Best big screen tv from Best Buy right now?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Sorry in advance for the panicked "HELP!" call, but it's a panicked help call.

My wife just informed me that we're thinking of getting a big screen tv for xmas from Best Buy since we got a financing deal from 'em, but now she wants me to tell her which one is right for us.

Which one is right for us? Here's their selection. :???:

I just want one so I can finally justify picking up an X360, but aside from that I'm clueless. It would be for my living room and we'd be sitting about 10' away from the TV at max.

Any input? The rear projection ones seem to be bigger, but I ain't a fan of projection & TV...

The wife tells you that you have made a joint decision on a big screen tv and the first you hear of it is after the event?

I wish my wife was like yours... she only informs me that she needs a new wardrobe.

Edit: what is your budget?

Tahir2 said:
The wife tells you that you have made a joint decision on a big screen tv and the first you hear of it is after the event?

I wish my wife was like yours... she only informs me that she needs a new wardrobe.
My wife is the wage earner in the family and controls the budget, I just react.

what is your budget?
No clue, apparently from what she's saying so far 2-3k range I'm guessing.

She doesn't mind paying for quality, I just want to make sure we don't waste money on something we don't need and we get a good value.

Philips does generally tend to be more expensive than the rest at equivalent specification.

Best advice for now is that do not buy a Plasma or other large screen TV without a demonstration. I would also stick to the well known brands as I have seen some appalling large screen TV's from no-name manufacturers that seem cheaper but are just crap.

Browsing BB selection now..

Price range, space requirements, size preferences and any other information would be helpful.

Best realestate (inches per dollar) while maintaining a decent range of quality is going to come from a DLP projection. I'm rather fond of the advantages offered by some of the nicer plasma's myself.

digitalwanderer said:

The phillips has quite a few more inputs and 2hdmi vs dvi, it also seems to offer better sound (more power + simulated surround) which is nothing really if you have a home theatre speaker system.

edit and the phillips is on sale atm for 2799 if you check the cart.

edit2 This Samsung looks not bad on paper. Better color, brightness and contrast for less than the phillips. at 2499

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm clueless and BB's site ain't helping, any input would be appreciated.

What's the big deal on inputs? What will I really need for cable & an X360? (And probably Bubbles, can't get a big screen tv without hooking the 'puter up to it...but if the TV can take cable I can make it take my PC.)

What are the "safe" brands for plasma, and am I correct in assuming that is the best picture quality? What are it's drawbacks? Why would I prefer DLP projection over it, and what IS "DLP projection"?

I'm not panicking, I'm just trying to understand too much too quickly. :???: Thanks much for all the advice/patience. :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7266308&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat31800050028&id=1117177367491

Panasonic 42" my personal favourite of the moment.. awesome picture quality and great blacks - has HDMI.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7393304&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat31800050028&id=1122655018018

Rivals the Panasonic in picture quality and only costs a bit more in the UK. No idea why it is so expensive compared to the Panasonic set in the US.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7119389&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat31800050028&id=1110265592581

Have seen this in action too but not side-by-side with the Panasonic or Pioneer. Seemed pretty good to me.

I would consider getting a DLP set and some of the. Have seen the Sagem and Samsung DLP sets in the UK and have pretty good viewing angles... they have some Magnavox models in their range and would consider them too but not without a viewing. Not completely flat at the rear though.

There are some JVC LCOS sets their too and I don't know enough about them to give any opinion.

I can't stand the Bravia 50" 3LCD rear projection TV but it is cheap... has poor viewing angles.

Bah, where's l-b when you need him? He's got the HDTV thing down to an art. Just look at his suggestions on other threads...he really seems to know what he's talking about.

IIRC, he said the Bravias from Sony are quite nice, especially when it comes to their analog picture quality. I guess it depends on how much actual HD content you'll be watching.

DLP's are quite nice too...

But again, I'd ask l-b.

digitalwanderer said:
What are the "safe" brands for plasma, and am I correct in assuming that is the best picture quality? What are it's drawbacks? Why would I prefer DLP projection over it, and what IS "DLP projection"?

I'm not sure any brands are safe, you have to be sure you are getting what you want/need at a good price. Samsung, panasonic, pioneer are fairly safe though as long as you are careful.

DLP projection is basically the best of rear projection sets (you can google up the technical differences if you want over normal lcd projection), the advantage over the plasmas is that you would be able to get a much larger screen for the money. Floor space will suffer, quality will vary but if you are looking to place it in an ideal viewing condition situation a lot of the disadvantages in quality may seem small.

As I've mentioned before you need to figure out the following:
  1. Budget - which you've gotten out of the way - congrats
  2. How far back are you sitting? This will help you to determine...
    1. Screen Size - and of course the available space you have in your entertainment center
  3. Personal Preference - Do you prefer to watch your TV in:
    1. Near Total Darkness to recreate the Movie Theater experience?
      1. If so you will want a set with very good contrast ratios so blacks are black and not gray.
    2. Or do you watch in fairly well lit rooms?
      1. Then contrast is less important and perhaps punchier colors is what you want. Colors that pop off the screen as opposed to a neutral take on things (Panny PDPs are more neutral compared to Pio PDPs.)
  4. SD/HD mix - some sets are NOT so good at SD broadcasts because their scalers suck.
If you must go RP, then take a serious look at the Samsung DLPs. If you're good with Plasma, I recommend the Panasonic 8th but that might be stretching your budget.
Kanyamagufa said:
IIRC, he said the Bravias from Sony are quite nice, especially when it comes to their analog picture quality. I guess it depends on how much actual HD content you'll be watching.

Bravias ARE nice but beyond his budget at a decent screen size. The next gen of Sharp Aquos are due in March or so and might be better bang for the buck (and I say this even though I can get the Bravias for over 25% off retail price).

Safe for Xbox360 - probably. As good as the Panasonic or Samsung? Not likely (but it is $1000 cheaper).

If you cannot view it right now together I would just wait until you can.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7119389&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat31800050028&id=1110265592581

Go for this one for $500 more. Much safer IMO.

12bit screen (same as the panasonic)
Very high contrast ratio so you get good blacks (specs exxaggerate it)
Connections are good: 1 composite video, 2 component video (Y, Pb, Pr), 1 S-video, 1 PC (RGB), 1 HDMI, 1 stereo audio, 2 RF

I have seen it in action and can vouch for its quality - worth the extra $500 over the Magnavox for peace of mind when getting a known brand. I think they have 2 years warranty too but not sure.

Tahir2 said:
Safe for Xbox360 - probably. As good as the Panasonic or Samsung? Not likely (but it is $1000 cheaper).

If you cannot view it right now together I would just wait until you can.

Well actually its $1000 or $500 cheaper respectively if you check the cart.

Thanks both. The reviews of the Magnavox make it look to be not too bad. Good picture/crappy sound, but I can dust off my stereo to cover that.

I'm gonna try and steer her towards the Samsung Tahir recomended though, it does sound like it's worth the extra cash. :)

digitalwanderer said:
I'm gonna try and steer her towards the Samsung Tahir recomended though, it does sound like it's worth the extra cash. :)

Most TVs have crap sound so yes, I wouldn't worry about it.

One question for you before you buy that DLP.

Do you EVER lie down in front of it (At home I sometimes recline on the floor while playing video games)?

Strike that too and turn the sound system into a JVC 1000W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with Progressive-Scan DVD/CD/MP3 Player, me and my wife both prefer how the satelite speakers look.

So it'd be this:

7275575_ra.jpg

with these:

7016695_ra.jpg

on one of these:

6982205_ra.jpg

Order is being placed now, thanks for all your help all!!!! :D

Back