for those games. I'd probably buy it too, MW3 was my favourite.

E3 demo of Advanced Warfare was really impressive. Visuals are so sleek and facial tech is top notch.

ModEdit: Source http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_cod_advanced_warfare_screens-15404_en.html
image_call_of_duty_advanced_warfare-25280-2939_0001.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_call_of_duty_advanced_warfare-25280-2939_0002.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_call_of_duty_advanced_warfare-25280-2939_0003.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_call_of_duty_advanced_warfare-25280-2939_0004.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_call_of_duty_advanced_warfare-25280-2939_0005.jpg

Back