Best selling video game of all time?

Best ever is too difficult. I don't like that particular contest anyway. So lets stay with best selling in this thread :D

Yeah wasn't suggesting the thread should change :) Just thought this was the best place to post that contest. So everyone go and vote :)

I thought the original Myst ruled them all.

It was ported to damn near every platform there is including 3DO's.

Whats the world wide, total sales for Myst?

Myst might be the best selling game ever. Funny thing i don't know anybody who actually played the game or even heard of someone who has! And i don't consider Myst a real game anyway ;)

I just found it sold 12,000,000 across all platforms.

Myst rocked. ^_^

Sadly Riven was plagued with too many early design inadequacies that I didn't get too far into it. (Basically walking back and forth a half-dozen screens to check of pushing Button A or pulling Lever B had any reaction, AND putting a CD swap in-between...? Not a game I'm gonna play. :p )

Will have to get everything on DVD at some point just for kicks. Being able to play it fast would probably give me reason to get through and see what it offers.

Not quite sure what's with all the people who like to berate the poor game... Just something about being popular, I guess. Don't realize people that "hating popular games (or movies or TV shows) for being popular" is passe at this point?

matroxgaming said:
I thought the original Myst ruled them all.

It was ported to damn near every platform there is including 3DO's.

Whats the world wide, total sales for Myst?

Most myst sales were bundles with PC or new video cards. Not that I'm against bundles with consoles, but as for the PC market , people are buying bundled PC or cards without even looking at the content.

wco81 said:
EA claims Madden has sold 37 million, over 5 million last year alone.

They don't have to rebuild a new game from scratch for every 4-6 years and they put out a release every year.

Madden is quite high (as is Fifa too). I'm not interested in EA games sales, because they are too predictive. The same crowd will buy the same game year after year until the end of time. Unlike the other franchise which may die or collapse dur to a decrease of quality, those sports games wil sell no matter what.

You can even predict when Madden 100M :(

thop said:
Found sth. not sure if its true but anyway:

1990 - Good Year for Nintendo
Nintendo releases Super Mario 3, the all-time best-selling video-game cartridge.

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/hov/p7_01.html

Heh, they even made a movie about that single game!! Who remembers it? Some "the videogame wizard something-something in the world" (NOTE: that title is completely off, i must have seen it like 10 years ago or more... it was about this little kid who enters a mega-videogame-contest together with his mates and wins... blah blah blah... And the final game was SM3, putting the emphasis on the "flying" Mario...)

Go on, there must be someone who remembers that! It even showed Nintendo's "glove" thing... It was a whole huge Nintendo movie....

Old, but I'll come back to it anyway since the thread was updated:
PC-Engine said:
Oh, I know. I just posted it because it had similar gameplay to Myst but better graphics/animation :)
Not really. One of the things I found most irritating about Myst were the brothers' books, where you got a bit of pixellated live-action thrown in--it was just too out of place. Thankfully it was pretty much only limited to the books. 7th Guest and 11th Hour had too much of that (and too much of it over pre-rendered backgrounds looking even more out-of-place)... overall, it made me think of those old games played on VCR's and the like.

Myst was also not so dark, confined mainly inside a building, or trying to "replicate" more than create. The areas and styles it presented were broader, and on the whole the art direction was much better. Certainly it has spots that look rather rancid by today's standards (as will all games that age), but at the time it very stand-out.

Now Riven and Exile...? Those started being far more shruggable, as they weren't notable improvements graphically, nor compared to their contemporaries as Myst was. Exile was frankly a yawn even to look at.

As far as animation goes, that's a big shrug for me. All I know is it was pretty obvious and out of place on both, and there's no real way for me to do direct comparisons now.

Didn't Myst use static CGI? I know 11th Hour had animated CGI. For example when you click to a location where you wanted to go, it would show the animated CGI in first person perspective too.

just played through myst for the *first* time, actually. I had played it when it was new and got stuck in stoneship and quit it. . .that was 10 yrs ago, give or take. lol

Myst was pretty but 7th guest flat out BLEW it away for graphics (yes pre-rendered transitions) and gameplay. In reality, if I'd been older when the two came out I'd have beated myst in ~10H of gameplay, 7th guest in ~25-30H. That's a lot more bang for the buck. 11th hour wasn't quite as good as t7g, but it was pretty in-depth, too. The game I want is the collector (the 3rd game that doesn't have a publisher and maybe not even a development team anymore. :( ).

The sims has outsold everything, as far as I know, with 50million+ on just PC (including expansions, etc. . .which you have to if you are putting it up against mario). Considering that the sims hasn't been bundled with anything, afaik, that's REALLY impressive.

Just found that Zelda64 is #1 on pre-order sales. I think Halo2 might be the new #1 soon.

Back