B3D News Item: Challenge: Find Differences between Crysis 2 Console SKUs

I really hope you are joking because Far Cry 2 on 360 doesn't come remotely close to Crysis 2.Remotely.The fact that it has slightly higher resolution means absolutely nothing.

BTW that engine is updated Cryengine 1 by Ubisoft.

Well that's where we differ mate, I'm all for a clean iq first and fancy stuffs later;).

Well that's where we differ mate, I'm all for a clean iq first and fancy stuffs later;).
Crysis 2 SP that I played definitely had clean IQ.Coupled with really nice textures and healthy amount AF you can't ask for more on consoles.

Than trow in best lighting that you can find,beautiful HDR flares,camera/object motion blur,bokeh effect and you get yourself a really impressive looking console game ;)

Oh...and edit :)

Far Cry 2 = 1274x692 (QAA, black borders)

Today ive got the PS3 version of this game. Patch 1.01 is avaliable (day one patch like GT5). Whats new in this patch... anyone?

The videos are very low quality.
The temporall AA is a problem (ghosting everywhere).
Realtime GI is there too but the lod is very aggressive cca 1,5-2 meters from player for movable objects like barrels.

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned above, the single player footage looks much smoother. I can handle the screen rez being a bit lower, but not a MP style frame rate. It 'seems' my wish 'might' of come true.
it looks like the options are severely limited in MP if they want to run some of the basic features of the engine like GI and other stuff, but you can never know if that has been the bottleneck of the demo.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must once again resume my daily activities around here. I am very hyped about the game's release date and I am very looking forward to its release.

Crysis 2 SP that I played definitely had clean IQ.Coupled with really nice textures and healthy amount AF you can't ask for more on consoles.

Than trow in best lighting that you can find,beautiful HDR flares,camera/object motion blur,bokeh effect and you get yourself a really impressive looking console game ;)

Oh...and edit :)

Far Cry 2 = 1274x692 (QAA, black borders)
Still not satisfied but it is a mighty fine looking game none the less. I'm just disappointed that it's not up to my iq standard that's all.

Today ive got the PS3 version of this game. Patch 1.01 is avaliable (day one patch like GT5). Whats new in this patch... anyone?

Probably fixing MP mess from the demo

The videos are very low quality.

I'm not suprised, most multi devs don't give a f*** about gazilions of gigabytes left on the disc...

The temporall AA is a problem (ghosting everywhere).
Realtime GI is there too but the lod is very aggressive cca 1,5-2 meters from player for movable objects like barrels.

What about the framerate?

I can't understand why there's ghosting, though. I didn't see it at all on the PC version, or in the 360 demo. Usually the TAA is disabled when the images can't be blended correctly.

Both PC and 360 versions had ghosting. Pretty noticable on the windmills in Skyline.

Hope the DF analysis goes up soon after release so I can finally decide on the right version for me :smile: PC demo didn't really perform to my liking..

Also, please just stop the KZ talk before this gets out of hand again..

I will probably see the 360 version today on a friend and I must say that I'm really curious to see what Crytek has done with the console versions - you guys make it sound like something really special.

BTW anyone tried to play the game installed? any differences in loading or even pop-up when playing from the disc? IIRC GTAIV pop-up was reduced when the game was installed.

Can't wait to see the game on my HDTV set - I have the 360 version pre-ordered and I will possibly have the game in Tuesday. :D

Probably fixing MP mess from the demo

I'm not suprised, most multi devs don't give a f*** about gazilions of gigabytes left on the disc...

What about the framerate?

Framerate is not as bad like GTA4. Little choppy in open open world. It freezes when game is saving/loading like in KZ2.

The biggest prolem for this game is LOD. Very,very,very aggressive.

Both PC and 360 versions had ghosting. Pretty noticable on the windmills in Skyline.

Hope the DF analysis goes up soon after release so I can finally decide on the right version for me :smile: PC demo didn't really perform to my liking..

Also, please just stop the KZ talk before this gets out of hand again..
Of course, for objects moving within the frame, but 'severe' ghosting would be something that occurs during regular camera movement.

FDR ('Lab Rat', I think it's called in-game) is just a terrible, terrible looking level:
FDR.jpg

It's something that just made me go 'ugh'. The lighting choices and design are just really poor.

It's even worse because it could be so much better (shot from an earlier part of the game):
2ndLevel.jpg

I hope it's not this inconsistent throughout the entire game.

Still some bugginess with the reflections it seems.

No bug, it it is lower reflections updaterate to save perfomance. It's evident when panning. Crysis had 0.05 and silky smooth but this seems like 0.2-0.25. proably around 15-20fps then. I assume PC version on higher settings also has smooth reflection updaterate. The perfomance impact is also relative to how many objects are reflected.

This appears to be the case in the comparison at gamingbolt as well:
http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/crysis-2-3.jpg
http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/crysis-2-2.jpg

The wall dispensers, waste cans in the bottom left, basin all cast shadows in the PC version, but not in either console version.
Objects either cast shadows or they don't - you can't specify it per graphics level (or game version, etc). What you can specify, though, is whether certain lights will have shadow-casting, which is why the bathroom light is casting the shadow on the PC but not on the consoles.

Objects either cast shadows or they don't - you can't specify it per graphics level (or game version, etc). What you can specify, though, is whether certain lights will have shadow-casting, which is why the bathroom light is casting the shadow on the PC but not on the consoles.
The bathroom stalls on the right side of the screen aren't casting shadows in the PC version either.
Lights can of course be coded to accept object lists to include or exclude from shadow casting.

Back