Best hair in a console game. *spawn

People are forgetting about fighting games, what about Tekken 6 or Soul Calibur 4.
And this shouldn't include graphics in cutscenes.

I remember seeing a document that stated that the character models in MGS4 ranged from 5000-10,000 polys. RE4's Leon had 10,000. I'm assuming his statement was an educated guess.

Yeah, more detailed accessory models, smoother curves in the meshes and so on, the hero character looks reasonably more detailed. AFAIK RE is going to use an over-the-shoulder 3rd person view quite often so that justifies this, the caracter should be almost two times as bigger on the screen as Snake in MGS4.

Edit - also, my educated guess about Snake has turned out to be pretty close when official specs were released, but only after a lot of flame from the resident fans...

Additionally, the over the shoulder view means much of the model won't actually be on screen and thus won't be drawn, so you can afford to pack more detail in to what typically will be seen.

Additionally, the over the shoulder view means much of the model won't actually be on screen and thus won't be drawn, so you can afford to pack more detail in to what typically will be seen.

True but RE5 has two controllable characters on screen by default.

I think what makes the Drake hair so much better than the other games is the occlusion below the hair. You can see this clearly in this shot:- http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/3180426114_c333a0b91e_o.jpg

Compared to something like this MGS shot:- http://i27.tinypic.com/2dqlsn4.jpg you can see how the fact that the MGS shot has a bright scalp and forehead area, regardless of how much hair is covering the area. I did notice in one shot that there was some slight shadowing down the forehead of Naomi, it looked like a cut-scene shot, which means they may use a different lighting system for cut-scenes. Either that or the piece of hair casting the shadow never animates and they have built the shadow into the texture.

The fact is though, hair isn't transparent and anything underneath should reflect that property. Now they (the Uncharted devs) may have just painted the scalp area darker on the characters to create the illusion of shadow. But which ever method they have used, the added depth and solidity it gives the hair, is a definite plus.

It would appear than despite the many graphical irregularities in Uncharted, they have at least taken the time to deal with the hair and its reaction to light properly. Hopefully, this is something other devs will notice and take the time to make sure their in-game hair looks as good.

I mean, it's all fine and dandy to have great hair textures... but if it looks like some "plonked on" wig, the effect is killed stone dead.

Back