Are PCs holding back the console experience? (Witcher3 spawn)

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Looks identical to me too but better to wait until the DF face off to draw any real conclusions. We know for sure the PC sports some improvements so whether they simply aren't noticeable or aren't present in this particular comparison we'll have to wait to find out.

In any case, I can't say I'm impressed at all with graphics tbh, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

I think the graphics look pretty good. Not groundbreaking by any means and a definite downgrade from what they've shown before but hey at least it should run well. Right?

PC Games Hardware (German) did a comparison of the PC (sorry, setting unknown - anybody read German?) and PS4 graphics.

And the same guys PC Max vs PC Min.

Let's the gnashing of teeth begin..

Note that in the harbour, the PC can draw fewer boats and no birds when rendering water!!! Shocking! :runaway: PS4 is also drawing more beard in most scenes! TRUTH!

The PC/PS4 video has been taken down. Shame if they do look basically identical, however.

As to the PC version. Ummm, why are the buildings in the background of the harbor more detailed on min settings than on max settings? I'm guessing it must be the AA applying a blur/vaseline filter over everything. Ugh, it looks horrible. Even the ships in the foreground lose a fair bit of detail at max settings compared to min settings. But the jaggies are gone.

Hopefully, there's an AA setting that doesn't have that horrible blur that is quite evident in the max settings. At least the fire scene doesn't seem to suffer from it.

Regards,
SB

Looks identical to me too but better to wait until the DF face off to draw any real conclusions. We know for sure the PC sports some improvements so whether they simply aren't noticeable or aren't present in this particular comparison we'll have to wait to find out.

In any case, I can't say I'm impressed at all with graphics tbh, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

The PC graphics were significantly better than this in 2013 than they are now. PC was dialed back to offer basically the same graphics as the consoles. Sad day.

Regards,
SB

Awesome game though, I don't care what anyone says!

Yeah, I'm waiting a bit longer before buying the PC version and playing it again. The XBO version blew my mind, the PC version should be so much better. Not least because it'll be at least 60 fps and not feel like it's being held back.

Regards,
SB

OK so I guess this thread was answered by CDP. The versions are identical and the PC has a lower form of HairWorks than the PS4.

So the answer is Yes.

OK so I guess this thread was answered by CDP. The versions are identical and the PC has a lower form of HairWorks than the PS4.

So the answer is Yes.

Here's the link for anyone not following the other thread:

http://whatifgaming.com/developer-i...-from-2013-list-of-all-features-taken-out-why

So direct from the horses mouth, consoles have specifically held back the graphics of the PC version in this game. I wonder how prevalent this is in other games. Very sad, especially for a dev that pushed the limits on PC in their previous (initially PC only) game from this series.

So direct from the horses mouth, consoles have specifically held back the graphics of the PC version in this game.

If you read the article you'll see it's not direct from the horses mouth. The article states clearly, "Again, because I can't reveal the identity of this developer for obvious reasons, I can tell anyone out there interested to take this whole thing with a grain of salt."

More salt over here, please! :yep2:

They also say "we advise everyone to take it with a grain of salt despite having vetted their identify ourselves" so it's not like it's some random forum poster. Of course the author or the article could be lying himself, or their vetting process could be flawed but it's nevertheless worthy of more attention than a random forum post.

And now to do a complete 180 on the post above, the following link seems to contradict everything said above and claims the PS4 vs PC comparison was actually pulled because it was unrepresentative of the PC and "made it look bad".

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/cd-pr...fferences-between-these-platforms/#more-77181
Good to hear but that still doesn't necessarily contradict the article. Higher resolution textures and some more NPCs is a slight bonus for PC, but the article is more about losing those modern PC effects.

They also say "we advise everyone to take it with a grain of salt despite having vetted their identify ourselves" so it's not like it's some random forum poster. Of course the author or the article could be lying himself, or their vetting process could be flawed but it's nevertheless worthy of more attention than a random forum post.
Well having never having heard of whatifgaming before today they have no credibility with me. How do I tell an accurate article from an article from some obscure website trying to drive up traffic and hits but publishing controversial and unattributable?

Back