Are you going to get GTA4?

Are you going to get GTA4?

• Total voters
Keep in mind that Dot50Cal is playing on a dev kit which may be performing differently from the actual console.

The only problem I noticed on the PS3 version are the jaggies in the power lines and fences (also in 360s ?). They stand out against a bright blue sky (on a 720p LCD monitor). The aliasing in other objects are noticeable too but they are (much) more refined. They don't bother me at all.

Teasy, I drive the car onto the curb, into the lights and through the windows/doors (if they fit) all the time. For me, it's mostly bad driving but I believe it's what people do in GTA to pass time.

Its strange how this bloke is always noticing the flaws in the 360 version (especially ones nobody else see's like screen tearing) yet he doesn't seem to see any flaw on PS3...

To update what I said about pop in. I watched the game as someone else played, as suggested, and I do notice it more now now (I hardly noticed at all when I was playing myself). Its still nothing major IMO, though no doubt different people will be more picky then others.. I still haven't seen something apear right in front of the car though, even when going at full speed in a fast car. Then again I don't tend to drive my cars half way on the curb.. :LOL:
dot50cal has always been very neutral. if there is a flaw in the ps3 version, he will say so. he does say the 360 version definitely looks a little sharper, and thats the only thing positive there is to say about the 360 version.

The other issue, oddly, was anti aliasing. I say oddly because to me it looked like the 360 version had anti aliasing, but I clearly remember reading some "review" online that claimed that it didn't.
It didn't have, or had less than PS3 version?
One important note here is that we have an lcd tv at work, and I find lcd's tend to really bring out aliasing issues. If you have a good plasma then it may not jump out as much.
I expect more ghosting and narrower color range on LCDs, hiding aliasing more so than others, assuming what is compared can actually resolve individual pixels correctly.

dot50cal has always been very neutral. if there is a flaw in the ps3 version, he will say so. he does say the 360 version definitely looks a little sharper, and thats the only thing positive there is to say about the 360 version.

and apparantly a working online system!

MP for PS3 is down now. GameSpy is working with R* and probably Sony too on this. I don't think it's a big problem since it can be up pretty soon, and we don't pay for the service. Other issues like jaggies and pop-ins will require more time to fix, if at all.

Even the scary Konami registration code problem blew over in a matter of days. After that, MGO has been smooth sailing, solid and still free.

I was thinking on buying it, but that "GTAIV problems" thread is giving me a headache... Maybe I should wait for the hype to cool down a bit and see if the game is really that good...

The freezing problem supposedly affect some 60Gb PS3. Mine is fine after 3+ hours of fooling around. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem is I happen to have one of those :)
I just hope that the game is that good, seems the only way I can justify an RROD (propably unlikely to be the games fault) or freezing of my PS3... I really hate it when console games are bugy...
How can I defragment the PS3 HDD really?

The freezing problem supposed only affected some 60Gb PS3. Mine is fine after 3+ hours of fooling around. YMMV.

Haven't played a great deal (as I keep saying!) but I had my 60Gb freeze last night during a short cut scene. The audio carried on in the background but no response (not even from pressing the PS button). Dissapointing to say the least.

Got the 360 version yesterday. Better storyline and better graphics but still GTA when it comes to controls, driving, etc. Only about 1 hour in but quite good - 8 ish so far.

The only problem I noticed on the PS3 version are the jaggies in the power lines and fences (also in 360s ?). They stand out against a bright blue sky (on a 720p LCD monitor). The aliasing in other objects are noticeable too but they are (much) more refined. They don't bother me at all.

Teasy, I drive the car onto the curb, into the lights and through the windows/doors (if they fit) all the time. For me, it's mostly bad driving but I believe it's what people do in GTA to pass time.

I try to drive well unless I'm being chased by the police. There's so much to do in his game that I don't ever feel the need to crash into things deliberately.

Yes I went and drank the kool-aid.. PS3 version on release day. It's pretty good so far.

Yes, there are tons of things to do in GTA4. I watched TV for about 5 minutes yesterday, they have put a lot of effort to mimick the real world.

When I mentioned crashing into things, besides my bad driving, I was referring to people trying to find bugs with the virtual world, getting a reaction from the AI, or jumping to inaccessible areas for trills, etc. It is true that GTA4 has even more activities than past games (e.g., multiplayer !). Nonetheless, I can imagine the same people taking those experiments online too (just like in RFOM), or into the mini-games.

For what it's worth, I got used to the graphics. I'll probably wait for someone's walkthru before I start the real game. How do you "sit" ? I passed by a few parks and thought it would be nice to sit and relax. But all I could do is to stand on the park benches or jump over. Can't sit next to the street bumps. :(

EDIT:
Yeah, driving is hard for me to, but can we please keep this a poll thread? :)

Agreed !

Back