B3D News Item: Challenge: Find Differences between Crysis 2 Console SKUs

The bathroom stalls on the right side of the screen aren't casting shadows in the PC version either.
Lights can of course be coded to accept object lists to include or exclude from shadow casting.

CE2/CE3 allows for customisation for each object/category as in if they will cast shadows, self-shadow etc (though AFAIK self-shadowing is always on if shadow casting is enabled no mather setting). Also in some angles shadows on slopes might be clipping due to game using a shadow slope bias with a value of 4. A value of 1 pretty much fixes this for some slight very rarely visible shadow distortion.

Last edited by a moderator:
No bug, it it is lower reflections updaterate to save perfomance. It's evident when panning. Crysis had 0.05 and silky smooth but this seems like 0.2-0.25. proably around 15-20fps then. I assume PC version on higher settings also has smooth reflection updaterate. The perfomance impact is also relative to how many objects are reflected.
The water reflections seem to work differently in both console versions, judging by this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7daGkdU86pc&t=15s&hd=1

I can't discern exactly what are the differences but they look different to me. The underwater part is clearly dissimilar between both consoles.

Also, there is a PC and PS3 comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U89TrAcaTl8&t=16s&hd=1

Finally, PC-Xbox 360 comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gj6fgnMvQw&t=20s&hd=1

I set every video to play at the adequate time mark telling where to look in the video.

I am not knowledgeable in the matter but in these forums there are some people who have a considerably better grasp of what graphics is than I do, and better understand how some settings work, but it's obvious they look different, at least to me anyways.

Crysis 2 is a complex game featuring many different techniques, and the DF article might shed light on these matters.

In terms of gamma and lighting I saw no real differences between pc and ps3 muliplayer demo (tried both at home). CryEngine3 is a good start as a complete package for dev, but there is definitely some room for optimisation.

Direct feed for B3D :)
Crysis2360-4.jpg

PS3
PS3Crysis22.jpg

Crysis2360-3.jpg
PS3
PS3Crysis3.jpg

Direct feed for B3D :)
Crysis2360-4.jpg

PS3
PS3Crysis22.jpg

Crysis2360-3.jpg
PS3
PS3Crysis3.jpg

Where are those from? PS3 version look a bit blurrier/less defined, far more than the resolution difference could possibly cause. Otherwise they are virtually identical with minor differences in rendering.

I'm not sure why the PS3 version would be like that. I'm just going to wait for the eventual DF analysis before taking those at face value. I think there was something wrong during the capture of the PS3 screen, but maybe not.

And all that said, the texture detail is fantastic.

Regards,
SB

Yeah I think the excessive blur is from their post-process solution.

Is that an AO bug in the second shot or just slightly different placement of the concrete barricades?

The second set of shots have the PS3 player slightly farther back then the X360 player. So the AO may not have "popped in" yet?

Regards,
SB

Maybe the lower the resolution is their AA blurs image more?

For reference, they compute a colour deviation from the surrounding pixels (four lookups w/ bilinear filtering to get all 8), upon which the blur strength is based, determined for the central pixel. It should be tweakable, but... eh... I'd be curious to see videos of the PC version (since we don't have any other way of messing around) with the filter on and off.

Where are those from? PS3 version look a bit blurrier/less defined, far more than the resolution difference could possibly cause. Otherwise they are virtually identical with minor differences in rendering.

I'm not sure why the PS3 version would be like that. I'm just going to wait for the eventual DF analysis before taking those at face value. I think there was something wrong during the capture of the PS3 screen, but maybe not.

And all that said, the texture detail is fantastic.

Regards,
SB

would the bottom two pics being taken from different distance have something to do with that?

it seems the 360 pic is closer to those objects, compared to the PS3 one. With the game pushing so much on screen, from taking pics I would think LOD (right wording?) would be affected by even a slight difference in distance.

would the bottom two pics being taken from different distance have something to do with that?

it seems the 360 pic is closer to those objects, compared to the PS3 one. With the game pushing so much on screen, from taking pics I would think LOD (right wording?) would be affected by even a slight difference in distance.

No because it's also quite evident in the top set of pictures which is at an identical distance and perspective.

Regards,
SB

Ah missed "console" part.

Legit? Supposedly from retail. This goes beyond the 3 previous presets, "gamer", "advanced" and "hardcore". Btw FYI I said a v.h mode would be called "extreme" month ago.

x2uczq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a hoax. Previews have only mentioned three settings.
Or maybe Crytek has something up its sleeve :devilish:

Probably a hoax. Previews have only mentioned three settings.
Or maybe Crytek has something up its sleeve :devilish:

Technically a 4th preset exists in the beta cvar config wise and shader wise. Several shaders do a preset check for "very high" for improved quality and/or added effects. Some of them though could be "unlocked" by editing main shader libarary preset reading to make everything trigger at "high". Some things might have worked unless stored shader cache prevented it. Dunno though if Crytek will expose it in menu.

Back