Best E3 2006 In-game Graphics

Well since Crysis was the best in-graphics at E3 but not on console, then it must be Gears of War.

MGS4 for me.

Halo 3, well, it was impressive but I dunno there was just something about it. It wasn't impressive.

This probably doesn't make any sense :p

predicate said:
MGS4 for me.

Halo 3, well, it was impressive but I dunno there was just something about it. It wasn't impressive.

This probably doesn't make any sense :p

What is it about the term in-game that people don't understand?

Halo 3 trailer was just too.. uneventful, I guess :D
In-game - something that is done withe the game-engine. That must be the generally accepted description today ;)

didn't they say Halo3 would be using some single-source illumination model?

Anyways, it seems like they wanted to go for this sense of dread as he saw all those alien ships coming out of that crater?

Maybe kind of like how in Independence Day, they go inside one of those mother ships and they see all the alien pods in the arsenal.

For me I would say...

MGS4 (hot damn that suit is just so cool. Anybody that disagrees hates freedom :devilish: )
FFXIII (the real-time parts makes people swear it's CGI. Pretty obvious it's one of the best)
Gears of War (chainsaws cutting, alien/monster shooting, and great backgrounds)
Mass Effect (simply gorgeous)
Heavenly Sword (love at first sight. HDR lighting, surfaces, etc are great)

rabidrabbit said:
Halo 3 trailer was just too.. uneventful, I guess :D
In-game - something that is done withe the game-engine. That must be the generally accepted description today ;)

No I believe something done with teh game engine is referred to as 'realtime' ;)

scooby_dooby said:
What is it about the term in-game that people don't understand?

I agree, The Graphic engine is just a little part of the entire code, showing scripted action is meaningless. Once you turn on the AI, physics, collision detect, state changes, texture thrashing, controller hooks, game logic, ect... then your GFX's engine can be put to the test.

Show me all those PC/console games with GFX's approaching ATI's Ruby(toyshop, assassin, ect..) or Nvidia numerous demos(luna, nala, dawn, ect..). There really aren't any and thats because you can't burn all your precious CPU cycles, just showing the GFX engine.(MSG4, FF, HALO3),you need some for AI, CD, ect.....

Even when you stop a demo(MSG4, HALO3) to 'move' the camera around, says little about the graphics prowess, the AI, physics, collision detect, state changes, texture thrashing, controller hooks, game logic are all turned off, the CPU/GPU have all day to render non-gamplay elements.

EricVonZipper said:
I agree, The Graphic engine is just a little part of the entire code, showing scripted action is meaningless. Once you turn on the AI, physics, collision detect, state changes, texture thrashing, controller hooks, game logic, ect... then your GFX's engine can be put to the test.

Show me all those PC/console games with GFX's approaching ATI's Ruby(toyshop, assassin, ect..) or Nvidia numerous demos(luna, nala, dawn, ect..). There really aren't any and thats because you can't burn all your precious CPU cycles, just showing the GFX engine.(MSG4, FF, HALO3),you need some for AI, CD, ect.....

Even when you stop a demo(MSG4, HALO3) to 'move' the camera around, says little about the graphics prowess, the AI, physics, collision detect, state changes, texture thrashing, controller hooks, game logic are all turned off, the CPU/GPU have all day to render non-gamplay elements.

MGS4 may be the exception though, Kojima has a good track record, if not the best and most respected track record there is.

But I see your point, graphics are one thing, but theres much more to it than that. If I had to pick one game that tops all the games at e3, It would be crysis. For consoles, that one game would easily be Heavenly Sword.

scooby_dooby said:
lol, don't get mad at me because you misread the thread title.
I'm not mad, I'm just calling you a pedant.

In-game, in-engine, realtime; all of these used to mean more-or-less the same thing. Now apparently I have to seperate them all up because 'zomg it doesn't have a HUD' or some or ridiculously pedantic reason.

My criterion; is it being rendered in real-time?

Wow

nAo said:
Yep..everything cast/receive shadows over/from everything..dynamically. no precomputed shadows.

This is very impressive my friend. Thank you for this information. I wonder what other game has this amazing feature of only dynamic shadows. Is like Doom3 but with too many characters and objects no? Doom3 has easy job.

