Best E3 2006 In-game Graphics

Sis said:
What about Mercenaries? Anyone know?
According to a dev on GAF who spoke somone he knows at E3 said it will eventually go to 360

Very few decent games will really be exclusive this gen (if all these rumors pan out)

It would be foolish to waste the resources for just one platform IMO when both of the big 2 should have plenty of install base. they need to play the "exclusive" game though and make sure when it hits the game store that the advertising says PS3 or Xbox 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me all I care about is if it's real-time. If it is then it counts. I wish we could have really seen Assassin's Creed though.

mckmas8808 said:
To me all I care about is if it's real-time. If it is then it counts. I wish we could have really seen Assassin's Creed though.

Of course it counts, but it counts as a cinematic cut-scene, or what 1up has chosen to call 'trailers'

So, the Assassins Creek video that was running during the interview on the back of that pretty woman was realtime graphics?!?!?!?
I could've sworn it was prerendered cgi as the motion is just too good.

But after I checked some screenshots of the video, they do look like they could indeed be from realtime.

It really seems it is the motion and animation that will differenciate the true next gen titles, and as titles like Assassin's Creek and Final Fantasy XIII have proven, they can be easily mistaken as prerendered cgi.

Of the in-game debate. What about if the game features "Quick Time" style gameplay elements that are rendered with game engine, but really are just branching cinematics.
Can they not be called in-game, even if, say 10% of gameplay consists of such "Quick Time" events?

rabidrabbit said:
So, the Assassins Creek video that was running during the interview on the back of that pretty woman was realtime graphics?!?!?!?
I could've sworn it was prerendered cgi as the motion is just too good.

But after I checked some screenshots of the video, they do look like they could indeed be from realtime.

It really seems it is the motion and animation that will differenciate the true next gen titles, and as titles like Assassin's Creek and Final Fantasy XIII have proven, they can be easily mistaken as prerendered cgi.

Of the in-game debate. What about if the game features "Quick Time" style gameplay elements that are rendered with game engine, but really are just branching cinematics.
Can they not be called in-game, even if, say 10% of gameplay consists of such "Quick Time" events?

I don't think we saw anything RT concerning Assassin creed.In game assets probably some ,but that's all.

I thought Assassins Creed was playable behind closed doors?

What I find funny is, 1up voted AC above Gears of War in terms of visuals, the funny part is that if you have a game that looks better than arguably the best looking 360 game, and its playable....why not show everyone? Seems like a waste of free marketing to me.

Bad_Boy said:

What I find funny is, 1up voted AC above Gears of War in terms of visuals, the funny part is that if you have a game that looks better than arguably the best looking 360 game, and its playable....why not show everyone? Seems like a waste of free marketing to me.

Because it is not a 360 game. It currently is a ps3 exclusive.

There was some rumor started in the Inq claiming some MS told them the game was actually running on a xbox360. But that was in all likely hood just a bad joke. Because why would MS know what was being shown behind closed doors for a ps3 game?

Bad_Boy said:

The same reason Gears Of War was shown behind closed doors?
Now, why would a developer show a game behind closed doors with limited/selected access... think think think now why could that be, it's so hard to come up with any reason.

inefficient said:
I think the "best visuals" thing was all platforms because crysis was also on the list.

rabidrabbit said:
The same reason Gears Of War was shown behind closed doors?
Now, why would a developer show a game behind closed doors with limited/selected access... think think think now why could that be, it's so hard to come up with any reason.
True, now that I think about it, the review sites do say it had low frame rates and/or a bit buggy.

I guess im just a little annoyed that we didnt get to see the gameplay. Seems weird to me they would hide something so praised by everyone.

Afrika - very impressive from lighting to animation to the "little things."

What is it about the 360 that makes the animation less smooth in some games that we have seen showcased than other platforms? Its certainly not power as the CPU can still run circles around the any desktop CPU... Could the culprit be UE3.0?

blakjedi said:
Afrika - very impressive from lighting to animation to the "little things."

What is it about the 360 that makes the animation less smooth in some games that we have seen showcased than other platforms? Its certainly not power as the CPU can still run circles around the any desktop CPU... Could the culprit be UE3.0?

Good question. I think it may be as simple as those developers not putting an emphasis
on animation. Instead I think lots of devs are just thinking more polygons and more HDR.

mckmas8808 said:
Good question. I think it may be as simple as those developers not putting an emphasis
on animation. Instead I think lots of devs are just thinking more polygons and more HDR.

At some point I want the EPIC devs to stop working on Gears of War and work on just the animation... do a little TLC like NT did with Heavenly Sword. One thing I like about PS3 games is that they have a certain "bounce" to them. The best in ingame grpahcis showcased show characters with weight, quick transitions between animation frames, and extra animations to cover teh entire range of motion for the characters. I think relying too much on an engine to do your animation work leads to a lack of smoothness.

mckmas8808 said:
What is TLC?

Tender loving care aka hand tweaking. The level of attention and care that NT gave HS shows in the quality of their title. It is everything and more than they described or I expected. For me its only real reason so far to purchase a PS3 as I'm not into MGS nor FF. It also is the third title this generation to pleasantly surprise me this generation after Oblivion and GRAW ( and to a lesser degree condemned). To me only HS looks better than Mass Effect and Gears of War at this time.

I'm surprise no one has mention Lair? If the trailer is any indication of real time graphics then it destroys everything else on the show floor.

Still I was quiet disappointed that they haven't shown us the gameplay since the intriguing screenshot that shows what may look like to be gameplay footage.

Archgamer said:
I'm surprise no one has mention Lair? If the trailer is any indication of real time graphics then it destroys everything else on the show floor.

Still I was quiet disappointed that they haven't shown us the gameplay since the intriguing screenshot that shows what may look like to be gameplay footage.

No that screenshot IS from gameplay footage. A guy working on the game has released that information and said that he has played that part of the game plently of times.

He also said that we should be seeing more of the game in July at the Playstation event.:D

mckmas8808 said:
No that screenshot IS from gameplay footage. A guy working on the game has released that information and said that he has played that part of the game plently of times.

He also said that we should be seeing more of the game in July at the Playstation event.:D

Do you have a link to that? I never heard anything about that.

inefficient said:

There was some rumor started in the Inq claiming some MS told them the game was actually running on a xbox360. But that was in all likely hood just a bad joke. Because why would MS know what was being shown behind closed doors for a ps3 game?
Actually IGN also had the story and pulled it and it was in the Ubisoft booth not the Sony booth.

If they used a 360 to display it (people have claimed to see the 360 under a sheet) then they needed MS permission to do so (I'm guessing).

AC is no doubt coming to 360 also (eventually) and perhaps it is just farther along than the PS3 version so 360 was the viewable console.

Archgamer said:
Do you have a link to that? I never heard anything about that.

Sorry I seen it on the IGN forum. But seriously he does work for Factor 5 and he does know what he is talking about.

He said something like try to imagine that screenshot in motion and that's how the game looked at that time. But I think that screenshot is over 2 months old now, so if we do see it in July F5 would have had at least 4 extra months to work on the game since that screenshot emerged.

Back