An Nvidia console seems a no brainer to me. Who else could Console?

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Rangers, Feb 6, 2018.

1. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Anything with the Geforce branding (including Titan) is part of consumer/gaming segment.

Nvidia know that their gaming cards are being used commercially and clearly don't like this, which is why they changed their software licence terms recently. I don't fully understand Nvidia's position here but I don't understand their economics beyond what they report. From where I sit, it looked like a move to try to get enterprise to buy the more expensive cards even when the consumer cards are fine for an awful lot of applications.

Regardless, the majority of Nvidia's profits are not derived from actual gamers. They know, analysts know it, everybody in the enterprise and data centre business knows it.

2. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Recent Titan's are just Titan's, no longer "Geforce Titans".

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yes, this is why I'm no longer certain if they are in the gaming segment anymore as NV attempt to more accurately portray their market segmentation. It only helps them if they properly move non-gaming revenue out of the gaming segment as that boosts stockholder interest (already high) in their professional segments (small revenue but extremely high margin).

Regards,
    SB

4. turkey

Regular Newcomer

Neither do the gamers, dam crypto currency miners :lol:

5. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Nvidia has a habit of saying one thing ...then whispering something totally different. Barring the Titan V, the GTX branding still covers the Titan Xp, even without the GTX branding card logo. As you can plainly see, the Xp is primarily for gaming, regardless of what Nvidia mummers.

Nvidia removing the GTX branding logo from the Titan line was mostly over internet noise that the GTX Titans were only offering minimal gains (i.e., performance), when compared to its 1080/ti brethren. Instead of scrapping the Titan brand (margins are too great, so nope to that idea), they simply re-categorized the Titans under the professional’s umbrella.

I see it as this …if any of the future line of Titans don’t contain any tensor cores or AI related logic, but are merely boosted clocks, some additional VRAM and CUDA cores, it’s simply a higher-end GTX without the logo. Moving the Titan brand (other than Titan V) under the professional/workstation category is somewhat crazy, when your own website is stating otherwise.

6. bunge

Regular Newcomer

Do we like and/or prefer NVIDIA for some reason?

7. DSoup

DSoup meh

True but they remain under the Geforce Gaming product line.

8. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Seemingly great perf per watt per area per perkele per perk per pew per perdition per pack per person ppppppppffff :sleeping:

egoless, Shortbread and Picao84 like this.
  9. milk

Veteran Regular

The only no-brainer abou entering the console business is to not do it I think. It's not impossible, after all, the big three right now all entered the market when it felt like a crazy idea, but managed it. But dozens of other's didn't, and all those three have had their good share of hardship.
    You just don't wanna be on the console market man, its not healthy.

egoless likes this.
  10. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

In the PC gaming space Nvidia gets it. Their GPU performance and driver support (for the most part) is there. AMD on the other hand, when it comes to GPU performance across it's lineup on average, tends to lag behind in performance when compared to Nvidia's high-end (Titan) and pro-level cards (1070/1080/ti). And this coming from a guy who strictly supported ATI/AMD at one time, and still owns one or more cards like the HD 4870, HD 5970, HD 6990, R9 295X2 and a beloved Radeon 9800 Pro.<3

Anyhow, AMD fits well within the console gaming space for obvious reasons (pricing), where Nvidia can't compete or simply will not compete.

11. zed

zed
    Veteran

FWIW Just read on arstechnica nvidia recent margins are 38%! Thats a lot higher than even Apple's

12. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

To be fair, making lots of money has allowed Nvidia to spend lots of money on developing and delivering products that allow them to continue to make lots of money. AMD...not so much.

Shortbread, Silent_Buddha and swaaye like this.
  13. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I just wish NV would spend more money on their crappy drivers. This 1070 of mine is a great card being let down by subpar drivers (in anything other than the latest AAA games).

Regards,
    SB

14. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Just consider it a net positive when new Nvidia drivers come out that dont cause the cards to catch on fire.

bunge likes this.
  15. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

If anything they are going to double down on GeForce Now, not a console.

16. DSoup

DSoup meh

What margins?

17. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Not a finn, but growing up in the nordics you pick up a word here and there. The other one I always recognise is "Ei saa peittää", in Norway you find that on the electrical heaters....

AlBran and Dr Evil like this.
  18. Pixel

Regular

It won't be done because the revenue available from carving out a portion of the marketshare for a new console maker is too low to justify the extremely high barriers/cost of entry. Think about how expensive it would be to establish a console that is competitive enough in hardware/ services/ pricing/ exclusives that can carve away a 3rd of PS4/X1's userbase.

The market is too saturated and the existing competitors are too entrenched.

What does make sense is to release a Cloud gaming platform Like Geforce Now. Google is also likely looking into a cloud gaming platform.

#38 Pixel, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  19. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Are you trying to tell me that those $1000 iPhones give a profit marging below 38%?

20. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

Huh, no problems at all with my 1070... but I do play mostly new games, although certainly not all AAA. What games are you having issues with?

Also, about the Shield.. one of it's biggest selling points is that it runs android but also plays Amazon Video. This is only true with the Shield and Sony TVs because apparently they both have a deal with Amazon. Other android streaming devices and TVs can't install an Amazon app unless it's an Amazon product.

Just thought I'd add that if you were wondering about the Shields relative success and great reviews even though it's not a great success as a gaming console.