Also, only flaw I see in HS graphics (nothing is perfect no?) is same as what other people notice and that is the clipping hair of the female. Movement of the female's hair is very beautiful but I wonder is SPE good for collision for clipping? Duck demo says it is no problem but I do not know because I do not know what is precalculated part for duck demo because that demo is too amazing for physics and I wonder can even CELL do that!

Bad_Boy said:
MGS4 may be the exception though, Kojima has a good track record, if not the best and most respected track record there is.

But I see your point, graphics are one thing, but theres much more to it than that. If I had to pick one game that tops all the games at e3, It would be crysis. For consoles, that one game would easily be Heavenly Sword.

I watched the HS video and i really have no idea what you're all jabbering on about. It looks extremely stylish and the animation and moves are killer. Reminds me alot of Prince of Persia though. Watch the 2005 E3 video presentation of PoP 2 thrones, its literally like deja vu with the combat moves. I think people are mixing style in cinamatics and special moves with graphic quality too much in their judgment which is a bit unfair.

In my opinion all Unreal 3.0 engine games stole the show in graphic beauty. Nothing has come close to the atmosphere that engine can portray in things like Vegas, GoW, Brothers in arms, not to mention U3 itself. If you want to make a seperate list for most stylish game or vid, have at it ;). But if that arena with a few barrels and chairs you can break and the same looking badies coming at ya was the best thing you saw thats a bit odd. As i said, its by far the most impressive combat animation but i think that should be seperate.

Have to give the overall nod to UE3 with crysis close behind.

predicate said:
I'm not mad, I'm just calling you a pedant.

In-game, in-engine, realtime; all of these used to mean more-or-less the same thing. Now apparently I have to seperate them all up because 'zomg it doesn't have a HUD' or some or ridiculously pedantic reason.

There's nothing pendantic about it. There's a big difference between a realtime cut scene and actual in-game graphics.

Look at the GOW cut scenes with the close up facial shot, compare that to gameplay. Big difference no? They are both realtime, but it's hardly a fair comparison. Personally I think the term 'in-game graphics' is pretty explicit.

Ok, lets take your definition, the best 'in-game graphics' ever shown on a console was the toy story demo. After all...it's being rendered in realtime right?

Last edited by a moderator:
well here is 1Ups Best of E3

notice how they break it down to Best Game and Best Trailer.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3150431

Best 360 Game:
Mass Effect

Runners Up:
Gears of War
Lost Planet
Bioshock
Splinter Cell Double Agent
---------------------------------

Best PS3 Game
Assassin's Creed

Runners Up:
Warhawk
Resistance: Fall of Man
Heavenly Sword
Mercenaries
-----------------------------------------

Best Game Trailer
Metal Gear Solid 4

Runners Up:
Halo 3
Final Fantasy XIII
Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros Brawl
-----------------------------------

Game of Show
Spore

Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed had a lot of our editors' votes, but Spore ultimately received the most for being leaps and bounds beyond anything at the show. It's massive, it's completely unique, and the demo inspired all of our jaws to drop on several occasions.

Runners Up:

Mass Effect
Assassins' Creed
Gears of War
Quake Wars
----------------------------

Looking at the above argument, I always thought it was :

1.) In-game = real-time = real-time cutscene graphics

2.) Gameplay graphics is another category.

nelg said:
I thought I read somewhere that Assassin's Creed was also coming to the Xbox 360.

It appears that way; similarly SC: Double Agent I believe is PS3 bound as well. I think the 1Up awards are maybe based on the platform it was played one/demoed/presented for at E3? Of course there is the whole conspiracy theory about Assassin's Creed, but it don't really matter since it is PS3 bound and Ubi ain't talking about the 360 version right now.

Acert93 said:
It appears that way; similarly SC: Double Agent I believe is PS3 bound as well. I think the 1Up awards are maybe based on the platform it was played one/demoed/presented for at E3? Of course there is the whole conspiracy theory about Assassin's Creed, but it don't really matter since it is PS3 bound and Ubi ain't talking about the 360 version right now.
What about Mercenaries? Anyone know?

Back