Best big screen tv from Best Buy right now?

Well, for future reference I would pick them:

1) JVC

1a) Samsung

3) Magnavox

The reason being that DLP hurts my eyes. It doesn't affect most people but if your one of them it can be annoying. However, Samsung is definately the way to go if DLP is for you.

A good, if outdated, article here.

After the holidays and January sales ahoy!

Personally I am still waiting for (a) an extremely large bonus and (b) 1080p sets to become widespread so maybe Xmas 2006.

Now my wife wants to know if it would be alright if she took a shower and ran off to Niles to pick it all up. :rolleyes:

Man, xmas is a frigging rollercoaster for me. :LOL:

ninelven said:
The reason being that DLP hurts my eyes. It doesn't affect most people but if your one of them it can be annoying. However, Samsung is definately the way to go if DLP is for you.

A good, if outdated, article here.
Do DLPs that have seperate components for each color instead of the wheel still hurt your eyes? Or have you tried looking at them? It seemed to me that the silly color wheel would be responsible for that for the most part.

I like the tech behind DLP, but I fear I'd be one of those who'd see the rainbows.

My wife wanted plasma since it's supposed to have the absolute best picture right now, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Either way her and the kids are all excited, and she actually went to get it about 20 minutes ago.

Okay, I've lost the story amongst the thrill and chills of this great HDTV Christmas caper. :LOL: What did you end up with?

Sxotty said:
Do DLPs that have seperate components for each color instead of the wheel still hurt your eyes?
I wasn't aware DLPs without a color wheel existed... I guess I haven't encountered one yet though because I try to watch all I come across (no luck yet). Got a link?

EDIT: the new Samsungs look promising though... I'll have to check them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
digitalwanderer said:
I like the tech behind DLP, but I fear I'd be one of those who'd see the rainbows.

Only a few % of people actually see the rainbow effect.

digitalwanderer said:
My wife wanted plasma since it's supposed to have the absolute best picture right now, but I don't know if that is true or not.

It's better than DLP and LCD imo. BUT, and this is the caveat, you have to buy the proper set because cheap plasmas look like crap (just as cheap LCDs do).

digitalwanderer said:
Either way her and the kids are all excited, and she actually went to get it about 20 minutes ago.

Whoa, you folks are impulse buyers!

digitalwanderer said:
Yay! I finally found an actual info page for the TV and all the manuals!

Turns out it's a Phillips...

Oh, interesting. Any reason why you/she choose that particular model?

Ty said:
Oh, interesting. Any reason why you/she choose that particular model?
Yeah, it was on sale and blew away any comparable models by about a grand. Her decision, not mine.

I figure if we don't like it we can take it back and get a different one, the big thing is to get her hooked on the bigger screen....the rest is just details. ;)

Geo- $1,799.99 Magnavox 42" Widescreen Plasma HDTV with DVI-HDCP and VGA Inputs
$150 Insigniaâ„¢ 1,000W 6.1-Ch. Home Theater System with Progressive-Scan DVD/CD/MP3 Player
$249.99 Bush TV Stand for Tube TVs Up to 36" or Flat-Panel TVs Up to 60" - Metallic Silver

Pictures can be found on the previous page over here.

My wife just called and she's at BB now waiting in line to pick it all up and bring it home, I got about an hour before it all gets here and a LOT to do before it comes! I still have to get rid of the stereo/tv/entertainment center we currently got there so we'll have room for it. :???:

It'll get worse later, I'll have to bust my daughter's internet connection at somepoint to get the fireplace ready. We only use it once a year on xmas, and mainly just for the convenience/fun of burning the wrapping paper....but since I have her 'puter in the living room right now since I'm redoing her bedroom floors I'm temporarily running her network cable thru the fireplace & chimney to the basement fireplace. I don't think it'd survive a fire.

Gotta run, LOTS to do!

Who is your cable company? Started working it at that end yet? I'm assuming you'll want high-def for more than just your XB360. Tho that one seemed to have a built-in Tuner, so a decent antenna ought to bring in some of your local HD broadcasts. HD DVR is so cool, our Comcast box comes with it built in. Or, of course, you could build yourself a HTPC and have a ton more storage.

geo said:
Or, of course, you could build yourself a HTPC and have a ton more storage.

But won't you/he be limited to only OTA HD programming?

MS just signed on to support Cablecard for Vista (I presume) so the time when you plug your cable directly into the PC is coming....thank goodness too because I want to build a home media server.

Or is there a way to decode HD cable programming now? I'm a bit sketchy in details about this.

Ty said:
But won't you/he be limited to only OTA HD programming?

MS just signed on to support Cablecard for Vista (I presume) so the time when you plug your cable directly into the PC is coming....thank goodness too because I want to build a home media server.

Or is there a way to decode HD cable programming now? I'm a bit sketchy in details about this.

Well, I meant you could bring the cable into the HTPC and do the DVR function there instead of the (typically smallish) built-in DVR that some cable boxes have. Depends on how much storage you like to have, and typically the cable company charges more for one with a DVR built-in. So there would still be a cable box, but it would output to the HTPC and then the HTPC would output to the TV. At least I'm assuming that's how something like that would work. I haven't done it, so if someone else knows better, jump in.

Uhm, I need to talk to my cable company?

We have digital cable thru comcast and a digital tuner box on that tv. I've been going thru my filing cabinet pulling out an assortment of useful cables for the set-up.

(About a dozen good quality RCA patch cables of various flavors & sizes and some horking long viddy cables. :) )

I figure I'll have to order a HDMI -> DMI converter (or whatever it's called), but I figure I'll have time to sort that all out as it comes up.

Found a good thread over at AVS forums about the TV, sounds like I won't be too disapointed even if I won't be blown away.

My guess is you do. "Digital cable" not = HD in most cases that I'm familiar with. There is a whole different set of channels for HD. . . If you have Comcast, tell 'em you want HD with the HD PVR. Yum.

Off to the in-laws for the festivities. . .good luck and congrats!

Wow, it's really all here! :oops:

I just got done tearing down and moving the old entertainment center into the basement when my wife drove up. The TV was no problem for the two of us, but that TV stand was a BIATCH!!!

It's all sitting in boxes in the living room, I'm taking a brief steak-break to refuel before setting it all up. I'll have about 1 hour and 15 minutes to do it all before we have to go to my Mom's for xmas eve. :LOL:

How's the TV?

DigitalWanderer,
I am considering buying the 42" Magnavox Plasma that you got. I just wanted to find out what your thoughts are on it's performance. Is it everything you expected? Good picture? Any problems? Please let me know. Thanks!

bmccleary said:
DigitalWanderer,
I am considering buying the 42" Magnavox Plasma that you got. I just wanted to find out what your thoughts are on it's performance. Is it everything you expected? Good picture? Any problems? Please let me know. Thanks!
I couldn't be happier with it. One thing is the sound SUCKS on it, I bought a cheap $150 DVD/5.1 channel sound system when I got it though and it works great like that. :)

Back