Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2022]

Well Panasonic TVs are not available in the US and it's probably more pricey than most people would want to pay.

That's subjectively better, not objectively.

Yeah it's the weird thing that where subjective can be better than objective. Unlike full speed hdmi 2.1 port with full feature of hdmi 2.1 that's objectively better than hdmi 2.0. And can't be subjectively worse.

Big sale on the Samsung QD-OLED, almost 25% off.

Not a penny off the Sony QD-OLED though.

Bad reviews and word of mouth on the Samsung?

Big sale on the Samsung QD-OLED, almost 25% off.

Not a penny off the Sony QD-OLED though.

Bad reviews and word of mouth on the Samsung?

Maybe to congratulate the Samsung boss in Korea got pardoned?

"when you were pardoned, our sales skyrockets this much all around the world"

Looks like the brands in my price range, TCL (R655) and Hisense (UH8), are coming with some serious value heat again!

I just ordered my LG C2 65" for $1600... which is what I spent on my current high end Samsung 1080p that I've had for probably 7 years now?

Really looking forward to experiencing both 4k movies/tv/games and HDR for the first time, on one of the best OLEDs around.

I just ordered my LG C2 65" for $1600... which is what I spent on my current high end Samsung 1080p that I've had for probably 7 years now?

Really looking forward to experiencing both 4k movies/tv/games and HDR for the first time, on one of the best OLEDs around.

congrats! and make sure it was properly calibrated. on xbox you can press all shoulder buttons to see the calibration wizard with nits. dunno how it is on playstation.

So I got my C2 last night and boy is this a whole new experience! Truly experiencing 4k HDR for the first time in my home is just wonderful, the color, true black and brightness spectrum is just amazing. Yes I'm many many years behind but didn't want to get a cheapo set.

I currently have everything going through my Nvidia Shield 2019, which is working great. Apart from Kodi which unfortunately doesn't work with DV profiles yet with source files in MKV, but HDR10 fallback works fine. New version of Kodi coming with support for DV within MKV containers. Netflix, Prime, Paramount etc. all working great with DV and HDR10 support at 4k. Tried a few shows/movies I've watched recently and it's amazing even on a normal contemporary show the difference it makes in color spectrum. It's really going to be hard to go back from this, now I want HDR for my PC monitor.

Also have my PC connected to it from my 3090 via a 24' fiber optic HDMI 2.1 cable at 4k120Hz, and that is working very well, mostly. It's nice to be able to drag YouTube windows to the TV and have them display full HDR (since Shield YouTube won't ever support VP9 and thus can't do HDR). I've been playing with Cyberpunk 2077 in 4K RT HDR (wow!), which switches perfectly between displays. A few other titles work great switching displays, however for example Little Nightmares II switches ok, but you can't select a 4k resolution, it takes the resolutions from the main display only. You have to set the TV to the "Main display" in Windows then launch LMII before it will do 4k properly.

So I got my C2 last night and boy is this a whole new experience! Truly experiencing 4k HDR for the first time in my home is just wonderful, the color, true black and brightness spectrum is just amazing. Yes I'm many many years behind but didn't want to get a cheapo set.

I currently have everything going through my Nvidia Shield 2019, which is working great. Apart from Kodi which unfortunately doesn't work with DV profiles yet with source files in MKV, but HDR10 fallback works fine. New version of Kodi coming with support for DV within MKV containers. Netflix, Prime, Paramount etc. all working great with DV and HDR10 support at 4k. Tried a few shows/movies I've watched recently and it's amazing even on a normal contemporary show the difference it makes in color spectrum. It's really going to be hard to go back from this, now I want HDR for my PC monitor.

Also have my PC connected to it from my 3090 via a 24' fiber optic HDMI 2.1 cable at 4k120Hz, and that is working very well, mostly. It's nice to be able to drag YouTube windows to the TV and have them display full HDR (since Shield YouTube won't ever support VP9 and thus can't do HDR). I've been playing with Cyberpunk 2077 in 4K RT HDR (wow!), which switches perfectly between displays. A few other titles work great switching displays, however for example Little Nightmares II switches ok, but you can't select a 4k resolution, it takes the resolutions from the main display only. You have to set the TV to the "Main display" in Windows then launch LMII before it will do 4k properly.

Ah, reading this makes me relive the first time I booted into Windows and started checking out movies and games on my LG CX. :) I envy you the brighter and lighter C2.

My secondary monitor is still a quite good IPS display so I'm constantly reminded of how absolutely great OLED is compared to any LCD based display.

I still occasionally come back from getting a drink to the monitors displaying a black screen (have Windows screensaver set to display solid black if I'm away for more than 5 minutes to ensure the OLED is never displaying much if I'm not immediately around) and do a double take wondering if my LG CX is actually on because there is zero backlight glow so it looks like it's not on compared to the LCD next to it.

Regards,
SB

Make sure you have calibrated the hdr brighrnss nits thingy. Either via the windows hdr calibration tool on windows store or manually via CRU.

It didn't affect much for gaming on my lg CX (maybe because hdr in games are not standardized and each games are unique?). But for movies it felt more "right". Like... Less instances of clipped brights.

Edit: rofl I felt dejavu, and scrolled up, and yeah. I'm dumb.

Anyway, dune in hdr looks amazing. If you have not tried it. I'm using the one from Apple TV, the one on webos lg store.

One rather annoying part of this setup is that after my PC display goes black from screensaver timer and locks the screen, it won't come back properly until I turn on the TV then turn it off.

One rather annoying part of this setup is that after my PC display goes black from screensaver timer and locks the screen, it won't come back properly until I turn on the TV then turn it off.
Is the screen saver set to "sleep" the display or display black? If it's "sleep" does windows and the display have any sort of "hdmi-cec' enabled? I think it should be able to come back on its own but maybe more is needed?

Back